The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great coastline shots -

I like the ominous clouds and weaving coastline highway in FIREd's shot

Great view of shoreline framed by trees in HFWR's

and framing and mist/fog in NW-Bound's photo.

These really make me want to take a road trip to northwest and travel the coastline

I have driven the Westcoast Hwy 1 through the years, each time a different segment. I still miss the segment called "The Lost Coast", which of course does not have the highway hugging it. That takes some rough road to get to, which I do not know if it's doable with an RV.

That just might depend on the "RV" :LOL:

Yes, a truck camper can go further. However, there are still places on that coast where there are only hiking trails. I guess I will never get to see those parts.

These really make me want to take a road trip to northwest and travel the coastline.

After researching for and buying an RV, I understood the difference between this mode of travel and the fly-and-drive method, or road trip in a car. Each has pluses and minuses. I wanted to experience them all. The only thing we do not do is backpacking and tent camping. Never did that when we were young, so will not start now when we are pre-geezers.

Last edited:
Please pardon my photos, as I am not an artsy kind of guy and take photos mainly as mementos of the places that I have been to.

As we talk about the West Coast, I might as well put up this photo of the Point Arena Lighthouse. We were there in 2012 for 1 week in an exchanged timeshare while our RV was parked. The earlier Oregon coast photo was taken in 2010.

Last edited:
You have not seen my other photos...

The Photographers' Corner

Please pardon my photos, as I am not an artsy kind of guy and take photos mainly as mementos of the places that I have been to.

As we talk about the West Coast, I might as well put up this photo of the Point Arena Lighthouse. We were there in 2012 for 1 week in an exchanged timeshare while our RV was parked. The earlier Oregon coast photo was taken in 2010.

Nice tonal range and contrast. The landscape stands out.

Leaving tomorrow to meander up to Maine. Plan to take our time, so I can get serious about photography again and stop taking snapshots. Got all summer, if necessary.

Last edited:
I've often thought that the most important component of my pics has been the planning and effort involved in getting to the right spot at the right time and that my technical abilities are nothing special. There's lots of folks with ability but the adventurous spirit is what pays off big time. Of course this is for the landscape / nature type photos I like to take.

I don't know why my coastline pic above is suddenly "unavailable". I can still see it on flickr so is the link broken?

I've often thought that the most important component of my pics has been the planning and effort involved in getting to the right spot at the right time and that my technical abilities are nothing special. There's lots of folks with ability but the adventurous spirit is what pays off big time. Of course this is for the landscape / nature type photos I like to take.
+1

The cost & effort of time & place was and is a big part of my enjoyment of photography and the results. I've been trying to expand my way of seeing, which is a fancy way of saying I shoot the same stuff the same way in the same type of places and I want to do more. For example, I know sometimes ordinary spots look good between first light and a half hour after sunrise. Cost is free, effort is m o n u m e n t a l. I've also thought about what subjects can I find anywhere and anytime. The obvious ones are people, macro and studio, where a table top can be a studio. Those have never interested me, except in passing. BUT I can't help think that making an committed effort in one of those areas would help my skills and eye in the areas which interest me the most.

just got back from the dominican republic. we had a destination wedding there for my daughter.

only took the fuji x100s

i-qbsbSWX-X3.jpg

i-9sbntbG-X3.jpg

i-QvCcpSz-X3.jpg

i-HvXKHtm-X3.jpg

i-cxQV5RQ-X3.jpg

Beautiful pics, mathjak. Look at the color of that water!

The colors do just pop out in that series. Terrific!

We have a robin's nest under the deck again this year. When the eggs hatch I'm pondering how to best light it with flash. It's fairly dark under there even on a bright day since the only light is reflected from the ground or the house. I'll need a fast shutter speed to freeze the movement since they move so much. I have three SB-900s, three light stands, two umbrellas, three reflectors, two large and one small, and one reflector stand. I'd like to use diffused light since the direct flash is harsh.

Since the area to be lit (okay, lighted) is so small I'm thinking the umbrellas would be of limited value and hard to keep from blowing over in the slightest wind anyway. Another thought is to get some pieces of white poster board or foam board and staple that to the wood structure of the deck, then reflect the flashes off that. The ones I shot today were in ambient but at slow shutter speeds and ISO 800 and of course that won't work later.

The image with the worm I shot a few years ago but with direct flash. Set the timer on the camera to fire about every 45-60 seconds for ~45 minutes (about all the flash batteries are good for at full power) and I get a few keepers out of the series. I'd like to get better lighting this time. It has to be done that way since if I get within view of the nest the birds leave until I do but don't seem to mind the camera being there.

Suggestions on lighting?

Attachments

• Robin_nest-1.jpg
    Robin_nest-1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Robin_nest-2.jpg
    Robin_nest-2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Robin_nest-3.jpg
    Robin_nest-3.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 10
  • feeding.jpg
    feeding.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 13
Wow - that first shot had me confused until I saw the mirror.

Tried an HDR - 3 shots at regular, plus 2 and minus 2 ev - processed in photomatix. Livingston County courthouse, Pontiac, Illinois on a mini route 66 tour

14173897083_1657b4fe94_k.jpg

Buying around Pennsylvania enroute to the Catskills. Don't have wifi yet to upload DSLR photos, but here's a couple iPhone shots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom