The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this thread has been kick started with some very nice shots! This was from Sunday morning with my Canon 5DMKII. The lens is a very affordable super wide14mm from Rokinon ... the same lens is also branded B&W, Bower and Samyang).

Fresh by KBColorado, on Flickr

Icicles on the front porch railing and neighbor's tree. Nikon D7000, Nikon 85mm macro, ISO 200, 1/160 sec, f/10 to f14. They're small, at most an inch and a half long.

Attachments

• icicles-1.jpg
    icicles-1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 13
  • icicles-2.jpg
    icicles-2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 15
  • icicles-3.jpg
    icicles-3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 22
  • icicles-4.jpg
    icicles-4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 41
Serendipity

This afternoon I was in the backyard experimenting with camera settings while taking pictures of birds in flight to see what got best results. Most of the birds I photographed were American Crows, Turkey Vultures, and Red-Shouldered Hawks. However, when I downloaded the pictures onto my computer to see the results, I was surprised to discover that one of 'vultures' I had photographed was this...

Attachments

• DSC_7821_01.JPG
    DSC_7821_01.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Florida Winter Sunset

Photo I took of a recent sunset. In post-processing, I tweaked the contrast and brightness to emphasize the rays.

Attachments

• DSC_7495.jpg
    DSC_7495.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 17
Another photo of a Great Egret. This one has a broken right wing. It is an old injury. The egret can still fly if it needs to.

Attachments

• DSC_7530.jpg
    DSC_7530.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 18
Kids playing Ice football. One great catch and another not so greatImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391892754.644905.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391892769.003401.jpg

Snowy Owls are usually a resident of the arctic but this year has seen a historic migration to the lower 48. I found this one on Chincoteague Island here in Virginia. They are one of the largest owls in the world and typically feed on lemmings in the arctic tundra and it is thought that when there is a significant drop in the lemming population they will head south in search of food. As you can see this one obviously has been a successful hunter. Check out the size of those feet!

Beautiful photo, Skyward. Enjoyed the other photos on your web site also.

Ronstar, I expect a photo of the stash when you find it (with the GPS location embedded in the EXIF metadata :cool:).

Southern Geek - I'll resume my search on the next trip. I'll embed some secret tags along with coordinates when I post the photo of my findings.

Here's a bird's nest with what looks like a snowbird in it

Attachments

• 02122014 birdsnest.jpg
    02122014 birdsnest.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 15
Reaching back into the archives for a favorite from about 4 years ago. We have a well known area where the bighorns can be seen from the side of the road on a fairly regular basis. One day I climbed some pretty steep terrain to follow them as they slowly moved away up the hill.

A fun photo from 2002...Smiley Rock on Route 177 due west of Lowville on the Tug Hill Plateau in upstate NY.
This area is very harsh in the wintertime, bitter cold and high winds. The area is mostly hay fields with farmhouses every half mile or so. It's too cold to raise cows or grow corn at that altitude. You have to be made of pretty stern stuff to live here.

Those conditions and hardworking life makes this "art" even more special. Someone felt creative one day. :)

Attachments

• smileyrock.jpg
    smileyrock.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Shutter speed artifacts

It's neat sometimes to notice things in a photo that one normally doesn't get to see because our eyes don't process things the same way a camera does. Everyone's seen photos of a bullet popping a balloon for example, or the smoothly flowing water of a waterfall with a long shutter speed.

Here's an example from yesterday: I'd never been aware that the snow thrower moves the snow out of the chute in pulses. Of course it does, the impeller that "throws" the snow has four blades on a shaft. I'd just never given it a thought until I saw this photo taken at 1/640 sec. Any others have unexpected things like that show up in your photos?

Attachments

• artifacts-1.jpg
    artifacts-1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 12
  • artifacts-2.jpg
    artifacts-2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 13
Shutter speed artifacts

It's neat sometimes to notice things in a photo that one normally doesn't get to see because our eyes don't process things the same way a camera does. Everyone's seen photos of a bullet popping a balloon for example, or the smoothly flowing water of a waterfall with a long shutter speed.

Here's an example from yesterday: I'd never been aware that the snow thrower moves the snow out of the chute in pulses. Of course it does, the impeller that "throws" the snow has four blades on a shaft. I'd just never given it a thought until I saw this photo taken at 1/640 sec. Any others have unexpected things like that show up in your photos?

Ha! Interesting.

Thanks ... this was cropped from a larger image. Taken with a 300mm lens on a full frame camera, I had to fudge a bit on the back ram with a bit of sharpening.

On our mountain hike on Wednesday, we saw two vultures looking for breakfast.

Attachments

• 2014-02-12-09-13.jpg
    2014-02-12-09-13.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2014-02-12-09-16.jpg
    2014-02-12-09-16.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2014-02-12-09-56.jpg
    2014-02-12-09-56.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 11
We spent time in the conservatory at the Denver Botanic gardens yesterday - good way to shake the winter blues.

Attachments

• Orchids-8.jpg
    Orchids-8.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Orchids-1-2.jpg
    Orchids-1-2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Orchids-3-2.jpg
    Orchids-3-2.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.