Status
Not open for further replies.
The Photographers' Corner

Messing around today...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407257502.523173.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407257525.667228.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407257556.315735.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407257585.014497.jpg

All shots taken with Nikon AW1 using 10-30 lens (27 to 81 equivalent) metered with LunaPro SBC using straight reading of ambient light ( no biasing of the reading). It was an overcast day, so I used the same basic metering of f8 @ 250 (ISO160).

Last edited:

My FT1 adaptor should come today or tomorrow, and I can use F mount Nikon lenses with the AW1. That old 70-210 zoom survived the dunking. I put it on an old 6006 - in case any electrical damage might hurt the camera I wouldn't damage a new D800- and the electronics worked, although the zoom was slow and made slight noises as if corrosion had started. The focus worked smoothly manually however. There was a light smear on one of the inside elements, but it didn't show in test photos I made. So with a 2.7 crop factor, the AW1 now has a dedicated 189 - 567 lens (35mm equivalent). Once the adaptor arrives.

I may open up that lens and clean the elements. Should probably remove drive motor as well, to prevent corrosion from spreading, and accidently damaging the camera trying to AF when the motor locks up completely.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Given that it went underwater and therefore will almost certainly be junk in the near future because of the corrosion, I'd figure there's nothing to lose by opening it up and see if I could dry it out an repair it.

Having it done at a repair site would probably cost near the price of a new lens so there's no point in that.

The lens was in excellent shape, but still only worth $70 at the most. It's dried out over the weeks. It didn't get drenched, just got moisture inside and fogged some elements for a while.

The FT1 came in and I've been playing with as the light diminished. Won't make any real comparisons or judgements until I do a lot of testing in the sunlight, but everything works mostly as I suspected. The old film 35-70 and 70-210 AFs work well in MF mode. The 35-70 looks good so far, and I've seen no problems with the 70-210. If there's no need to open it up, that's fine with me. The 10-24 DX lens tries to AF, but never succeeds. Works well in MF, giving slightly wider results than the Nikkor 1 10-30 (approximately 27.5-75 equivalent). I think it's giving the equivalent of 17-40. The new 2.8 70-210 works great on it lol.

The old 1.6 teleconverter isn't going to work on the FT1 - it's not completely round, and as you try to rotate it on the FT1, the bottom hits the 'foot' for a quick release, and the 1.6 won't rotate completely on. A bit disappointed. I wanted to see what the reach of about 850mm looked like lol. Probably none too sharp. Haven't tried the extension tubes yet. Tomorrow is going to be a full day.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed. The bevy of old lenses that will work on the AW 1, and their reach, will make it worth carrying a small bag with me constantly. Old Nikkor lenses are all over the place.

Last edited:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407352521.225429.jpg

Spent the morning taking test shots in Lebanon Ohio using the old film Fmount lenses on the AW1. Pleased with the results. Took one meter reading in the overcast sky and used it for testing: 500 @f8. ISO fixed at 160. The above shot was with the damaged lens, handheld, at an equivalency of a 564 telephoto lens. I did kick the shutter up to 1/1000 since it was handheld. I added no more sharpening than I normally do, and I let the app adjust the histogram automatically. No sign of image loss due to small internal smear on elements.

The 35-70 worked great as a shorter telephoto.

The Fmounts appear to collect more light than the Nikkor 1 lenses. Makes sense as they are larger.

The Fmounts work as a great carry kit to go with the AW1.

There's an update available for the cameras firmware I'll install today.

In short, the camera does what I wanted it for, and much more. Still can't wait for Nikon to come out with the waterproof 30-100 lens. I'll be more confident in the canoe when I have it lol.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407377956.485858.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407377974.742100.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407378003.588577.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407378033.142458.jpg

Anyone else feeling a little peckish? I have sudden urge for salsa and French fries...

It's time to put the AW1 aside and get the 'bad boy' out.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407378279.418438.jpg

Maybe a trip to the zoo tomorrow. Take the AW1 along as a teleconverter lol.

I love modern technology. I never had fast lenses before, automatic ISO, optical stabilization ... certainly makes things easier lol.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407435844.580830.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407435890.428085.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407435911.917173.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407435948.763245.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407435981.683361.jpg

Still have to bias the cameras meter down half to full stop, when there are clean whites in the frame, however.

Still have to bias the cameras meter down half to full stop, when there are clean whites in the frame, however.

Manufacturing tolerances? I almost always bias mine 1/3 stop over, very often up to 1 stop if I'm not going to blow out anything doing so. But then I tend to favor higher key photos anyway.

Manufacturing tolerances? I almost always bias mine 1/3 stop over, very often up to 1 stop if I'm not going to blow out anything doing so. But then I tend to favor higher key photos anyway.

No meter is perfect. Nor is a shutter ( although it's not like days of the spring loaded shutters lol). Lenses are different. I suspect individual sensors have slight potential variances. With the minor possible variances in all these, which can add up, there may/will be differences. One reason they still have an over/ under exposure button. One reason to still do 'film' testing with all combinations of lenses and settings. It's also a reason I still use a hand held meter for ambient lighting - so many less variables to be addressed than reflective metering with an in camera meter. Just my preference, and as you said, individual taste makes a difference. I like deep blacks to bring out contrast, with no burned out pure white in the image. And each image requires a bit of tweaking from the initial exposure, for the most part, which can be done in post production.

With the AW1, I noticed the nikon 1 lens need a bit more exposure than when I have the Fmounts on the camera. The Fmounts have wider lenses and gather more light. So when using the Fmounts, I have to bias about 1/2 stop under

Last edited:
Nice lunar shot, frayne. I assume yours isn't a fake like mine lol.

It's tough to take photos at a cruise in, because the cars are packed in together.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407454089.822881.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407454114.165983.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407454145.444130.jpg

Had an ultra wide lens on, when a 35-70 probably would have done me better. Did a lot of cropping to edit out visual garbage.

The doe had twins, but I'm having a hard time getting the 2 babies in the same picture

Attachments

• 20140807-DSC01321.jpg
    20140807-DSC01321.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Nice lunar shot, frayne. I assume yours isn't a fake like mine lol.

Thanks, but no fake, shot with my Canon 70D with a Canon 100-400mm L lens last night. Been trying to hone my lunar shots and it is much harder than I had imagined. Lots of trial and error.

Thanks, but no fake, shot with my Canon 70D with a Canon 100-400mm L lens last night. Been trying to hone my lunar shots and it is much harder than I had imagined. Lots of trial and error.

That's how we learn...

Some more messing around. Can't find the flash attachment to the light meter, the power cord to one of the flash heads, and one of the modeling lights burned out. Time to scavenge through the cases...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407526762.105023.jpg

Some more messing around. Can't find the flash attachment to the light meter, the power cord to one of the flash heads, and one of the modeling lights burned out. Time to scavenge through the cases...

View attachment 19598

A shift in the lighting makes a world of difference. Like this one better

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407539933.415300.jpg

I'm supposed to be cleaning up the base-; I mean, studio. Can't help getting distracted

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407543210.155783.jpg

Sooner or later you're going to get tired of my photos, and post some of your own...lol.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407630905.994080.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407630928.295619.jpg

I love old cars. Really like the top image - has a fine art look to it.

Been goofing around with the new camera in the basement, trying to dust off old skills; grabbing whatever's laying around to make a still life image. This ones a little bizarre, but it's late, I'm tired, and these were the items at hand...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407642257.504938.jpg

I enjoy old cars too. Usually they're packed so tight it's hard to get just one, or sometimes even just part of one, in a frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom