The Social Side of RV Camping - Rallies

Been a camper ever since age 7, so love the outdoors.

From about 1965 until now, (permanent campground camp) DW and I have been campers...
Early on, with young kids, in tents... canoeing and camping in the Adirondaks... scouts, and romantic canoe trips with DW... then later, in VW Westphalia, for ten years, almost every weekend in the summer. Then, even later, in a hightop camper..
From 1980 'til 1989, an ad hoc camping group of 8 to 10 families in the greater Chicago, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa Public and private campgrounds. Like minded, fun loving social groups... weekend trips to reserved "circle the wagons" campgrounds. Always with a theme... hiking, boating, swimming, or to areas where celebrations, shows or as in Wisconsin, the Thresheree... 800 antique tractors... We'd go for the Cananda geese flyway or for county fairs.
Fun loving people... common to wake up in the morning, and find a few of the men dressed in tuxedoes, napkin across the arm, serving coffee to sleepy eyed campers from a silver service.

Nights around the campfire.. roast pig or maybe stone soup... Ghost stories, games, skits, and always music. A mix of people, from High School Principal, to truck driver, to lawyer and nurses... no matter... Always fun, always happy, and in the 10 years of doing this, can't remember a harsh word.

Now, in our Florida community, nearly half of the people who live there have been campers at one time or another, and that spirit spilled over into the retirement life, so, in that sense, an RV mentality... There for fun, a classless society where everyone has a common goal of happiness in the retirement years.

The Friday night to Sunday afternoon camping respite was a wonderful counterbalance to the stress of the weekday challenges.

Social? Yes, but private too... not mutually exclusive.

It's interesting, how a majority of forum members - on different forums - claim to be introverts. Perhaps forums are about as close to social interaction as they want to come. If the conversation isn't interesting, we can walk away and no one really a knows.

Right guys?

.....Guys?
Ssshhhhh - we're reading!

I started reading this thread this morning and immediately understood why I feel so comfortable posting here. I'm about as introverted as they come. I searched the site for "introvert" and uncovered your poll showing over 90% introverts inhabit these pages! it's good to be home :)

There is a type of introverts who makes a lot of posts, yours truly being one as well as many frequent posters here.

But I am in total awe of the ultimate introverts who lurk for years, literally years, before making a single post, then go back into the shadow for some more years. :bow:

Back
Top Bottom