The week time stood still

cj

Full time employment: Posting here.
This is my last week, I'm done on Thursday. HOW CAN IT ONLY BE TUESDAY? Jeez Louise, this week is going slowly!

On the other hand, my coworkers are starting to goof on me. Today I came in & there was a gift on my desk, poorly wrapped. The card said, "Don't worry, the money we saved on wrapping paper was put into our 401K's" - an obvious reference to the fact that I am always hounding them to save. The gift inside is a classy looking picture, but of a short, chewed pencil. It says, "RETIREMENT: Because you have given so much of yourself to the company that you don't have anything left we can use."

The rest of the week should be full of interesting surprises. I definitely will miss the crazy people I work with!!

CJ

How cool--that is a Despair.com quote, and a great choice!  We have one at work called "Get to Work: you aren't being paid to believe in the power of your dreams".  They are called demotivational posters!  My favorite is "Potential: not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up" and has a picture of some french fries on it. 
Congratulations--you are an inspiration to those of us still saving for the day!
Sarah 

Sounds like you're going to have a fun week, enjoy it while you're counting down the days/hours/minutes :)

Thanks for the reminder about where it came from (despair.com) .  We had found that site years ago and laughed for days.  

I have 386 hours of sick time and 46 hours of work time left. I have never been so sick in my life. I have had more sick days in the last month than in the previous 15 years. Still will give back sick time as they don't payout for it.

cj said:
This is my last week, I'm done on Thursday.

That is awsome CJ! :D. Here you are finishing off and I haven't even started yet. I already envy you.

Rustic23 said:
I have 386 hours of sick time and 46 hours of work time left. I have never been so sick in my life. I have had more sick days in the last month than in the previous 15 years. Still will give back sick time as they don't payout for it.

Sick of work eh? 46 hours until recovery ;) Congrats!

You're going to LIKE it when if finally ends. I'm coming up on my 4 week anniversary Wed. My trick was to schedule a Wed out (telling most of my coworkers it would be Thurs} to keep that last week short and sweet.

Keep coasting, and take this last chance to inspire others to "figure it out" and find their own paths.

I find I'm adapting rapidly, I already don't spend more than an instant wondering what it's like back there at the office. I'm not sure what day it is when I wake up, I only know now because of the clock in the corner of my Windows Desktop.

Enjoy! :LOL: ::) :D

Today's surprise

When I got to my office this morning, the door was closed and there was a note on the door: "Contents of this museum have been preserved for the enjoyment of future generations."  And I open the door, and everything has been wrapped in plastic wrap.  My chair, coffee mug, my monitor, mouse, mouse pad, stapler, tissue box, phone, calendar, the used Coke cup from yesterday's lunch, the shoes under my desk, you get the picture.  At least I know what I'll be doing today.   :-\

My coworkers are insane.  I will miss them!

CJ

If the normal ER schedule (mantra) is followed, that's all you'll miss, is your co-workers. ER is good. Life is good. ;) Enjoy.

Greetings, CNGRATULATIONS and BEST WISHES to CJ on the big day tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear more about it. Keep your postings coming......

Sounds like some funny co-workers.

It's true that when waiting for something like ER, time moves so slowly. On Aug 1 I'll be done providing tech support for the purchaser of my business, and I count that as my ER date. Instead of enjoying my semi-retired state (average of 2-3 short tech support calls per day), I'm counting every minute. Ridiculous!

Eagle43 said:
If the normal ER schedule (mantra)  is followed, that's all you'll miss, is your co-workers.  ER is good. Life is good.  ;) Enjoy.
Yes, I think all of that is exactly what will happen.  And I'm sure I'll stay in touch with several people from work, though I know those things tend to lessen over time.  One of my favorite people here lives a mile from me.  I'm sure I will see her.  In fact, one of the things that people will miss the most is that I'm the office "baker".  My coworker-neighbor has volunteered to stop by my house to pick up the chocolate chip cookies on her way to work.

TromboneAl said:
You'll still have us. We insane too.

Yes!  You all are really fun!  (I mean that!)  But the best thing about having all of you is that if I ever get to the place where I wonder, what was I thinking when I ER'd:confused: --- you will all remind me why.   :)

CJ

P.S. One of our software vendors sent party food for the occasion just a bit ago - fruit, cheese & pastries from Whole Foods.  The week-long party continues!

Hey congratulations CJ! You made it! I hope retirement is everything that you are hoping it would be.

Rustic23-I know what you mean about the sick time. I don't think I had used any since maternity leave for my 17 yr old daughter. The timekeeper had to add it to my timecard. Everyone else has had it on their online timecard for years. I am using sick leave for all of my doctor and dentist appts now and was even sick 1 day last week.

I am counting down to 6/2/06!

Dreamer

Whew!  Yes, I made it.  It was a pretty emotional day yesterday.  I really had a great bunch of coworkers.  Twenty-two of us went out to lunch, then there was a party.  Lots of pictures, lots of food, a few tears, but lots of laughs.  I will miss them, but hey!  I'm pretty much always available for lunch now.   :LOL:

For the past 2 years, I really had only been working 4 days a week (which was nice).  As I'm going out the door yesterday (Thursday) someone said, wow, Fridays just won't be the same without you.  No, wait - yes they will.

So now what do I do?   :confused:  Kidding!!!  DH took the day off to spend with me and we are going out for breakfast.

Thanks for the support in here!
CJ - ER

Congratulations for making it to the end CJ, enjoy your new found freedom and do what ever you want to do today.

The "Welcome to the Clubs" remind me of the Gary Larson cartoon: There are a bunch of dogs sitting on side of a busy freeway, and there's one new dog that's obviously just run across the freeway. One of the other dogs says "Awright, Rusty's in the club!"

Congrats CJ. Retiring takes some getting used to after years of the same old grind.......or at least it has for me. I'm starting to adjust rather well though now. 8)

...#......

Back
Top Bottom