Things to do before I die...

REWahoo,
If you can get a base pass (easy if you know a Cape employee ) try to get just S and E of the pad near one of the lagoons.

About 10-20 seconds after main engine ignition, all the turtles and alligators will scurry into the water but the fish will start jumping up out of the water. Quite a sight.

Also, the shock waves from the solid rocket motors will buffet you and nearly leave you breathless.

Hmmmm

I like - doing nothing in particular - which can get pretty busy at times.

In a sense - I'm ready to die - so that way I can go thru every day thinking I'll live forever - sort of like the guy in the movie -:confused:?Zorba The Greek or was it:confused:- Never On Sunday.

BTY - did catch a single engine test at NSTL(Mississippi) in my working days - but never tryed to attend a launch. Did Disney and took a Cape tour in our RV days.

Shopping lists are bad enough - as an ex engineer - after 11 yrs I continue to try to 'unlist' life and go with the flow.

I love reading everyone's list - great ideas!

I actually write down my goals every year and then hopefully cross them off--but there are recurring ones. Frankly, I've already done so much of what I orginally wanted--a lot of that was done when I lived in Europe. Now I'm going to have to expand my sandbox a bit, but I always see some cool things to do/travel to as I go through my day. A partial list:

1) Go to and see Hong Kong, China Wall, underground terra cotta men in China
2) Thailand - Ching Mai (sp?)
3) Australia/New Zealand - snow ski, hike and snorkel as much as I can there
4) South Amaerica - Chile - meet my godfather and go to Patagonia to ski/hike/etc
5) Machu Picchu - hike it
6) Greece - Turkey (again) - just do it
7) Hike the Narrows in Zion Park
8) Take the train out of Tucson to the silver canyons in Mexico
9) Visit/hike to a few of those great Canadion lodges
10) Hawaii - just do it

11) Progress in the craft of knitting
12) Maintain my facilitator/anyone can talk to me role in my family
13) Keep reading a wide variety of books (heard on a show about time management how one could pick a subject a year and delve into it deeply that year - interesting idea - pick US presidents, or Civil War or psychology - interesting way to be an interesting companion)
14) Be a wonderful wife for my husband and have a wonderful shared life together

15) Maintain savings plan, consumption plan and road to ER

Bridget

I want to play jazz piano well enough that the ideas in my head come out effortlessly in my improvising, and I have about one gig per week.

unclemick2 said:
Hmmmm

Uncle Mick: Told the DW i'm trying to simplify my life down to 'toothpaste, toilet paper, and pants.' It's just an ideal to work towards. Hoping she'll do the same. It's nice to have someone around with the same goals as you. :D

--Greg

Whattaya need pants for:confused:

- Tour US, Europe
- Take Canadian Railway across Rockies
- Watch a space launch (Shuttle or other)
- Cruise Mediterranean
- Boink a lot.... 8)

You might also try to see an unmanned launch. These more often go off when scheduled as there are fewer constraints on unmanned ELV's. While not as impressive as a shuttle launch, a night time ELV launch is still pretty spectacular.

I went to the launch of a Delta ELV carrying a satellite for a project I worked on. The launch window opened around 3 am . It was a clear night and we were at the VIP viewing area which is closer to the launch site than the public viewing areas. When the sound reached us it was literally earth-shaking. Of course, that launch was made more exciting since we had devoted several years of our lives to the design, construction and testing of the satellite. Talk about a lump in the throat!

Grumpy

Grumpy. I'll second that. Nothing like watching a launch that you have a personal stake in.
You take all that effort to get it funded and built plus the plans you have to use it and then
you strap it to what amounts to a big bomb with tail fins - terrifying and exciting at the same time.

I my case it was one of those once in a lifetime experiences. I brought the DW and the kids to
Florida. They gave us NASA VIP passes so we got a good look around. We spent the days
before launch at Disney World, Epcot Center and the nature preserve around the Cape.
The afternoon Delta launch was spectacular - it was decreed to be almost as good as
the Mission Space ride at Epcot. High praise from a 6 year old.

Zorba

unclemick2 said:
Hmmmm

In a sense - I'm ready to die - so that way I can go thru every day thinking I'll live forever - sort of like the guy in the movie -:confused:?Zorba The Greek or was it:confused:- Never On Sunday.

BTY - did catch a single engine test at NSTL(Mississippi) in my working days - but never tryed to attend a launch. Did Disney and took a Cape tour in our RV days.

Shopping lists are bad enough - as an ex engineer - after 11 yrs I continue to try to 'unlist' life and go with the flow.
I feel this way too. I've never been much interested in making lists. Seeing these kinds of lists on the retirement boards have made me try a couple of times to make my own, but I never know what to put on it. I'm always looking for the next adventure, but I'm not that particular about what it is.

I've done a lot of the things others put on their lists while I was still working . . . hiked the Inca trail to Machu Pichu, visited the pyramids, the Forum in Rome, Athens . . . I've been to Paris and London, drove from the Atacama dessert to the Archipalego in Chile, spent time on Easter Island (by the way, this has to be one of my favorite adventures but it doesn't show up on the lists of many others). I've visited 49 of the 50 states (some day I'll get to Hawaii probably) and cruised up the coast of British Columbia to Alaska. Maybe the fact that I did these things while I was still working has something to do with my inability to make up a list today. :) :) :)

((^+^)) SG said:
I feel this way too.  I've never been much interested in making lists.  Seeing these kinds of lists on the retirement boards have made me try a couple of times to make my own, but I never know what to put on it.  I'm always looking for the next adventure, but I'm not that particular about what it is. 

I've done a lot of the things others put on their lists while I was still working . . .

Ah, the spontaneous type.  Nothing wrong with that either.  Sounds like you had lots of fun while you were working, and that's a good thing.

I like the idea of listing out on paper "Things to do before I die" for almost the same reason I keep a listing of all my liquid assets.  Call me a control freek, but by having a list, I feel like I can better see what I have or where I'm going.  A list also helps me remember why I want to go somewhere.  For example, if someone tells me of a specific place or restaurant I should consider or a contact person when I go somewhere, I make a note of it on my list along with the person who told me, so I can thank them later.  I went to some great restaurants and saw some great places off the beaten path in Italy using this method and was able to bypass some major headaches by not making the same mistakes someone else made.

By the way, I'm going to look into Easter Island as another potential item to add to my things wish list.

While visiting Mnt Whitney, may I suggest Death Valley in the spring. It's one of the most beautiful and otherworldly places I've ever seen, but totally unbearable in summer or winter. Also extremely worthwhile in California are the Muir Woods and Yosemite.

I have 2 main goals. Get enough independence and speed to play quality be-bop on my drums. And most important, have sexual intercourse as often as I possibly can.

haha

HaHa said:
I have 2 main goals. Get enough independence and speed to play quality be-bop on my drums. And most important, have sexual intercourse as often as I possibly can.

haha
You might want to refine and qualify that last goal . . . or are you content to increase frequency even if it has to be with barnyard animals? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

((^+^)) SG said:
You might want to refine and qualify that last goal . . . or are you content to increase frequency even if it has to be with barnyard animals?   :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Good suggestion. I guess for a moment I forgot who I was talking to here.

haha

If you really want to do something do it now, don't wait. I've done and went everywhere I wanted to just incase I crap out!

Maybe I got to make a new list?

spike said:
If you really want to do something do it now, don't wait. I've done and went everywhere I wanted to just incase I crap out!

I want to try some or all of the male enhancement drugs before I crap out....

REWahoo! said:
So Dan, need something to stiffen your resolve what are you waiting for?

REW
That's what I need...someone to goad me....It's not like I need it REW...I just want to go to the next level man..... :D

DanTien said:
...It's not like I need it REW...I just want to go to the next level man..... :D

Psssst...try a stepladder. It's a heck of a lot cheaper. Plus, if you are on the ladder for four hours or longer you don't have to consult a physician! :)

REW

REWahoo! said:
Psssst...try a stepladder. It's a heck of a lot cheaper. Plus, if you are on the ladder for four hours or longer you don't have to consult a physician! :)

REW
I want to find out what 4 hours is like...so does my loved one...and my doctor....having a plate of snacks handy would be handy...

Back
Top Bottom