Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Things to do before I die...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
An Alaskan cruise is a good thing to do. My wife and I are leaving for our 2nd Alaska cruise in 3 weeks!
So we can anticipate more of your fantastic scenery photos? REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cut-Throat,

You and Mrs. Cut-Throat are my new heroes! You guys are traveling constantly, which is the main thing that I am hoping to do in my retirement. So many places to go and so little time. Anyway, just wanted both of you to know that I think you rock! Hopefully, you will be able to get some more pictures to post. I really love seeing them.

Dreamer

Old 08-21-2005, 08:38 PM   #23
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
-* Attend a Shuttle launch
Aargh!

We tried to watch a launch 4-5 times. Got the boat to just off Cape Canaveral, as close as they would allow, and waited. Every (&*%) time, the launch was delayed again and again, and finally delayed indefinitely, so we left. So we never saw/heard/felt one up close.

But we saw 3-4 from a distance, where we could see it but not hear it. Still pretty awesome.

Here are shots from the ill-fated Challenger going up, taken from about 75 miles south. According to the timestamp from the camera (which may have been an hour off, or maybe not), these were taken at 6:20am, on 3/1/02.* First is the launch itself, at pre-dawn. Second is the separation of the boosters. Hopefully I have reduced them so as not to clobber those on dialup, but not so much that they are too small to see.* Slightly out of focus, as they were taken from a slightly shifting boat...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg launch.jpg (5.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg separation.jpg (4.6 KB, 110 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb launch.jpg_thumb (19.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb separation.jpg_thumb (16.0 KB, 0 views)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
Aargh!

We tried to watch a launch 4-5 times. Got the boat to just off Cape Canaveral, as close as they would allow, and waited. Every (&*%) time, the launch was delayed again and again, and finally delayed indefinitely, so we left. So we never saw/heard/felt one up close.
Know a guy who had the same experience, but he & his spouse were staying in a hotel. Waited for days and still no launch. Left without seeing anything. We plan on taking the TT and waiting 'em out...within reason.

REW

Old 08-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Yep, I may have to modify this to "...Shuttle or it's successor."* . . .
You don't want to be too slow to do that. With all these MEMS and Widebandgap breakthroughs the government is funding, how far can we be from, "Beam me up Scotty."? No more launches at all.

I never traveled to Florida to see a launch, but once when I was flying in from Phoenix there was a launch of a military mission. I happened to be on the right side of the plane and had gotten stuck with a window seat so I got a decent view.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #26

REWahoo,
If you can get a base pass (easy if you know a Cape employee ) try to get just S and E of the pad near one of the lagoons.

About 10-20 seconds after main engine ignition, all the turtles and alligators will scurry into the water but the fish will start jumping up out of the water. Quite a sight.

Also, the shock waves from the solid rocket motors will buffet you and nearly leave you breathless.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:39 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

I like - doing nothing in particular - which can get pretty busy at times.

In a sense - I'm ready to die - so that way I can go thru every day thinking I'll live forever - sort of like the guy in the movie -?Zorba The Greek or was it- Never On Sunday.

BTY - did catch a single engine test at NSTL(Mississippi) in my working days - but never tryed to attend a launch. Did Disney and took a Cape tour in our RV days.

Shopping lists are bad enough - as an ex engineer - after 11 yrs I continue to try to 'unlist' life and go with the flow.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #28

I love reading everyone's list - great ideas!

I actually write down my goals every year and then hopefully cross them off--but there are recurring ones. Frankly, I've already done so much of what I orginally wanted--a lot of that was done when I lived in Europe. Now I'm going to have to expand my sandbox a bit, but I always see some cool things to do/travel to as I go through my day. A partial list:

1) Go to and see Hong Kong, China Wall, underground terra cotta men in China
2) Thailand - Ching Mai (sp?)
3) Australia/New Zealand - snow ski, hike and snorkel as much as I can there
4) South Amaerica - Chile - meet my godfather and go to Patagonia to ski/hike/etc
5) Machu Picchu - hike it
6) Greece - Turkey (again) - just do it
7) Hike the Narrows in Zion Park
8) Take the train out of Tucson to the silver canyons in Mexico
9) Visit/hike to a few of those great Canadion lodges
10) Hawaii - just do it

11) Progress in the craft of knitting
12) Maintain my facilitator/anyone can talk to me role in my family
13) Keep reading a wide variety of books (heard on a show about time management how one could pick a subject a year and delve into it deeply that year - interesting idea - pick US presidents, or Civil War or psychology - interesting way to be an interesting companion)
14) Be a wonderful wife for my husband and have a wonderful shared life together

15) Maintain savings plan, consumption plan and road to ER

Bridget
Old 08-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #29

I want to play jazz piano well enough that the ideas in my head come out effortlessly in my improvising, and I have about one gig per week.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Hmmmm

Uncle Mick: Told the DW i'm trying to simplify my life down to 'toothpaste, toilet paper, and pants.' It's just an ideal to work towards. Hoping she'll do the same. It's nice to have someone around with the same goals as you.

--Greg
Old 08-22-2005, 10:01 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Whattaya need pants for

- Tour US, Europe
- Take Canadian Railway across Rockies
- Watch a space launch (Shuttle or other)
- Cruise Mediterranean
- Boink a lot.... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:09 AM   #32

You might also try to see an unmanned launch. These more often go off when scheduled as there are fewer constraints on unmanned ELV's. While not as impressive as a shuttle launch, a night time ELV launch is still pretty spectacular.

I went to the launch of a Delta ELV carrying a satellite for a project I worked on. The launch window opened around 3 am . It was a clear night and we were at the VIP viewing area which is closer to the launch site than the public viewing areas. When the sound reached us it was literally earth-shaking. Of course, that launch was made more exciting since we had devoted several years of our lives to the design, construction and testing of the satellite. Talk about a lump in the throat!

Grumpy
Old 08-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Grumpy. I'll second that. Nothing like watching a launch that you have a personal stake in.
You take all that effort to get it funded and built plus the plans you have to use it and then
you strap it to what amounts to a big bomb with tail fins - terrifying and exciting at the same time.

I my case it was one of those once in a lifetime experiences. I brought the DW and the kids to
Florida. They gave us NASA VIP passes so we got a good look around. We spent the days
before launch at Disney World, Epcot Center and the nature preserve around the Cape.
The afternoon Delta launch was spectacular - it was decreed to be almost as good as
the Mission Space ride at Epcot. High praise from a 6 year old.

Zorba
Old 08-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Hmmmm

In a sense - I'm ready to die - so that way I can go thru every day thinking I'll live forever - sort of like the guy in the movie -?Zorba The Greek or was it- Never On Sunday.

BTY - did catch a single engine test at NSTL(Mississippi) in my working days - but never tryed to attend a launch. Did Disney and took a Cape tour in our RV days.

Shopping lists are bad enough - as an ex engineer - after 11 yrs I continue to try to 'unlist' life and go with the flow.
I feel this way too. I've never been much interested in making lists. Seeing these kinds of lists on the retirement boards have made me try a couple of times to make my own, but I never know what to put on it. I'm always looking for the next adventure, but I'm not that particular about what it is.

I've done a lot of the things others put on their lists while I was still working . . . hiked the Inca trail to Machu Pichu, visited the pyramids, the Forum in Rome, Athens . . . I've been to Paris and London, drove from the Atacama dessert to the Archipalego in Chile, spent time on Easter Island (by the way, this has to be one of my favorite adventures but it doesn't show up on the lists of many others). I've visited 49 of the 50 states (some day I'll get to Hawaii probably) and cruised up the coast of British Columbia to Alaska. Maybe the fact that I did these things while I was still working has something to do with my inability to make up a list today.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I feel this way too.* I've never been much interested in making lists.* Seeing these kinds of lists on the retirement boards have made me try a couple of times to make my own, but I never know what to put on it.* I'm always looking for the next adventure, but I'm not that particular about what it is.*

I've done a lot of the things others put on their lists while I was still working . . .
Ah, the spontaneous type.* Nothing wrong with that either.* Sounds like you had lots of fun while you were working, and that's a good thing.

I like the idea of listing out on paper "Things to do before I die" for almost the same reason I keep a listing of all my liquid assets.* Call me a control freek, but by having a list, I feel like I can better see what I have or where I'm going.* A list also helps me remember why I want to go somewhere.* For example, if someone tells me of a specific place or restaurant I should consider or a contact person when I go somewhere, I make a note of it on my list along with the person who told me, so I can thank them later.* I went to some great restaurants and saw some great places off the beaten path in Italy using this method and was able to bypass some major headaches by not making the same mistakes someone else made.

By the way, I'm going to look into Easter Island as another potential item to add to my things wish list.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
By the way, I'm going to look into Easter Island as another potential item to add to my things wish list.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I don't think it's for sale...

REW

Old 08-22-2005, 03:29 PM   #37

Quote:
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I don't think it's for sale...
Everything is for sale.* You just have to be able to make a good offer, or at least an offer that someone can't refuse.

http://www.jgeoff.com/godfather/gf1/offer.wav
Old 08-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

While visiting Mnt Whitney, may I suggest Death Valley in the spring. It's one of the most beautiful and otherworldly places I've ever seen, but totally unbearable in summer or winter. Also extremely worthwhile in California are the Muir Woods and Yosemite.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:47 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I have 2 main goals. Get enough independence and speed to play quality be-bop on my drums. And most important, have sexual intercourse as often as I possibly can.

haha
Old 08-23-2005, 12:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I have 2 main goals. Get enough independence and speed to play quality be-bop on my drums. And most important, have sexual intercourse as often as I possibly can.

haha
You might want to refine and qualify that last goal . . . or are you content to increase frequency even if it has to be with barnyard animals?