Tiny houses

I think that those who find them appealing, should seriously look into buying one of those 2 BR, 1 bath, 800 sf 1950's homes. Those homes are plentiful all over the country at bargain prices, because there isn't much demand for them.
+1 That's a great idea. I can picture the TV show already!

800-900 sq ft, though small by many people's standards, is within the range of feasibility for a lot more folk than just the tiny house crowd. Sadly though, even those types of homes are expensive here in the SF Bay Area but then, all houses are pricey here (unless you've owned them for many years).

Last edited:
I believe 700-900 sq.ft. is comfortable living for a single person. For a couple, perhaps 1200-1500 sq.ft. We have more, but then it's paid for and there's no reason to downsize.

A tiny home may be OK as a place to sleep, like a cruise ship cabin. For normal living, one needs room to spread out, to have hobbies. We are homebodies, and would go crazy if we have no room for "stuff" to keep ourselves entertained. If one is content with just surfin' the Web all day on a tiny smart phone or going out all the time, then yes, he would not need much space.

+1 That's a great idea. I can picture the TV show already!

800-900 sq ft, though small by many people's standards, is within the range of feasibility for a lot more folk than just the tiny house crowd. Sadly though, even those types of homes are expensive here in the SF Bay Area but then, all houses are pricey here (unless you've owned them for many years).
The SF Bay Area seems to be an anomaly, or at least it appears so to those of us living far away. Last night I was looking at houses in SF on realtor dot com, not that I want to move there, but just to see what they cost. I have fond memories of living in Berkeley and SF back in the 1960's, so I have an interest in the area. I was floored to see the prices, which were even higher than the last time I looked.

But, if you look at someplace like Springfield, Missouri, you can get a 2/1 800 sf house like that for an amazingly low price that would allow plenty left over for renovations and dolling it up. :D

My parents built a house 25 years ago (2000 sq. ft) and are now downsizing to reduce the maintenance and yard work (300' lot). I've been searching for houses for them...they are looking for 800 - 900 sq. ft.

If someone wants to drastically lower their cost of living, a fifth wheel RV would be a much more reasonable way than a tiny house. You get twice the room at half the cost--and they're much more comfortable.

I've yet to find a tiny home park--or a place that would even allow them to be in any city. Regular homeowners wouldn't want'em around lowering property prices.

+1

Seems to me that an RV that is already designed for compact living is more practical....

Personally I think they are ridiculous for a primary residence. One would have to be VERY hard up to consider this.

I agree an RV is a way more viable option.

I like watching the shows, and for the most part it does seem to be a LBYM thing. I have also thought though that you would get a better deal with a trailer or mobile home.

DW and I think we can easily do 8-900 sq ft... once we get the kid(s?) out of the house. Perhaps we're being too narrow-minded, but I can't see raising 2 kids in our current 1400sq-ft 2/2, but I also don't want to go much over 2000 3/3 ever. Can't see the need. I'd like someplace for grandparents to stay and at least one BR big enough for two girls or separate BR for a girl and a boy.

Once they're gone and we're entering our 60s, then I can see really downsizing to 8-900. Tiny house size is bananas small to me.

I can’t even imagine our life in a “tiny house”. First of all --- MAJOR climb to the bedroom --- NOT good planning.

When we retired, we moved much closer to our daughters and their families. We now all live in the same town. We went from 2500 Sq. ft to 3400 sq.ft. There is rarely a day that I don’t appreciate this decision. The little kids (and often their friends) have their own playroom, game room and lots of space for all the adults on the weekends.

It would not have been nearly as pleasant for all, were we crammed into a smaller space. My husband has a work room and is also happy.

To each his own. This is not a way of economizing that “works for us”. Yes, eventually we will have to bite the bullet and maybe downsize or assisted living. In the meantime we have room for visiting family, enjoying our kids, and the freedom to move around in the winter.

I prefer if people keep buying/building large homes...then when they can no longer pay the bills and the bank takes the home...other people can buy at a discount, lulz.

Tiny house wouldnt be for me...I would rather have a pull behind camper/5th wheel thing or whatever you call them.

Personally I think they are ridiculous for a primary residence. One would have to be VERY hard up to consider this.

I agree an RV is a way more viable option.

Maybe for YOU. For other folks? Who cares? It's their choice to make. As my DW likes to say, "If you aren't cooking for me, paying my bills or (fill in the blank here) me, then what does it matter to you?" :D

I don't know about a "revolution" going on...I think it's just the new thing that folks will watch on TV, hence the several shows on the same subject. Same as the "Island/Beach Hunters", "Tree Houses", and well...you get the point.

A lot of those Tiny House Hunters probably wouldn't consider RVs or traditional trailer homes.

So there is kind of a hipster cool about these things, it seems.

Not a hipster but if I had to downsize like that, I wouldn't consider RV or traditional trailers.

I don't need mobility, in fact I'd rather be hooked up to utilities and infrastructure.

Traditional trailer parks are usually in inconvenient locations, like the edges of towns rather than near stores and other places you'd have to frequent. Plus the neighbors ...

A disadvantage of a travel trailer or a 5th wheel is that they are meant to be light for travel, therefore are built more flimsy than some tiny houses. The walls are often fiberglass on 1" foam panel, and that's all you have for insulation.

On the other hand, tiny homes are often expensive for the square footage they provide. Perhaps a lot of the cost is in the labor to build each unique home, because I cannot see the material cost being that much compared to the quoted price.

How about the old park models? I have once stayed in a timeshare unit that's a park model. It was quite comfortable, and felt more solid than an RV. The kitchen and bathroom counters, fixtures, appliances are all residential quality. The bed was a normal queen size. It makes for much more comfortable living than a typical tiny home.

I think many tiny homes are built as quasi travel trailers. This may be intentional for traveling, or to escape some city ordinance or building codes. Park models are also treated as RV. They are mass produced and so perhaps have the economy of scale. They lack the "custom" or uniqueness of tiny homes, but they surely offer more square footage for the money. They are not that mobile, and moving one is not an easy thing.

Last edited:
I think the tiny house shows are interesting. I wouldn't buy one, but I appreciate what the peeps on those shows are hoping to accomplish (less money on a mortgage, more for living/saving). I watch because there are lots of great ideas on how to make better use of space and multi-purpose spaces/furniture. Just one example, I can't see any reason to own a desk and a dining room table, as we don't use either often. A small dining room table and a file cabinet would serve both purposes for me, and we'll probably be completely "paperless" one of these days.

I'd like to downsize into something around 1300 sqft, and if we incorporate some of the tiny house efficiency ideas, I'd think a 1300 sqft house could "live well." Unfortunately DW is not amused, but I'll keep working on her. I do have her down to considering 1800 sqft, guess I need to get her to watch more tiny house shows. :cool:

Last edited:
I like watching these shows - especially when I see a clever design. But I'm really surprised that more "standard" solutions aren't used frequently - like murphy beds, etc...

We built our version of a tiny house - a 700sf 1br house aka granny flat. It's currently bringing in rental income, but we tentatively plan to move into it when the kids are launched... It was designed to give us each our own space, has amenities like full size appliances, high ceilings, and a walk in closet.... plus a fabulous view from the covered front porch. We both agree - that's about as small as the 2 of us would like to go.

I like watching these shows - especially when I see a clever design. But I'm really surprised that more "standard" solutions aren't used frequently - like murphy beds, etc...

I've wondered about that, too. a Murphy bed is perfect for a tiny house, yet everyone seems to prefer a loft with 3 feet of headroom.

Some space saving ideas like drawers/storage built into stairs and seating that doubles as storage have been around for decades, yet the people always seem surprised and go on about how clever and innovative those ideas are.

Some of the homes I saw had bedrooms with doors.

Parents with kids were saying it would be nice to have a room with doors.

Yeah I couldn't see sleeping in a loft permanently. Some of the men couldn't even sit up on the bed fully without having to bend their head down.

I'm surprised at you guys who are supposed to be LBYMers!!

Not sure which show it was but in the opening introduction of one show a young girl is saying (paraphrasing): "...We don't want to be bogged down with a big mortgage. We want to spend our money on travel and not having to kill ourselves at a job we hate..."

Or something like that.

Granted, it's not for me and I agree with getting an RV instead (again, not for me) but I do believe there's a shift going on with the young'uns of --maybe never being FIRE but also not really having/needing a 9 to 5 job for 30 years before hitting the 'live' button.

I think there's a whole group of folks who want to work when they feel like it and do whatever the rest of the time (see Uber). Getting saddled with a big house is a big obstacle to that.

That is what a tent is for, when you can't find a handy bridge. :nonono:

It cracks me up with the couple or single person climbs into the (empty) loft and exclaims - Ooooh I can sit up.... But they are sitting in the center (peak) and there is no mattress.... The mattress adds many inches and takes away that headroom.

I think the tiny house shows are interesting. I wouldn't buy one, but I appreciate what the peeps on those shows are hoping to accomplish (less money on a mortgage, more for living/saving). I watch because there are lots of great ideas on how to make better use of space and multi-purpose spaces/furniture. Just one example, I can't see any reason to own a desk and a dining room table, as we don't use either often. A small dining room table and a file cabinet would serve both purposes for me, and we'll probably be completely "paperless" one of these days.

I'd like to downsize into something around 1300 sqft, and if we incorporate some of the tiny house efficiency ideas, I'd think a 1300 sqft house could "live well." Unfortunately DW is not amused, but I'll keep working on her. I do have her down to considering 1800 sqft, guess I need to get her to watch more tiny house shows. :cool:

<ha ha ha> I'm thinking we might move UP to a 1300 sq ft ranch for our next place. :D

I wouldn't live in one permanently, but it would be great for a hunting retreat, or summer vacation house. I know in some areas, building code does not apply if it is built on a trailer with wheels, so you can D.I.Y. it yourself without the cost of inspections and hiring licensed professionals. This may also get you around some zoning issues since it is not a permanent structure.

RV sales are scratching their heads. They paid what for what!

I saw one where they where showing a friend the loft bed (crawling around with inches above their backs) and there was some extra space at the foot of the bed and she said "hey here's some office space".

I have never had the urge to live in a walk in closet.

Back
Top Bottom