Today marks 2 years

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This won't be a long reflective post. But I did want to take note of the fact that 2 years ago today was my first day of NOT going to work.

Since then I've:

- started the habit of walking the dog on the beach in the morning after getting the boys off to school.

- taken 3 college semesters of Italian. (Still not fluent - but better than I was.)

- planned and enjoyed a "trip of a lifetime" with my family - 9 weeks of travel in Europe by train. We saw a lot - and most importantly, didn't kill each other. (Travelling with teens for extended periods can have issues - but when we started getting on each others nerves, we'd adapt and spend more beach time.)

- had the bandwidth to deal with various injuries and medical issues with my kids last year... I was VERY glad to not be employed so I was free to schelp them to get x-rays, cast changes, etc.

- rediscovered the library!!!

I am *very* happy I decided to retire at age 52.

It's always nice to hear the updates.

Any regrets or changes you would make using hindsight after 2 years?

Congratulations, rodi!!! Sounds like a wonderful start to retirement. :D :dance:

...9 weeks of travel in Europe by train. We saw a lot - and most importantly, didn't kill each other. (Travelling with teens for extended periods can have issues ...)

- had the bandwidth to deal with various injuries and medical issues with my kids last year...

Congratulations. You showed remarkable restraint in stopping at serious injury rather than killing them. :D

Congrats, Rodi. That time passed very quickly!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

OMG! Very inspiring. Would love to hear any tips or learnings

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

LOL - I hear you on travelling Europe with teenagers. But the family memories are priceless and so worth it. DS ( the PITA on these tips) was remarking just this weekend when we got together for Father's Day how much he enjoyed those trips and hopes to do the same with his family.

Congrats. I'm a fellow (ex)enginerd.

Now in my 6th week of ER. Have discovered (rather than rediscovered) the library. The best thing (at least for me) is the ability to download books to the Kindle. Merely search on-line and request. No going to the library; no need to return. Started my quest to read the top 100 "modern" classic novels.

Congrats! The Library has also become my friend. I've been trying to motivate myself to take a language course at the CC but don't want to schedule my time.

June 14th was my two years anniversary. I did the courses at an OLLI program where I relearned French which I studied for 8 years in high school and college and now I have regained my fluency.

Had a two month trip to Europe and Lebanon where we visited DW's family.

I walk the 3 miles round trip to the library daily.

But most importantly my health is the best it has been away from the stresses of the job and the daily commute.

Congratulations, rodi!
May 1 was my two year anniversary. Sounds like you've had a great Couple of years as well.
I feel like a kid before kindergarten - every day I get up, eat breakfast, run out the door to play in my gardens, and don't come back until called in for meals.
Once again, congrats!

Nice update Rodi. My two year anniversary is approaching (8/1). I've been having a ball and am amazed at how busy I have been. I too have been an active user of the library. Also feel the best I've felt in probably 15 years. DH just joined me, so we are adjusting to spending more time together. So far so good 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations, rodi. 5 months in myself, and also enjoying what seems to be a common theme here, library re-discovery. But, with no agenda anymore (such as retirement planning as "been there done that now reaping the modest reward thereof") even reading is so much more relaxed, as i have the time to thoroughly enjoy one book at a time, and really get into the topic if i so choose, with net searches on aspects of interest. I just usually browse the new book aisle and pick whatever strikes my fancy.

Good for you. I'm coming up on 2 myself.

How sweet it is - :)

Congrats and thanks for the reminder. It has been 3 years for me on this day. I have spent much of my three years on my house-building project. Also enjoying the mountains of Colorado!

Congratulations. I'm really envious of your trip of a lifetime. No kids for us, but on a similar note firing has allowed me to reconnect with my brother and family as we live in different countries and never had enough travel time before.

Cngrats!!! I do love these threads (as opposed to the seemingly endless threads on Brexit!).

I am QUICKLY approaching my 2 year point...I am very surprised at how freaking quick time is flying by. The thought of having to wait until "normal retirement age" gives me the chills! You know what? I don't think I have been bored ONCE in my retirement...quite the opposite!

Congrats on a great 1st Year. The travel abroad with the family sounds wonderful. I love to travel and generally it is always rushed due to time limits due to w##k.

Back
Top Bottom