Treat Retirement Like a Career Change

Sorry folks. Looks like you need an account to view this article. Can't understand. I viewed it without an account early on. Again, sorry.

I'm not having any trouble viewing it.

I agree with the author that you need purpose in life.

I have a retired friend who had a very complete and successful career. He is happy by every criterion I can see. As an exception to the good points made in the article above, he says that "purpose" is overrated, and that the key to a happy retirement for him is getting over the "myth" that you have to define yourself somehow in retirement using life-structures similar to what you have used all you life.

He feels happy because he doesn't have a purpose. He didn't have to jump from one treadmill (work) to another (proving to himself and others that his retirement is "active" or "fullfilling"). He's quite busy but only as the urge hits him. He's also very content just puttering, reading, exercising, whatever.

I have no idea where I'll fall on that scale, but he had a career similar to mine.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I have a retired friend who had a very complete and successful career. He is happy by every criterion I can see. As an exception to the good points made in the article above, he says that "purpose" is overrated, and that the key to a happy retirement for him is getting over the "myth" that you have to define yourself somehow in retirement using life-structures similar to what you have used all you life.

He feels happy because he doesn't have a purpose. He didn't have to jump from one treadmill (work) to another (proving to himself and others that his retirement is "active" or "fullfilling"). He's quite busy but only as the urge hits him. He's also very content just puttering, reading, exercising, whatever.

I have no idea where I'll fall on that scale, but he had a career similar to mine.

I agree with your friend here. I also think people confuse 'a Purpose' with 'structure' - having to be at a certain place at a certain time. - I think you need a 'purpose' everyday but not necessarily any structure. I define purpose on a weekly basis and it changes like the wind.

I dislike structure as it limits creativity. - When you are retired you have to create your own purpose.

I would add that those that get their self-esteem from the opinions of others will have more trouble FIREing than people who are self-actualized. In fact as I think about it, maybe that is the key ingredient in FIREing successfully?

I concur with the need to have some value to others no matter what stage life one is in. We obtain from life what we give in kind (ness).

I knew this article would evoke some great responses. I just got back from a bike ride along Sarasota Bay and realized that my purpose, if that's what it is, is to be grateful for everything I have and to show it by being kind to others. I can't begin to tell you how great it is to smile at a perfect stranger, say "Happy Thanksgiving" and have them smile back and say, "Same to you.....friend".

Say Rich_in_Tampa, I hope we meet someday. You have a lot of good things to say.

I'll chime in as being solidly in agreement here. I can see where some people need the structure and routine, but CT nailed it - purpose and structure are different. Some days my purpose is to just enjoy life as it comes, while other days I have something that I need to do that brings structure in the form of a deadline or schedule.

In the working world you need structure because people don't always share the same purpose at work. There, structure gives people a purpose, just not the one they would have necessarily chosen.

But when I'm on my time and pursuing the things I think are important, structure comes when and if it's needed. And since it's mostly all my time now, structure is whatever I think is needed today.

Even more irritating than the "what do you do all day" question, is the comment "You're too young to do nothing" that I hear just as often. I may borrow someone else's line and start telling them I'm the manager of a closely held investment firm.

Rich_in_Tampa said:

Rich, I would appreciate it if in the future you would check with me first before using me as an example on the forum. ;)

Rich_in_Tampa said:
As an exception to the good points made in the article above, he says that "purpose" is overrated, and that the key to a happy retirement for him is getting over the "myth" that you have to define yourself somehow in retirement using life-structures similar to what you have used all you life.
My goodness, someone else who finally retired without their ego. Judging from the media (promulgated by working stiffs on deadline) that must be very unusual.

kcowan said:
I would add that those that get their self-esteem from the opinions of others will have more trouble FIREing than people who are self-actualized. In fact as I think about it, maybe that is the key ingredient in FIREing successfully?
The logo of Norwegian Cruise Lines' "Freestyle" cruises shows a white fish in the middle of a school of blue fish-- but it's swimming in the opposite direction.

It's an apt ER metaphor.

REWahoo! said:
Rich, I would appreciate it if in the future you would check with me first before using me as an example on the forum. ;)

:)

Congratulations if you fit the bill. And from what I can glean, you probably do.

Leonidas said:
I'll chime in as being solidly in agreement here. I can see where some people need the structure and routine, but CT nailed it - purpose and structure are different. Some days my purpose is to just enjoy life as it comes, while other days I have something that I need to do that brings structure in the form of a deadline or schedule.

In the working world you need structure because people don't always share the same purpose at work. There, structure gives people a purpose, just not the one they would have necessarily chosen.

But when I'm on my time and pursuing the things I think are important, structure comes when and if it's needed. And since it's mostly all my time now, structure is whatever I think is needed today.

Even more irritating than the "what do you do all day" question, is the comment "You're too young to do nothing" that I hear just as often. I may borrow someone else's line and start telling them I'm the manager of a closely held investment firm.
Me too :D

Quick and dirty test of structure vs. purpose: are you still wearing a wrist watch?

Last May I had to dress up a bit for a funeral. I found my several watches - all the batteries were dead.

I replaced the batteries in one watch, and occasionally wear it when I run errands.

heyyou said:
Quick and dirty test of structure vs. purpose: are you still wearing a wrist watch?
Yep, so I can tell what Day it is.

Uh oh. I am still working but do NOT have a wristwatch. Someone's trying to tell me something, maybe...

I haven't worn a watch for a couple of years now, even though I'm not RE just yet. If I need to know what time it is, I look at my cell phone.

martyb said:
If I need to know what time it is, I look at my cell phone.
I see that as another test of structure vs purpose...

Back
Top Bottom