Turned in my keys...

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
...and handed in my computer while the rest of the faculty at the college prepared for Monday classes to start the new term. It feels strange after all these years to leave all my books, toss out decades of lecture notes and projects, and walk out the door with a few decorations and a tea pot. During the past couple of decades I served on the review committee for selecting each of the professors that are now in the department. I will miss working with my friends as well as the new crop of students that are anxious to start on a new career path. At least I left with the same student evaluations of appreciation that I received when I first started and didn't short change anybody. I have been fortunate to have made my living the way that pleased me the most. As difficult as it is I know it's time I moved on and gave someone else a chance.

There are plenty of new projects to begin, opportunities for travel, and volunteer work to keep me busy. I just need to learn how to shift gears for the rest of the time I am allowed.

Any suggestions for a mental adjustment as I transition to a new life style will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Let me be the first to congrat you !!!

If your old enough to leave the job you love behind, perhaps you also went through the kids leaving? I would think similar in that you need to hold close those things that won't change, family, friends not at work, and use them as support as new challenges appear.

Badger, best wishes on your retirement. The attitude you express under leaving says a lot about how you view life and your future. I say you will do well. Just cut those strings and enjoy life.

Any suggestions for a mental adjustment as I transition to a new life style will be appreciated.
Manage initial expectations. It can take a little time for the flywheel in your head to slow down. But it does.

Congratulations! I hope you really enjoy your retirement.

...Any suggestions for a mental adjustment as I transition to a new life style will be appreciated.

Cheers!
Drink beer to coincide with any global time zone.
Grow a garden or just grapes.
Watch the sun rise and set.
Screen your phone calls.

Congratulations :dance:

I have been fortunate to have made my living the way that pleased me the most.

Well done Badger! That is a great achievement. Congratulations.

Turn off your alarm clock, too!

Congratulations! Probably the first fall since you were maybe five years old? that you haven't been starting school?

Congrats, Badger!!!
Sounds like you were one of the lucky few who retire at the "top of their game". The way that academic institutions are changing I know too many who are clawing at the doors to get out ASAP. Or praying they can avoid layoff & last 2-3yrs to qualify for a pension.
Sounds like you have plenty of opportunities. Look at it this way- you just got promoted to Dept Chair of your own calendar. Enjoy this next phase of your life!!!!

Liking Freebird's advice. :)

Been retired three months and have struggled with slowing it down. Most days i give myself lectures about that. Have only in the last couple weeks been able to enjoy an hour at Panera drinking tea. DH loves that ritual, and i am beginning to enjoy a couple times a week. I think it is very important to SLOOOOOWWWWW down, and it is just now starting to happen. My bp is slowly going down, which is a great sign.

I putter around the house, started back with hospice volunteering, make it to the gym at least 6 days a week, spend more time with my parents and am reading more. Since i was an elem librarian reading tons of children's lit, it is nice to read adult stuff, including classics i never read (or had forgotten).

Retirement is a very good thing, but it can involve some re-programming.

Hearty congratulations are in order. The first order of business is: relax, it's time to smell the roses.

Congratulations. I am taking notes so pass on any thoughts.

Thank you all and please keep the suggestions coming. The collective experience and knowledge of everyone in the forum would certainly help anyone during their initial adjustment to retirement. My area of expertise required guiding student development in critical thinking skills and problem solving methods in addition to a teaching large volumes of information. These are now "monkeys in my head" that I need to redirect toward a more productive use of my time in new conditions. Learning how to slow down, "smell the roses", and focus a little more on me for a change is going to be a challenge.

Cheers!

Congratulations. It sounds like you retired on your terms from a career you liked. My guess is you will do just fine finding your way in this new environment.

Badger said:
Thank you all and please keep the suggestions coming. The collective experience and knowledge of everyone in the forum would certainly help anyone during their initial adjustment to retirement. My area of expertise required guiding student development in critical thinking skills and problem solving methods in addition to a teaching large volumes of information. These are now "monkeys in my head" that I need to redirect toward a more productive use of my time in new conditions. Learning how to slow down, "smell the roses", and focus a little more on me for a change is going to be a challenge.

Cheers!

Badger, you clearly have the skills to do very well in the school of ER and the Class of 2012!

As others have said you have the perfect skills to go into retirement. I was at a community leadership meeting yesterday where they were looking for mentors to help underpriviliged, good but financially disadvantaged high school kids by giving some time each week. They told stories about kids that didn't know how to get and then complete a college application. Boy, you have the background to help. My community also has a soup kitchen, some that come are families, good people, that lost jobs and homes and don't know how to recover; they really could use your thinking skills.

Look around your town, your church, your community charities and find something that will fill your day and send you home with "warm fuzzys" for the help you've done. Actually, as a professor, you may have experienced those feelings already......you have to decide what you want to "go to" but I sure wish I had your creative thinking experience .........you have a lot to offer, if that's what you would like to do. In the mean time, do as others have said, sleep in, relax, catch up on what you haven't had time to do......by then, I'll bet you'll know what you want to do in the future.

If you ever have doubts, watch "Office Space" Office Space Milton stapler original - YouTube

Enjoy, kick back and soak in the reality that you're on a new path now. If you're like I was, it will take a while to adjust and you'll have doubts. Give yourself time. It just gets better and better.

Back
Top Bottom