Turning 62: Besides SS decision, what else did you do?

Tree-dweller

Recycles dryer sheets
Turning 62 (all too) soon, and I have this feeling like there are other things triggered by that milestone besides deciding on taking Social Security early or not. Is that the only Big One? What other perks might there be, like getting my $10 senior pass for the national parks? Thanks, I'm new to 62!

I didn't claim SS until I was 66. I waited so that I could claim half of my ex's SS and still allow my own to continue to grow until age 70, when I will switch over to it. Had I tried this earlier than age 66, my own SS would not have continued to grow.

I don't recall any milestones at age 62 at all. Sorry! All I recall is some surprise at the level of age related aches and pains. :D

Just practice saying, "Do you have a senior discount?" and you'll find out.

I don't recall any milestones at age 62 at all. Sorry! All I recall is some surprise at the level of age related aches and pains. :D

Lordy, do I relate to the "aches and pains" aspect! I suddenly find myself googling "bursitis" a lot.

Just practice saying, "Do you have a senior discount?" and you'll find out.
What's bad is when they go ahead and give you the senior's discount--and you didn't ask for it.
waiting till 62 is too late. many places give discounts at age 55. And I never look a gift horse in the mouth. I've taken a un-solicited senior discount at 53.

Back
Top Bottom