Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
telecaster:
regarding long cruises. I had a similar experience on a long cruise, and I haven't yet retired. I figure a week of buffets, inch-of-gold sales, art-auctions, and the Big Bingo spectacular(s) is all I can take.
Yup - my husband and I thought of doing an around-the-world cruise, but when we go on a cruise and have a 'at-sea-only' day, we yearn for the port call - while at sea, it's like you are trapped on a marketing and sales nightmare gone insane :-)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Yup - my husband and I thought of doing an around-the-world cruise, but when we go on a cruise and have a 'at-sea-only' day, we yearn for the port call - while at sea, it's like you are trapped on a marketing and sales nightmare gone insane :-)
And yet you meet people on cruises, who have done (and plan to do more of) these really long cruises and thrive on them. I do enjoy a good cruise to a warm spot but the longer ones are, for me, just too long.

I keep joking with the wife, that maybe we should sell the house and the cars and move onto a cruise ship. The annual full-time cost of cruising isn't that bad especially when you look at the income that could be derived from the home equity and the other foregone housing/car/food/utility expenses.

Everyone is different. Find what works for you.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I totally understand. I FIREd in the spring of 2007.
In 2009, I went on a Grand Mediterranean cruise during the H1N1 situation. I had a great time, but it was a little strange wondering if my dream vacation was going to end up badly (contract H1N1, be quarantined in port, not allowed to return to US, etc.).
Last year I went to FL three times, to places I had been on w*rk travel and couldn't really explore, or just didn't get to enjoy when I was there in 1979 w*rking my tail off to be able to afford my college room and board.
This year, I will be doing local trips within the Northeast US.
Next year? Who knows? Mr B wants to go to Portugal, his father's birthplace. No arm twist needed for me.
If we can budget and save up for it in a year, we will go.

Take it as the mood suits you.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

You are too young for me anyway.

:>D

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, believe it or not, I was lampooning myself.

Ha
Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I retired and moved to WV one of the attractions of the house was it has a large unfinished basement area that would be the "workshop of my dreams". But guess what? I put together most of the shop, built one airplane (that has never flown) and then pretty much lost interest....Why did this happen? I think that the need for the escape that R/C provided is no longer there.
This is very interesting, and actually a little humorous, especially the part about the "dream basement." In addition to my current lack of desire for travel, I also live in what I thought for years was a "boring" town. When working, I dreamed of the day I would leave here. Now, I'm not so sure I need too, or even want to! Lest anyone mistake this for some kind of depressive episode, I should point out that I have so many projects going in photography, art, music, reading, whatnot...there are not enough hours in the day. I just think it so odd that a lifetime pattern of travel could change overnight. But enough people have commented to indicate that their new lack of need for "escape" is a big factor.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Nope, there's nothing wrong with you. For many years my "escape" was radio control model airplanes.

.... I put together most of the shop, built one airplane (that has never flown) and then pretty much lost interest. ....

Why did this happen? I think that the need for the escape that R/C provided is no longer there..
I can definitely relate to this. I haven't embraced some things that I planned on when I retired - you just don't need the 'stress busting' or 'escape' anymore, and that was part of the attraction. I still can't find the time to do all the things I want, but it does seem like interests have shifted.

-ERD50
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't care for travel at all. But, we are going on a cruise in December. Our three sons were so excited that their mother was going on a trip that they decided to join us! Even my DIL was surprised. So it will be a nice family vacation, especially since we don't see DS2 and DIL much because they live in CA.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
I don't care for travel at all. But, we are going on a cruise in December. Our three sons were so excited that their mother was going on a trip that they decided to join us! Even my DIL was surprised. So it will be a nice family vacation, especially since we don't see DS2 and DIL much because they live in CA.
A cruise is a great way for a family to get together. Everyone can do their own thing (activity-wise) and then you can get together for meals and shore trips etc.

I have seen a number of extended families getting together on cruises.

Careful with that cruise though ! You just may find that you really enjoy being pampered and want to go often.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
A cruise is a great way for a family to get together. Everyone can do their own thing (activity-wise) and then you can get together for meals and shore trips etc.

I have seen a number of extended families getting together on cruises.

Careful with that cruise though ! You just may find that you really enjoy being pampered and want to go often.

I have never been on one... but my wife, most of my sisters and mom are on one right now...

This is the first for my wife, so I will see how she likes them..

For one of my sisters, this is her 9th... I know another has been on from 5 to 7... once crossing the Atlantic... funny, I don't think any have been on an Alaskan cruise except mom....
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster View Post
In November, we were on a long cruise (East Coast to West Coast via Panama Canal), and about halfway thru it, I found myself wishing to be at home!!! Not that the cruise was not enjoyable, I just felt I did not NEED to escape any more...like I had been running away all those working years...and it was no longer necessary!! What was I running from now? Long naps, playing guitar or cruising the internet all night, no commutes, automobile tires and tanks of gas that last forever, shopping at 1AM, and acting like a teenager? It was a confusing feeling! I'm still confused!
At home, you are the one in control and everything is pretty much the way you want it to be. I admit, I enjoy being at home too. I like the peace and quiet, and my pretty things and how I have chosen to arrange them. They say your home is your castle, and in a sense that is quite true. At home you can indulge in "Long naps, playing guitar or cruising the internet all night, no commutes, automobile tires and tanks of gas that last forever, shopping at 1AM, and acting like a teenager", or whatever appeals to you at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
yes, there is "peer" pressure even in retirement.
As we grow older and our future becomes shorter each year, I think peer pressure becomes less and less relevant. This is especially true concerning how I choose to spend my time in retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote