Update on Our NUE VUE! (Saturn) - Photo

Did you guy's hear about the Nissan call back on 100,000 altimas that have engine problems? Some go on fire and the dealers can't even sell the ones they have in stock till the engines are replaced. It's on 4 cylinder cars.

73ss454 said:
Did you guy's hear about the Nissan call back on 100,000 altimas that have engine problems?  Some go on fire and the dealers can't even sell the ones they have in stock till the engines are replaced.  It's on 4 cylinder cars.

I hadn't heard about that. It's really nice to know that they stand behind their product so well. Good news. Thanks!

Non sequitur said:
I hadn't heard about that.  It's really nice to know that they stand behind their product so well.  Good news.  Thanks!

Funny thing is that when an American car has a call back people say it must be junk. But when a Jap. car has a problem it's preceived as a company standing behind the product.

73ss454 said:
Funny thing is that when an American car has a call back people say it must be junk.  But when a Jap. car has a problem it's preceived as a company standing behind the product.

When we were looking at motorhomes, we tried hard to get one that was very reliable because we don't live near any manufacturers and there is only one relatively small dealer in my town. I would read glowing reports about motorhomes that had to go back to the factory or dealer numerous times, but hey, they always gave service with a smile.

We bought a MH with a great reputation for reliability and durability. In two years, nothing has gone wrong.

73ss454 said:
Funny thing is that when an American car has a call back people say it must be junk.  But when a Jap. car has a problem it's preceived as a company standing behind the product.

I find that odd, too.

Good to hear the Vue is working for you, SWR.

Probably because a lot of american car recalls are only implemented after a significant number of people have died or been injured.

Seems to me either the japanese car manufacturers have much better PR/marketing handling their problems or the american manufacturers are doing a cost/benefit analysis of paying liability claims vs a recall.

The exploding pinto's, other fords with problem gas tanks that caught fire in an accident (which they fixed in police cars, but not regular models...hmmm), the ford firestone recall, the ford speed control fire problem.

Guess I must have owned a lot of fords, or fords the one with the biggest problems ;)

Seems to me in all of these cases, it was pointed out that the problem was known and well understood quite a while before the recall was done and it wasnt until there was excessive negative media coverage that ford took action.

My expedition took three recalls in the 6.5 years I owned it. One of them involved the cruise control switch under the hood catching fire, sometimes an hour or more after you parked the car. Ford replaced those in the vehicles that had a history of actually catching fire. They havent replaced the identical switches that exist in a wide variety of other models because they have a "lower incidence" of catching fire.

Swell.

I've owned four japanese cars in the last 15 years. No recalls.

Anecdotal and small sample size, but between the bad press and my personal experiences...

bow-tie said:
Good to hear the Vue is working for you, SWR.

Honestly, It really has surpassed my expectation. And I am not a cheap ar buyer of old as most of you may know. I have owned the Lexus', Ferraris. Lotus', Audis etc. during my copious consumption years. and, if gas prices ever stabilize I will have at least one more fast exotic before I'm done. But for a Daily driver, the VUE takes the award without breaking the bank. In fact, I am even thinking of getting another in 2007 as it will be the last of the composite models. They are going to an all steel construction in 2008.

SWR

ShokWaveRider said:
In fact, I am even thinking of getting another in 2007 as it will be the last of the composite models. They are going to an all steel construction in 2008.

SWR

Sadly, the Saturn VUE of the future will be based on an Opal design.  Just like the Saturn Ion is.  We need Dr. Phil to step in and ask GM: "How's that workin' for ya?"

problem i have with consumers reports is the vehicles are tested out of catagory...they will pit a nissan xterra a true off road designed hard core 4x4 with a rav 4 and go the xterra has a harsh ride...forget about the fact that the xterra is a truck and the rav 4 a car and are designed primarly with different purposes in mind..whether ultimately someone buys an xterra for the highway should be irrelevant in their testing..the xterra should be compared to the jeep liberty,the wrangler,the four runner,,its a different catagory....how about testing the cars in mud and 4 ft of snow and going they got stuck...

my new bmw x3 is supposed to be in saturday,i hope......
only 2 more sleeps............

mathjak107 said:
my new bmw x3 is supposed to be in saturday,i hope......

Not that anyone is trying to but the X3 cannot be compared with the VUE, and how much is that X3 by the way? 3x or 4x the VUE maybe? I will take one for the $16,900 I paid for my VUE. While it is a lovely SUV, that cannot be argued with, as is the Lexus, Porsche etc. My criterior (sp) were a cheap runabout with good mileage. The VUE has surpassed my expectations for a SUV in it's catagory. I was expecting a piece of crap quite honestly, that is why I am so impressed. I drove a used Kia, Hyundae, Escape to see what they were like after a year or so and did not like them. Yet a 2 year old VUE was not all that bad.

Different strokes for different applications. Now saying that. If I was not fired I would probably go for the BMW, Lexus or the Merc.... But that was when I had $10k or so a month of disposable income. No more will I see them numbers.

SWR

the only reason we got the x3 is its my last vehicle before fire......the last down....after this one its back to civics and altimas

Martha said:
When we were looking at motorhomes, we tried hard to get one that was very reliable because we don't live near any manufacturers and there is only one relatively small dealer in my town. I would read glowing reports about motorhomes that had to go back to the factory or dealer numerous times, but hey, they always gave service with a smile.

We bought a MH with a great reputation for reliability and durability. In two years, nothing has gone wrong.

May I ask what brand and style of RV you purchased :confused:
Kitty

Back
Top Bottom