Update - Three months in (or out?)

Bryan Barnfellow

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I retired on April 1, so I am three and a half months into my new life (or, out of my old one). Recently, a friend mentioned something that someone told him about retirement. I loved it so much that I decided to make it my new signature line!

- BB

That is cute! I retired from my career job 6/2/06 and quit my part-time job 5/15/15. I got up this morning thinking this is the life. I love not having a schedule! I love having my 6 months vacation, twice a year. I will have to remember this saying.

I've been free 9 years - it just gets better! I recently have scaled back my volunteering stuff also. It was getting to be to much, I don't like to have much if anything on the calendar! I am going to 1-2 times per month, it was getting to be 4-5 times per month.
Congrats and enjoy!
:dance:

Donzo, I replaced my empl*yer-supplied, meeting/travel-filled electronic calendar with a simple paper-based, spiral notebook one, that is very tiny and portable. On Sunday evenings I look at it for the coming week and marvel at the vast blank spaces, punctuated only by fun things with my wife and friends. I am glad to hear that it gets better...it's almost too much to expect!

-BB

Nine months of emancipation here. Never thought I would love Mondays!

Donzo, I replaced my empl*yer-supplied, meeting/travel-filled electronic calendar with a simple paper-based, spiral notebook one, that is very tiny and portable. On Sunday evenings I look at it for the coming week and marvel at the vast blank spaces, punctuated only by fun things with my wife and friends. I am glad to hear that it gets better...it's almost too much to expect!

-BB

I keep my retirement calendar on an Excel worksheet that I check every morning. Actually it isn't laid out like a calendar at all - - it's just a list. The only reason it is in Excel, is that my net worth, portfolio, etc are recorded and calculated there so it's convenient to me. Usually my "calendar" has no more than 1-3 events or obligations to remember. I love my serene and uneventful retirement life. :D

Congratulations on your successful retirement! Also, I absolutely LOVE your sig line. :D

Last edited:

-BB

I use the free calendar my propane delivery company gave me. I used to have a leather bound Day Planner that I carried everywhere - it is in a drawer in my desk now.....resting. RIP planner :)

Great new signature line. Just passed 2 years on my EV (Extended Vacation) and it's been very refreshing indeed.

We still keep a calendar running on iCal. I like the fact that it keeps a history of our past.

ER'd End of March too @ 45

My observations - It's still a little scary to not have a paycheck - I still do the spreadsheet bonanza a couple times per week ....old habits die hard

Moved to different location/city/country so every day has been full of to do stuff as we try to resettle. Unpacking boxes. Signing up and getting house sorted...

I can't ever remember what day it is now. Woke up yesterday and my wife said happy Monday and I grinned and said every day feels like Saturday

I enjoy cooking and now enjoy Grocery shopping on Tuesdays around 10am - no traffic and it is awesome. Just a lot of really Older gray haired people, mommies with babies, store staff stocking the shelves...and me.

The "what do you do" question gets answered with "anything I want, I am now retired" and I love the confused looks and I could care less what others think !!!

Reconnecting, I mean really reconnecting with my dear wife has been nice . She is a couple years older than me but also not working /FIREd ...though she may go do some PT work for mental challenge/fun money.

And finally - how on earth did I have time to do anything else while working. The days fly by. I have a decade worth of projects.

Mostly ... I am grateful and reflectively thankful ...to be in this position. I don't take any FIRE moment for granted. It's as if I have been re-born as strange as that seems. I'm human again.

Congrats !

Last edited:
Nice saying I like it.

I'm a bit more than 3 months into ER. I am also far from bored. The pay check thing hasn't hit yet since I am still burning off the severance package I managed to fall into (decided to FIRE then the company decided to merge and I was able to get out of the combined company with a package). Now I ride my bike about 100 miles a week, I've put gas in my car twice in 3 months and I'm still working on my to do list.

However my wife is less happy that I am home even though I have allowed her the ability to stay up late and sleep in (favs in her book because I take the dog for a walk in the morning). But I think I have intruded on her world (she stopped working about 10 years ago) and the fact that I am now "underfoot" erks her sometimes.

We'll work it out :cool:

or not :nonono:

Congratulations Bryan. I'll take a "two 6 mo vacation" to go. I retired on same date, but, in 2014 - I've just passed the 1 year & 3 mo mark.

For a year, I lived and traveled in Europe and Asia, then shifted back to the US this year. Reno'd my US condo that I had bought a while back. That and unpacking kept me busy for the last 3 months. Trying to build a healthy lifestyle (don't want to say "build a routine" :) and do some interesting stuff (classes, interest groups, etc), but, generally avoiding any activity that requires a defined commitment of time or an organizational role.

At times I feel a bit aimless, but, that goes with the territory I s'pose. I keep reassuring myself that living an aimless life is the aim. Financial obsession/worrying is still there - I suppose it will never go away and one has to learn to live with it by limiting the effort and time one puts into such matters.

What some here (and elsewhere) had said about retirement is true - it takes a couple of years to accustom oneself to retired life. Perhaps it takes time to come to accept the retired life rather than growing accustomed to it. In some ways, I'm fine with the act of living retired (the day-to-day aspect of it), but, still wondering if I shouldn't define what retired life is. For instance, a set of objectives, tasks to be completed, progress measured, etc. Still addicted to certain w*rk habits, as you can see. <lol>

All that said, I'm more curious about what the next thing is going to be than anxious about whether I'll end up somewhere particular.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom