Upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine

Rob

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all,
I'm busy preparing for my return to the States after June 1st. It's important that I be within a couple hours drive to Montreal. Knowing that, I was looking at upstate New York around Plattsburgh, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. I've been out of the States since the 70's, and so this will certainly be different.

Every state is different with regard to taxes on retirement income, property taxes, sales taxes, and taxes on annuity interest and dividends. What started as a simple "I see a beautiful state like Vermont and I want to live there" has now become a confusing mess as I look at and analyze the different tax structures in each of these three states and how it will affect my semi-retirement.

I'm single, have my own health insurance for $3,000/year, and have a nice retirement income between $50,000 to $63,000 depending on how much I want to start off with. Based on your own personal experiences, which state would be the least painful with regard to taxes? I'd begin by renting and eventually buying a place, probably a townhouse.

I'm really just looking at these three states, and would welcome your opinions as to which of them would be the least expensive.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Rob

Last edited:
Every state is different with regard to taxes on retirement income, property taxes, sales taxes, and taxes on annuity interest and dividends. What started as a simple "I see a beautiful state like Vermont and I want to live there" has now become a confusing mess as I look at and analyze the different tax structures in each of these three states and how it will affect my semi-retirement.

Based on your own personal experiences, which state would be the least painful with regard to taxes?

Well, I have no personal experience with any the states that you're focusing on, however, there is a website that pretty much sorts a lot of it out: "Taxes by State"

Hope that helps some. Good luck on your search!

Been out of the country since 1970?,you've got my curiosity up as to that story,not sure about taxes in those 4 states but i know NH has no taxes on alcohol so maybe they're low in other aspects also.
Why the need to be near Montreal?
A premature welcome back.

New Hampshire property taxes are very high. That's from experience.

If you wish to be a few hours (like 3) away from Montreal and live in NH, you need to get up north. North Conway is about equi-distant to Montreal and Boston.

I have no idea what your taste in living environment is, but Bethel, Maine is a nice,small community right next to Sunday River ski area. Good winter and summer activities.

Back
Top Bottom