W**K

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I know that a lot of you folks consider w**k a four letter word, but this article is worth taking a look at even if you feel this way. I really like to take on occasional temp assignments from time to time, not only to pick up some extra walking-around-money, but to accept a new challenge in a business that I know absolutely nothing about.

I always do a good bit of snooping around at a new place and ask a bunch of questions of managers in the company that I am working for and have come up with some very interesting responses as well as meeting some really interesting folks.

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-reti...-for-Retirement-Jobs?mod=retirement-lifestyle

So what kind of stuff do you do? I rather like the idea of dabbling with different work places.

Greg's uncle's young girlfriend, who is in her 70s, does ocassional work for grocery stores where she gives out little food samples. She really enjoys doing it and chatting up the customers. It gets her out of the house and gives her some "pin" money. She calls us and says things like "free ice cream cones at Super One on Friday between 1:00 and 3:00." :)

I know that a lot of you folks consider w**k a four letter word, but this article is worth taking a look at even if you feel this way. I really like to take on occasional temp assignments from time to time, not only to pick up some extra walking-around-money, but to accept a new challenge in a business that I know absolutely nothing about.

Great! Then you can work your tail off, and pay into social security to help fund the rest of us boomers' retirements. Thanks! Much appreciated. :D

To be serious for a moment, the extra walking-around-money is already figured into my ER plans, and I have no problems finding challenges outside of work. Once I retire, I would rather eat gravel and sleep on a railroad track than go back to work. ;)

Once I retire, I would rather eat gravel and sleep on a railroad track than go back to work. ;)

Eating gravel, maybe. But sleeping on railroad tracks? I *might* choose w*rk over that choice:eek:. (I live in a town where the UP/Amtrak mainline goes thru town at the edge of the downtown core. The statistics are not very good!)

I'm not retired, I work part-time. But at my part-time job I met a woman who hires people as ushers at a summer concert venue. I worked as an usher this past summer and most of the other ushers were retired, many of them retired teachers. The pay was not much but it was a great place to work. This venue has rock, pop and country music concerts but their mainstay is that they are the summer home for a major city orchestra. The orchestra plays Saturdays and Sundays. I worked mostly for the orchestra concerts and just a few of the rock shows.

At the end of the season the woman who hired us asked if we'd be interested in signing up as ushers for a local state college for their football and basketball games. Many of the ushers had been doing both concerts and college sports for years, so I thought I'd give it a try.

This kind of work is very occasional, low stress and fun. If ushers are needed and you can't make it it's not a problem, there are plenty of people on the list and only 1/3 or 1/2 of the crew works at any time.

It's been a great opportunity to meet people outside of my normal realm. It's something different and adds a little bit of money without a lot of time commitment. It's the kind of work that people continue to do because they enjoy it, not because they have to.

W2R--Thanks for the description. Sounds like we both worked for the same outfit.

Back
Top Bottom