Join Early Retirement Today

Walked out the door -- not looking back!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Walked out the door -- not looking back!

Transferred all my files, said my goodbyes to clients and colleagues. Took my last box of books and personal files down to the car. Big smile on my face all day. Still, it was bittersweet - I worked with great colleagues.

I'm sitting here sipping a cold one with my partner. I remarked to him that I must be slipping into retirement mode: it's pouring rain and more forecast for Saturday. Doesn't bother me though, because sun and warm temps. return on Monday.

Rob
robcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats, Rob! Yes, that "last day" is certainly bittersweet...but you'll love your first Monday.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the club.
What is Monday?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Dex, Monday is that day when all your grumpy neighbors go out to their cars at ungodly hours of the morning, after 2 days of not doing that

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcanuck View Post
....it's pouring rain and more forecast for Saturday. Doesn't bother me though, because sun and warm temps. return on Monday.

Rob
Congrats, Rob!

I love hanging out in the rain, and there is that bonus of being able to wait out the downpours because you don't have to get to w*rk on time.

Keep us posted, I'm out nine months and found that two loose ends had to be tied up. When I completed the first one, I was happier that the day I retired.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcanuck View Post
Transferred all my files, said my goodbyes to clients and colleagues. Took my last box of books and personal files down to the car. Big smile on my face all day. Still, it was bittersweet - I worked with great colleagues.

I'm sitting here sipping a cold one with my partner. I remarked to him that I must be slipping into retirement mode: it's pouring rain and more forecast for Saturday. Doesn't bother me though, because sun and warm temps. return on Monday.

Rob
Congratulations! It must be a wonderful, free feeling.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After looking forward to early retiring for several weeks -once I knew it was my turn- when ER day finally came it was sort of anticlimatic. A few days later I began to feel a bit sad, thinking that if I no longer had to work due to a certain age, I was really getting old. A feeling that is recurrent.
Of course the feeling would have been the same if for a few days I wasn´t entitled to ER for not having the requisite age. That consoles me a lot.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Of course the feeling would have been the same if for a few days I wasn´t entitled to ER for not having the requisite age. That consoles me a lot.
I w*rked with someone who missed a big downsizing opportunity because she was three months short of fifty and waited a couple of years for the next opportunity. She became an unhappy, disruptive, difficult, evil co-w*rker.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I w*rked with someone who missed a big downsizing opportunity because she was three months short of fifty and waited a couple of years for the next opportunity. She became an unhappy, disruptive, difficult, evil co-w*rker.
My working colleagues tell me that those who missed -for a few months- the downsizing are embittered. In gneral they´ve been put to pasture by the management. And worse so, because there won´t be another chance for them. ER is being shut down in Spain. The opposite is going to be the new trend.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Welcome to the club.
What is Monday?
Monday (and Tuesday thru Friday) are the days where you'll find the shops pleasantly empty; parking places remarkably easy to find; fewer lines at the bank or post office, and generally a slower pace allowing you to conduct your personal business as you wish rather than rushing around.

Saturday and Sunday: perfect days to lounge around on the deck with a cold one, letting the w*rkers of the world rush to do their errands.

PS: welcome to the best part of your life...the rest of your life. You're gonna love it!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Woo Hoo!!!!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Years ago there was a coworker who missed an early out by one day.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations! I am so happy for you.....you can do whatever you feel like doing
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #15

Congratulations, Rob! All that planning and saving have paid off!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Congrats Robcanuk!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Robcanuk!

You are going to love it! I have been retired now for two weeks and it has been sweet. No deadlines, no schedule to meet. The last week was bittersweet, but that feeling is easing now. I'm just so glad I do not have to answer to a boss who had dominion over me. The chains have been removed!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks everyone.

First day of retirement was much like any other Saturday - the usual household chores. I think it will start to feel different this evening - no more Sunday evening anxiety.

Won't be doing much of the planned yardwork this week. We had a huge rainstorm on Friday and Saturday. We live in the country - all the farmer's fields are flooded. Water has flowed onto our property - at least half an acre of the backyard and part of the perennial garden are under water. With this amount of water likely won't drain until the end of the week. Going to put the pump going once the level in the ditches gets a bit lower.

My partner is not impressed. He's throwing a "retirement" party next Saturday with 50 or so guests outside on the lawn. Might be a bit soggy. I said look at it this way - we now have a water feature in the yard. He didn't see the humour.

Rob
robcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I think it took a month or so for the 'Sunday evening anxiety' to go away.