Join Early Retirement Today

Walking attire for cold weather
Old 11-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Walking attire for cold weather

Any suggestions on brand or material for pants for walking in chilly (35-40 degree) weather? Cotton sweats just don't cut it. Will layer the tops, but need something light weight but warm for the pants.. I'll be going to Academy or Sports Authority later today.. supposed to be down to 22 overnight here in central Tx, so tomorrow morning I'll be on the treadmill...
thx in advance!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here are some suggestions from the Frozen North.

Winter Pants | Insulated Pants | Waterproof Pants | Performance Pants

Old 11-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

People who spend a lot of time outdoors will tell you that "cotton kills" and I believe it. Stay away from cotton.

I can't give recommendations, because we're all different. My legs have never felt uncomfortable from either low or high temperatures, but I know that I'm unusual in that. For me, the lightest layer of pants works fine (I use Smartwool) for most winter runs.

For extreme cold (below 10°F) i have a slightly heavier pair of pants from Early Winters that works great.

But if you're a normal person, you'll probably need something heavier. The trick is to get something warm enough but not too warm after you get going. That's a very fine line.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Fannel lined pants from LL Bean and similar places. Don't get the very heavy lining as it will be to warm, but a light flannel lining keeps you warm from the waist down, but is not to hot when you go inside.

Note, the flannel is usually cotton, so it should only be used in a dry cold. Wet cotton kills.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Men's Running Pants and Tights | Running Warehouse has running/walking tights and pants, and if you click on one you get more details such as the temperature range they are designed for. My guess is that you want pants, not tights, but you could also get a pair of tights to wear under pants for colder weather. I probably use Running Warehouse 5 or more times a year for a few years now, and the two minor issues I had were quickly resolved. If you like their facebook page you can get an additional 15% off on most sales.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Look at running apparel for winter. I run year-round, and have apparel for all weather conditions. You won't generate as much body heat walking as you would running. But nevertheless wearing running apparel will keep you comfortable.
Depending on the temps and your cold-weather tolerance, wearing multiple layers will be a big benefit - if you get too warm simply peel off a layer and tie it around your waist. Running clothes are made of synthetic materials designed to wick away sweat and thus keep you warm.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #7

My brother cycled to work year round in Denver. He swore by the high tech tights similar to the ones Running Bum linked.
I personally don't understand riding a bike in a blizzard - but he didn't seem to mind.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My guess is that you want pants, not tights,
+1,000.. if I wore tights in my neighborhood I'd be starring on YouTube a couple of hours later
Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

I do a bit of outside walking around and standing for a few hours coaching baseball games in the temps you mention. I also wear cotton sweats, so I use a pair of base weight thermal pants under them. They're pretty cheap, but the price fluctuates on Amazon a bit between $10-20, I paid $10.76 for mine last year.

Duofold Men's Base Weight First Layer Ankle Length Pant, Medieval Blue, X-Large at Amazon Men’s Clothing store: Thermal Underwear Bottoms
Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Flannel lined pants from LL Bean and similar places........... .
I wear the LL Bean synthetic lined jeans all winter. They are really warm, as the denim blocks the wind and the fleece provides insulation.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I wear jeans with light to medium weight Wickers long johns underneath when the weather is moderately cold (10F to 32F). When the weather is single digits to below zero, I wear wool pants with heavier weight Wickers long johns.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Flannel lined pants from LL Bean and similar places.
My bro mentioned these to me a few years ago. I thought they were too pricey and the whole concept a little too gilding-the-lily, but I wanted something better than those cheap Hanes long underwear they sell at Target for extended snow shoveling sessions.

Regular (actually you can use cheap) flannel pajamas. Wear them under whatever regular clothes you're putting on. Almost like futuristic Star Trek magic underwear (no offense to Mormons) in the way they cold-konk the cold weather from penetrating your pants
Old 11-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want to buy local Carhartt insulated jeans should be available at a farm/ranch or work clothing store.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #14

Might be overkill for walking but this will keep you warm at 70 mph in 25°F weather. Of course you also need insulated boots, gloves, balaclava, and full-face helmet. Don't ask how I know.

Tour Master Centurion One-Piece Suit - Motorcycle Superstore
Old 11-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

dressing in layers is the key to staying warm. on the inside you need something to wick away the moisture from your body, something wind and waterproof on the outside.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #16

Wife and I walk year round and have done so for years even in single digit temps. In 20-40 degree temps I wear cotton sweats under my golf wind/rain pants and usually a comfortable jacket with ear muffs and a stocking cap. In really cold weather, the snowmobile clothes and gloves come out.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #17

I think it is relatively easy to keep the body warm for walking. Layers and such. I struggle with a good face warmth strategy, including eyes and things that don't fog up..............
Old 11-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #18

I wear jeans for short walks/hikes in 30- 40 degrees. I do layer up on top and wear a stocking hat and smart wool socks, and gloves, but my legs very seldom get cold. At colder temps, I wear insulated Carhart coveralls. I sometimes wear winter biking or running pants (no tights here either), but jeans seem just as good to me.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

A little pricy, North Face makes winter pants for both men and women. I live in their fleece ones in the winter. Not a very athletic look but then I am not a power walker.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Today it is high 40s and dry. I wore light cotton pants, light sweater and REI down jacket, watch cap, Chaco sandals, no socks and no gloves. If it gets into the 20s I would wear normal gloves, same pants hat and jacket, but hiking boots instead of sandals.

If I were going on an expedition, or planned to sit in a duck blind, I'd want more.

Ha