Walking attire for cold weather

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any suggestions on brand or material for pants for walking in chilly (35-40 degree) weather? Cotton sweats just don't cut it. Will layer the tops, but need something light weight but warm for the pants.. I'll be going to Academy or Sports Authority later today.. supposed to be down to 22 overnight here in central Tx, so tomorrow morning I'll be on the treadmill...
thx in advance!

People who spend a lot of time outdoors will tell you that "cotton kills" and I believe it. Stay away from cotton.

I can't give recommendations, because we're all different. My legs have never felt uncomfortable from either low or high temperatures, but I know that I'm unusual in that. For me, the lightest layer of pants works fine (I use Smartwool) for most winter runs.

For extreme cold (below 10°F) i have a slightly heavier pair of pants from Early Winters that works great.

But if you're a normal person, you'll probably need something heavier. The trick is to get something warm enough but not too warm after you get going. That's a very fine line.

Fannel lined pants from LL Bean and similar places. Don't get the very heavy lining as it will be to warm, but a light flannel lining keeps you warm from the waist down, but is not to hot when you go inside.

Note, the flannel is usually cotton, so it should only be used in a dry cold. Wet cotton kills.

Last edited:
Men's Running Pants and Tights | Running Warehouse has running/walking tights and pants, and if you click on one you get more details such as the temperature range they are designed for. My guess is that you want pants, not tights, but you could also get a pair of tights to wear under pants for colder weather. I probably use Running Warehouse 5 or more times a year for a few years now, and the two minor issues I had were quickly resolved. If you like their facebook page you can get an additional 15% off on most sales.

Look at running apparel for winter. I run year-round, and have apparel for all weather conditions. You won't generate as much body heat walking as you would running. But nevertheless wearing running apparel will keep you comfortable.
Depending on the temps and your cold-weather tolerance, wearing multiple layers will be a big benefit - if you get too warm simply peel off a layer and tie it around your waist. Running clothes are made of synthetic materials designed to wick away sweat and thus keep you warm.

My brother cycled to work year round in Denver. He swore by the high tech tights similar to the ones Running Bum linked.
I personally don't understand riding a bike in a blizzard - but he didn't seem to mind.

Flannel lined pants from LL Bean and similar places........... .
I wear the LL Bean synthetic lined jeans all winter. They are really warm, as the denim blocks the wind and the fleece provides insulation.

I wear jeans with light to medium weight Wickers long johns underneath when the weather is moderately cold (10F to 32F). When the weather is single digits to below zero, I wear wool pants with heavier weight Wickers long johns.

Flannel lined pants from LL Bean and similar places.

My bro mentioned these to me a few years ago. I thought they were too pricey and the whole concept a little too gilding-the-lily, but I wanted something better than those cheap Hanes long underwear they sell at Target for extended snow shoveling sessions.

Regular (actually you can use cheap) flannel pajamas. Wear them under whatever regular clothes you're putting on. Almost like futuristic Star Trek magic underwear (no offense to Mormons) in the way they cold-konk the cold weather from penetrating your pants

Last edited:
If you want to buy local Carhartt insulated jeans should be available at a farm/ranch or work clothing store.

dressing in layers is the key to staying warm. on the inside you need something to wick away the moisture from your body, something wind and waterproof on the outside.

Wife and I walk year round and have done so for years even in single digit temps. In 20-40 degree temps I wear cotton sweats under my golf wind/rain pants and usually a comfortable jacket with ear muffs and a stocking cap. In really cold weather, the snowmobile clothes and gloves come out.

I think it is relatively easy to keep the body warm for walking. Layers and such. I struggle with a good face warmth strategy, including eyes and things that don't fog up..............

Last edited:
I wear jeans for short walks/hikes in 30- 40 degrees. I do layer up on top and wear a stocking hat and smart wool socks, and gloves, but my legs very seldom get cold. At colder temps, I wear insulated Carhart coveralls. I sometimes wear winter biking or running pants (no tights here either), but jeans seem just as good to me.

A little pricy, North Face makes winter pants for both men and women. I live in their fleece ones in the winter. Not a very athletic look but then I am not a power walker.

Today it is high 40s and dry. I wore light cotton pants, light sweater and REI down jacket, watch cap, Chaco sandals, no socks and no gloves. If it gets into the 20s I would wear normal gloves, same pants hat and jacket, but hiking boots instead of sandals.

If I were going on an expedition, or planned to sit in a duck blind, I'd want more.

Ha

I ran today 4 miles in 40 deg F weather. I used my biking tights and two long-sleeve bike jerseys, a knit cap, and gloves. I have polypropylene long johns for winter ski camping, too.

One can still wear tights or long johns and cover them with sweats or jeans.

Unlike the running tights shown by runningbum, my full-length tights are like bib overalls. They are not going to slide up or down at all. The ends of the legs have short zippers, so easy to pull on and off. And no air gaps at socks, but a good overlap instead.

Oh, before running I walked 4 miles with the dog. I just had jeans on, but did have a down vest on under my hoodie.

Last edited:
Men's Running Pants and Tights | Running Warehouse has running/walking tights and pants, and if you click on one you get more details such as the temperature range they are designed for. My guess is that you want pants, not tights, but you could also get a pair of tights to wear under pants for colder weather. I probably use Running Warehouse 5 or more times a year for a few years now, and the two minor issues I had were quickly resolved. If you like their facebook page you can get an additional 15% off on most sales.
Thanks, RunningBum! I walk in all sorts of weather and have been looking for something much lighter than my Carhartts to wear this winter. Found what I think will be just perfect for me at Running Warehouse! After working outside for way too many years, I'm a huge fan of layering, so ordered pants, and tights to wear under them.
dressing in layers is the key to staying warm. on the inside you need something to wick away the moisture from your body, something wind and waterproof on the outside.
+1

I spent 32 winters outdoors, next to a river, for hours on end, most times washing tanks with high-pressure hoses. I wore multiple lighter layers, and stayed warm and toasty even down into the sub-teens. Most of the other guys wore one single heavy layer and about froze to death.:facepalm:

I wear Cuddl Duds leggings and tops under my clothes in very cold weather if I am going to be outside for a lengthy period of time. I have two sets, bought at Kohl's.

Some of you have mentioned temperatures, but none of you have mentioned cold weather. Please post your definition. Mine is < -30C. YMMV.

How many miles do you walk in -30, Rick? LOL!

Cold is all relative, I think it's important to be comfortable, whatever that is to you, but not overheat. To me, fleece or flannel lined is only for when I'll be sitting, not constantly moving. I stay in shorts down to about 35, but I see others in tights below 50, and some in shorts down to 20.

There's a running thing in winter, to see who has the biggest number in miles run - temperature in F. My nephew did 42 (50-8) on Christmas Eve two years ago. I got 19 (50-31) a couple weeks ago, 31 being the low temp on a day that got over 40s for some of it.

Back
Top Bottom