Well I finally did it

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I gave my notice on 7/5/2016 and my last day was 8/5/2016. I am still a bit numb.

Although I had been looking forward to ER, the timing was sudden based on the actions of the SVP I reported to. I would have preferred to stay a while longer at a happy, fulfilling, high paying job, but that was not what the situation had become. Like they say, "One out of three ain't bad.":)

My co-workers showed much more affection than I was expecting. They held four going away events for me: cake, out to lunch, in-office brunch and in office luncheon. I will certainly miss some of them and feel bad leaving them to suffer with insufficient staff and abusive management.

Since I am still on weekend, my schedule has not yet changed. I suppose tomorrow will be my first day in the new life, but it will probably just seem like the first day of a short PTO break. I imagine it will not really hit me for a week or two.

My immediate plans are to catch up on the house cleaning I should have been doing but was not due to being emotionally drained from w*rk, scheduling one or two hours of walking per day, starting back up on a body-weigh exercise program (easy at first).

Although I have studied the theory and made a few spreadsheets, I have not been as thorough as most of you seem to be. It seems that there are so many assumed variables, any one of which a few percent one way or the other can drastically change the results.

I tried to estimate my expenses, but now that i have no income I plan to try to trim where I can and record everything I spend so I can get a new baseline. Previously, I lived below my means, but my salary was high enough that I could buy whatever I wanted (which did not include extravagant things) and not worry about keeping track.

My asset mix is very conservative, having dialed risk back quite a bit in the past couple of years. I plan to do some analysis and possibly adjust, but I can't help feeling that the stock market risk/reward ration is not that great right now. If it corrects, I would most likely increase my equity exposure. I suppose I could start averaging back in, which is what I imagine most of you would suggest.

Well, I will report back in a few weeks once the reality of the situation sinks in.

Joe

Congratulations, Joe! It sounds like you were given a friendly send-off, and now it will be nice to take your time adjusting to your new life. This forum has a wealth of informed investors and other friendly folk who are great resources for just about any question you can imagine.

In the meantime, enjoy your new-found freedom. (It is not an acquired taste!)

:dance:

Last edited:
Yes, welcome to the club. Tomorrow the alarm clock will not ring and you start your new life!

Congratulations, now sleep in tomorrow! It will probably seem like vacation for a bit, be looking forward to an update in 2-3 months.

Congratulations! !
Lol honestly it seems like I'm as busy now as I was working. It maybe that it's summer so lots to do

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Congrats and welcome to the early retiree club! Hopefully, you managed to sleep in this morning. If not, at least you didn't have the dreaded Sunday evening heebie-jeebies worrying about upcoming week and all your work assignments.

omni

Congratulations, and enjoy! It will slowly sink in...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Congratulations and enjoy the rest of your new life. Make it what you want it to be.

Congratulations Joe! I hopped off the hamster wheel on June 30th and am enjoying every day of my permanent vacation. No more office intrigue, no more mandatory travel, no more teleconferences, just freedom. A year ago I thought that I'd stick with it a few more years, but the three weeks I took off over Christmas was so enjoyable that I sent my letter before the end of December so that I could phase out my last six months. I hope that you find the freedom as enjoyable as I do.

Thanks to everyone that responded on this thread with so many encouraging comments.

A couple posts hit home. No more Sunday night worries about going back to work. No more mandatory travel, although I only had to a couple times, I got stranded in Cleveland and almost abandoned by my co-worker in his rush to get a different flight so he would not miss out on meeting the CEO.

I have had a chronic post-nasal drip that I could not get rid of, even after buying hepa filters for my house. Well, after a week at home it is virtually gone. I guess the work environment was toxic in more ways than one.

I've been listening to the Financial Sense Newshour podcast and heard one about this book "The 100 year life" which made the case that the old plan of retirement does not work and that living longer means you need some sort of second career.

I am starting to get in shape, so I plan to give myself three or four months where my primary job is walking and exercising. Once I am healthy again, I will start thinking about whether some part-time w*rk or small business would be a good idea.

For now, I just have to fight off the urge to get some ice cream.

Congratulations Joe. I am targeting October 31st 2016 and looking forward to it. For DW and I it will be travel travel travel. I find myself watching the travel channel all the time now. There are so many places we want to go. DW wants to travel abroad while I believe there are so many places in the U.S. to see. Retiring at the end of October will allow me to enjoy the late fall all the way thru Christmas/New Years. (My favorite time of year)
I also plan to maintain my exercise routine and take some classes at the local junior college.
If your are exercising and eating healthy most of the time, there is no reason to fight that urge for some ice cream on occasion. Ditto for ribs or chicken fried steak every once in a while.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Congrats Joe, thats great!

Your health will certainly improve now that the stress of w*rk is gone.

One neat thing is waking up at "get ready for w*rk time" and listening to the growing crescendo of traffic sounds, knowing that you don't have to be a part of that anymore.

Then going back to sleep.:LOL: ;)

_B

Back
Top Bottom