What a great unexpected difference one day makes!

johnnyfuego

Recycles dryer sheets
Though I'm not quite in the company of the Life after Fire folks, (shooting for mid July) I thought that this would be the best forum to post some thoughts and actions that have occurred over the last few days. I will preface with letting you know that I have had a great career in the fire service, and save for a few knuckleheads and upper level politics, got along with most all of my brothers and sisters. It's been a great ride, but I have had enough and am ready to move on.

That being said, it was with great unexpected pleasure that I woke up New Years day thinking 'this is the year I will retire!' I cannot explain it, didn't expect it, and not that 12-31-14 was a bad day, but these first few days of 2015 feel great! So great that I came down with (wink) rv-itis, called in sick and went to a great rv show in San Antonio yesterday. Gotta get my practice in ya know. Did I care that it was a soupy nasty 40 degree 200 mile round trip? Not in the least...

So, did any of you fired folks have similar feelings first morning of the year that you retired? I hope so! :cool:

Imagine having a long journey on a treacherous road with a backpack full of extra food, clothing, maps, survival equipment and other gear needed to insure your safety and success.

Finally a few miles from the end of the journey you realize you don't need all the extra food, water, clothing, foul weather gear and so on. You toss it to the side or give it to some other poor soul and complete the last day's walk with a very light pack. The last few miles are an easy walk on a good road, in good weather with plenty of pleasant scenery and nice people to accompany you. At last you can enjoy the trip without having to worry about surviving.

That's how I felt.

Alas, I am 6 months away and feeling some fear and trepidation. We got to the homestretch and are facing expensive legal issues (monied upstart is taking us to court demanding a road thru the middle of some of our property) and DW found that the job that would ease our entry into retirement may not materialize. We have sufficient cushion for these but it is certainly not the way to begin the year!

Johnny - I'm not an rv'er, but like you I find soupy nasty 40° days to be much more tolerable in retirement

When you RE and get that RV, you can bring it up here to Colorado for long stretches in the summer like so many other Texans do! (Some never go back home. ;))

Hermit

Imagine having a long journey on a treacherous road with a backpack full of extra food, clothing, maps, survival equipment and other gear needed to insure your safety and success.

Finally a few miles from the end of the journey you realize you don't need all the extra food, water, clothing, foul weather gear and so on. You toss it to the side or give it to some other poor soul and complete the last day's walk with a very light pack. The last few miles are an easy walk on a good road, in good weather with plenty of pleasant scenery and nice people to accompany you. At last you can enjoy the trip without having to worry about surviving.

That's how I felt.

I love this analogy!!!

Alas, I am 6 months away and feeling some fear and trepidation. We got to the homestretch and are facing expensive legal issues (monied upstart is taking us to court demanding a road thru the middle of some of our property) and DW found that the job that would ease our entry into retirement may not materialize. We have sufficient cushion for these but it is certainly not the way to begin the year!

Don't know your situation, but you might want to carefully think 'is it worth it to fight' vs perhaps sell (get money) for giving a right-away, or leasing the land for 40 yrs, etc.

I mention this as I know of 2 stories, both a disagreement over the property line (which is not the same as middle of property).
Fellow wanted to paint his house, neighbor said can't stand beside house as not painters property. They fight it out in court, both get surveys, finally the painter fellow proves he can stand on property to paint house. He had to sell the house to pay the legal fees. So he really lost in the end.

Another case, fellow moves property survey marker while building, as he needed a few more feet of land. Other side sues him. Case is not resolved yet, but both sides paid for multiple surveys, and each has spent 100K on it so far. Properties might each be worth 150K at best. Really both are losing out.

It wasn't the first morning of the year but the first day I realized that I wanted to ER and that it was possible. During that first weekend I truly felt a burden lifted from my shoulders. However, it wasn't until I actually left the w*rkplace that I realized the depths of my w*rk stress. I was aware of not having stress all of the first year.

I had that relief when, knowing I was FI, I was backed into a corner and told my boss I was retiring! Jan 1 this year (RE date is July 1) I woke up and didn't feel the stress that I have felt every year for the past 35 years!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

When I knew I was pulling the trigger for sure, done with OMY, and had set my date. Then I started waking up an hour early. Went mushroom hunting almost every day. I knew I was a couple of weeks ahead of any chance of finding Morels and I didn't really care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

That's how I felt.

Eloquent!!! +1

I'm having very mixed feelings. I've been on vacation the past two weeks and as I do things I enjoy I keep saying "wow - retiring is going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO great. I'll be able to do even more of this, and even more of that". But every once in awhile nervous nelly wakes up and tells me "you are NUTS !!! what if you are making a mistake :confused: what if the market tanks and you end up an 80 year old bag lady :confused:". And then I go to do some of this, or a little of that and I settle down again --- at least for a little while.

I felt a weight lifted last October when DH an I made the decision that I would ER in 2015. Since then a little stress /trepidation has come back, as I try to figure out when/how to announce retirement (trying to guess if there will be a separation package offered this year). But if I just take a step back and remember that none of this will matter in three months, I start to feel good again.

Don't know your situation, but you might want to carefully think 'is it worth it to fight' vs perhaps sell (get money) for giving a right-away, or leasing the land for 40 yrs, etc.

I mention this as I know of 2 stories, both a disagreement over the property line (which is not the same as middle of property).
Fellow wanted to paint his house, neighbor said can't stand beside house as not painters property. They fight it out in court, both get surveys, finally the painter fellow proves he can stand on property to paint house. He had to sell the house to pay the legal fees. So he really lost in the end.

Another case, fellow moves property survey marker while building, as he needed a few more feet of land. Other side sues him. Case is not resolved yet, but both sides paid for multiple surveys, and each has spent 100K on it so far. Properties might each be worth 150K at best. Really both are losing out.

If it were this cut and dried it might be easier. It is family property we have kept for over 100 years and the road is thru prime space. Family members' (myself somewhat as well) pride and right and wrong is involved. We are absolutely certain we are in the right and have documents to prove it. They were turned down by two other lawyers to even take the case. I pulled up an old map that shows they have a legal right to another easement which means legally they have no chance. The law says we are entitle to our legal fees to be reimbursed. Back woods politics and good ole boy deals means we are up in the air--lawyer says maybe 30% chance of reimbursement but likely to prevail on making them take another route. We did offer them another route along the edge of the property for a price. They refused and insist on cutting thru the parcel for a pittance.

I apologize. This is raining on the OPs original feel-good post!

I have two days left before I resign and begin any transition needed (a few weeks at most) before retirement. I'm actually feeling a combination of relief, happiness and trepidation. It's more than time to retire. I don't need the money. The trepidation is from walking away from an easy, very well paying job. I have the kind of position that I could stay at until I'm 80+ and we have many people in my department over 70.

2B,

Make a list of the things you want to do rather than be at an office, even if it is an easy job. That's why you walk away once you have enough money. To do those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

That's how I felt.
+1 Excellent analogy. I gave 4 months notice and enjoyed that lightness of being for all of them. Not surprisingly it has continued for the 10 years since.

2B,

Make a list of the things you want to do rather than be at an office, even if it is an easy job. That's why you walk away once you have enough money. To do those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I will resign tomorrow (5 Jan). It's just a leap from my routine. I've been "employed" or hustling income since I was 14. I've been practicing the last two weeks with a stay at home vacation. It wasn't a perfect practice since DW had foot surgery, Christmas crowds were everywhere and our weather has been poor for outdoor activities. I did manage to keep busy.

That's how I felt.[/QUOTE

I like that! I am two plus years out and I am already starting to feel this way. We are also starting to literally shed/liquidate some of our physical possessions as well. Kind of like skipping down the trail while disrobing and knowing that there is a great swimming hole just ahead!

Last edited:
I didn't have that new year sense of freedom last new years... that's because I still had myself in the 2015 or 2016 camp.... and didn't know I'd be retireing in 2014.

No pension considerations, just nest egg considerations.

Our OMY turns into OMQ (One more quarter) at a time.

If we ER today, our WR would be slightly less than 4% (not counting SS, and we have no pension). So, the feeling of 'is this enough'? What if this happens or that happens? Is this the year that market will retract?

So, we soldier on. We both work from home with very little stress. After 3PM, we turn off our company laptops, and take a daily walk under California weather dreaming about the days we can actually be totally free.

I have given notice for July 1, and am looking forward to that day! Congrats and good luck!

Heck, yeah!

And, any Class of 2015'ers feeling the same way?

I'm a newbie on this site, and am planning to retire sometime in late '15. Don't feel much different yet, but I'm sure once I set a firm date it will kick in.

Is there a thread re: the best time of year/month to retire? I'm sure it depends on the retirement system you're in. How about for SS?

Back
Top Bottom