What color should we paint our house?

cashflo2u2

Recycles dryer sheets
This is a big decision that has many years duration. Do we spend hundreds on small paint sample cans? The house already looks like a crazy quilt on one side from painting patches of sample colors. We have a funny looking house now.

This is a big decision that has many years duration. Do we spend hundreds on small paint sample cans? The house already looks like a crazy quilt on one side from painting patches of sample colors. We have a funny looking house now.

When I was trying to figure out what color to paint my house we drove around to several neighborhoods that had our style house . We found one we liked and took pictures and had the painter match it . It worked out perfectly .

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix- Red House

I can't think of a better reason to paint it red ;)

BTW, Have you heard Buddy Guy's rendition on the Stone Free - Tribute to Jimi Hendrix album? Best version I've ever heard, and best recorded Guy I've heard (he's even better live though).

Back to the OP - take a picture and try photo-shopping it.

-ERD50

Some of the major paint companies have online "viewer" with model house pictures you can paint exterior body and trim with their different colors. However, I'm told this could look very different on your house than on your computer screen.

I hate to even bring this up but do live in a deed restricted community? If so you know the rules. Have to get board approval on the base color and the trim. Sorry, but have had a lot of experience along these lines.

[LEFT said:
cashflo[/LEFT]2u2;829473]Some of the major paint companies have online "viewer" with model house pictures you can paint exterior body and trim with their different colors. However, I'm told this could look very different on your house than on your computer screen.

I tried that but still could not make a decision . The driving around looking at houses worked for us .

I think that it depends on 1) the style of the house, 2) your area of the country, 3) color palette and restrictions in your neighborhood.

An Art deco house in Miami will have a very different range of acceptable colors than an arts and crafts house in the midwest, a greek revival house in the South, or a victorian house in San Francisco.

From a professional in the house building business I know, THE most popular color when reselling a house is: yellow! Light yellow I'm sure but yellow.

We've been thinking about painting our house too.

We noticed that all of the Northern facing rain gutters (painted in light colors) get very dirty in our neighborhood. I don't think they get much sun exposure.

When we repaint, we will paint our rain gutters a darker color so they stay cleaner looking longer.

Post a picture of your house and your neighbors houses and let's give it a go.

DH and I are having new siding put on our rental house. Here's the color scheme we selected. This isn't our house, but it's similiar. It's from the siding manufacturer's website and the color is called "classic cream":

Attachments

• classic cream.gif
    classic cream.gif
    69.4 KB · Views: 3
Does this qualify? (I had to beat HFWR to this punch :cool:)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I love it! I was a huge Cream fan back in the day, but never thought of this!! Must be gettin' old or somethin'.

Well Cream or not, I agree with Purron! Paint it classic cream. That's a really pretty color for a house.

What colors do you have on your walls? Perhaps you can bring the inside color outdoors.

Do you have brick on your house...you could choose a color that would match well with your brick. I've "heard" you should have no more than three colors on the outside of your home.

Our house is mostly brick, but the color of the brick is mottled. We picked one color to paint the door and trim that matched one of the specks.

Excellent!

"A pressed rat's collection of dog legs and feet..."

Always liked the line right before this too:

"Selling atonal apples, amplified heat"

Purron, that is the color of our house--the palest cream with white trim. It had been quite colorful (three colors? Pshaw! We had six) so I said I wanted white on white.

Everyone calls it yellow anyway.

Back
Top Bottom