Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #1381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Filled out my SF-3107 (Application for Immediate Retirement) very carefully in black ink with neat block letters.
Congratulations! I am sure you will be happy retired. You are happy already; retirement has to make it even better, right?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #1382
Give me a forum ...

Housecleaner was here today. dh2b fixed up an old computer and we gave it to her. She will use it as a dual duty birthday present for her 2 young sons. This gal is struggling to better her situation and we are helping her any way we can. I am "paying it forward", the same way people helped me when I was a starving college student.
Did 1 laundry load, emptied dishwasher, took photos, did exercise bike and barbells, surfed, making beef stroganoff in crockpot. The smell is killing me!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #1383
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Once the paperwork is filled out...the submission is just the icing on the cake. Very happy for you
Thank you! I am pretty happy myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Congratulations! I am sure you will be happy retired. You are happy already; retirement has to make it even better, right?

Ha
Thank you! You're right - - I am a happy person most of the time already, and retirement will step it up a notch.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #1384
Give me a forum ...

Took the mutt on a hike this morning out at the reservoir. Did some yard work at my mother's house and just got through washing my Trailblazer. Heading out to the club tonight for a bite and a couple of meds. Got to pick up some meds on the way home, completely out.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #1385
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you! I am pretty happy myself.

Thank you! You're right - - I am a happy person most of the time already, and retirement will step it up a notch.
Way to go, W2R!
When's the FIRE party?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #1386
Give me a forum ...

Got my midlife crisis car out and gave it a hand wash, vacuumed the inside, wiped down all surfaces with ArmorAll, took it for a ride and burned some rubber. I waited until the Sherriff went straight, then I turned left and wound it out on a nice straight country road.
If there was ever a good reason to FIRE, here it is...and no car payments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang.jpg (4.0 KB, 154 views)
Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #1387
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Way to go, W2R!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When's the FIRE party?
Well, that will have to wait until I'm FIRED.... (see sig line for that timeframe!)

I'm pretty happy to be making it official.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #1388
Give me a forum ...

Filled out my SF-3107 (Application for Immediate Retirement) very carefully in black ink with neat block letters.

Then took it down to Human Resources, only to find that the person that I was going to give it to has the afternoon off.

So today I ALMOST made it official. I will give it to her next week, unless she advises me to wait.

W2R, Just remember, you can always pull your paperwork at the very last minute...(but you won't)! Congratulations...there will be envy on all sides where you work...
Old 05-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #1389
Give me a forum ...

drank some bourbon with healthful mint leaves. watched a pony shift gears and pass a crowd.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #1390
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
drank some bourbon with healthful mint leaves. watched a pony shift gears and pass a crowd.
Please post a pic of your hat.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #1391
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
50 to 1.

Life is good for someone
Old 05-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #1392
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Please post a pic of your hat.
Not a hat person - but did you see the foot gear on some of the women pre-race? One in Wellingtons, one barefoot - but both in big hats.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #1393

Quote:
Thank you!

Well, that will have to wait until I'm FIRED.... (see sig line for that timeframe!)

I'm pretty happy to be making it official.

Woo! Hoo! Now the real fun begins (I know there is some time yet, but the attitude changes once you've turned in the documents).

-- Rita
Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #1394
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A good clothesline day.
Made salads.
Moved stuff around in the garage.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #1395
Full time employment: Posting here.

Saturday we spent most of the day at a Pet Fiesta- twice a year they block off the streets in the Reston, VA town center and many of the local pet businesses and rescue are there to either sell or meet potential adopters or gather donations. We had our blind and deaf foster (Sheltie named Millie) there and she did a great job bringing people in to the booth to talk about what we do. There were also a couple of people who might be interested to adopt her and we'll be following up with them. Millie is blind and deaf from birth (she's only 11 months old) but gets around great and loves to be held or hugged by anyone- she'd very cute and can really bring in the sympathy crowd. I must have told her story a hundred times and had to constantly remind people that although she can't see or hear, she is still a puppy and likes to play, chew, and do otherwise puppy things- she's only about 50% housebroken which is turning out to be a real challenge, the normal methods aren't very usable in her case.

My job was to stand out front holding Millie with her head laying on my shoulder or in her "dead dog" pose where she just hangs upside down in your arms without moving. As people would come up to say hi or to pet her, I'd tell them she was blind and deaf and usually others within ear shot would come over to meet her too- by the end of the day, she was worn out (that was nice, lol) and we were too. Maybe I could get a job as a carnival barker.

There are 100's of dogs at this event and amazingly, in the many years we've been going to this event, I can only remember one or two actual dog fights that were quickly broken up- owners and handlers do a great job and it's a lot of fun to meet and play with all the different breeds of dogs.

A fun day, we originally planned to stay just a couple of hours but Millie did so well, we stayed from 9 until 4pm.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #1396
Give me a forum ...

Started the day listening to some very horny turkeys gobbling and drumming behind the property.
Hope all the turkeys got some.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_turkey
Did a very nice morning session in the outdoor hot tub.
Then it became tend the garden and open fire pit day. dh2b tilled the entire garden for me while I gathered yard sticks (the dead kind that fall off the trees) and had a nice fire. Ground is wet so this is the best time of year to do a burn. Got rid of an older pile of logs covered with turkey-tail mushrooms and some thinner branches from last year.
Made thick chunky tomato soup and mushroom crostini for dinner. Wow!
All tuckered out - good thing dh2b has to w*rk tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #1397
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
A good clothesline day.
Made salads.
Moved stuff around in the garage.
Khan,

add one syllable and your post becomes haiku.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #1398
Give me a forum ...

I really meant to goof off today, but the beautiful weather foiled my plans.
I got the powerwasher all fired up and cleaned grime and algae and moss and all sorts of rotted dead leaves and muck off the concrete patio and under the steps of the deck. It took me 3 hours to do the whole thing, slowly sweeping the nozzle back and forth, driving all that gunk off the concrete.
I made a huge mistake in a corner. I pointed the nozzle just "wrong" and ended up wearing the debris.
TG I had safety glasses on.
The porch floor I stained on Sat AM is completely cured, so tomorrow I will move everything over to the stained side and clean/prep the rest of the floor. This is better exercise and definitely more fun than the stationary bike and barbells.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #1399

A day good for ducks. Rain since yesterday, rain all day, more rain tomorrow.

The ground is now fully saturated, robins are fishing for worms.

Kayak is is wet on the the top side, waiting for decent day to go paddling again.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #1400

I got close with my treadmill. It was hot and sweaty. Must find food.