Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #17241
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL, bbbam!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #17242
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh good for you, W2R! I'm awaiting my name coming down on a waiting list for a co-op townhouse, though not my dream home, unfortunately. Don't know when but have lots packed and ready to go.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #17243
Administrator

That's great, LinCella! I hope your name comes up on that waiting list really quickly. My "dream house" is only a dream house for me, because it happens to be exactly what I wanted and where I wanted to be. Somebody else would just see it as another old small 1950's house and not think it was a dream house at all, but for me it is.

This morning I packed a 73.7 pound laser printer by myself so I think that is more than enough for today. It's time to put my feet up and enjoy a tall, cool glass of ice water this afternoon.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #17244

The first interested person came by to look at the motorcycle for sale. He seemed interested, said it was in better shape than most he's seen. But he doesn't have his motorcycle license (asked if he could take it for a ride - um, no) and it is definitely not a beginner's bike.

So a sale to him seems unlikely.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #17245
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back from a weekend getaway to Northern Wisconsin with some Porsche enthusiast friends. Because is was still early in the year it wasn't at all 'touristy' yet, and we had an enjoyable time exploring the alphabet soup of county roads around Manitowish Waters. Saturday turned out to be a beautiful Spring day in the Northwoods!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Presque Isle.jpg (617.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #17246
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The first interested person came by to look at the motorcycle for sale. He seemed interested, said it was in better shape than most he's seen. But he doesn't have his motorcycle license (asked if he could take it for a ride - um, no) and it is definitely not a beginner's bike.

So a sale to him seems unlikely.
Take it there was no point in asking for insurance card?

When I sold my bike I made them show me both.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #17247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Take it there was no point in asking for insurance card?

When I sold my bike I made them show me both.
Correct on the insurance card. If he'd had the motorcycle endorsement I would then have asked to make a copy of his license and insurance card. But if the guy doesn't have the endorsement chances are he's never ridden anything heavier than a dirt bike and odds are good he'd get hurt, not to mention damaging my bike. The C90T weighs 800 lbs - it is not a lightweight bike. He came with his father, about 50 years old and he seemed to know bikes.

Actually at this point I wouldn't mind if someone did steal it - it's insured. I guess leaving it in a shopping center parking lot for a weekend with the key in it would be a bit over the top though.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #17248
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Enjoyed a big Tstorm in the State Park. Woke up at 3 am when the wind started rocking the camper. Around 5am, DW went to use the restroom, did a faceplant just as I was going to tell her to watch the step. Banged up her left arm pretty well. NWS had issued a tornado warning till 2am, yikes! Talked with a friendly guy from Springfield he told me you can't hear any sirens here the Park Ranger will come to wake everyone.

Today 95% of the poor w#rking folks left only 3 campers around. Should be quite.

🐑
Old 05-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #17249
Give me a forum ...

Woke up early and decided to skip the morning "soaking" session. "Soaking" means laying in bed awake, doing some all body stretching, and just plain enjoying the freedom to do so.

Thunderstorms are predicted for the next 2 days. I'm glad I got the lawn mowed yesterday. Next two days will be devoted to indoor projects, changing the lawn tractor oil and filter, watching baseball, and enjoying the AC indoors. Summer has arrived very early here. I love the warm weather but anything above 80F keeps me inside (hot flashes) so I don't get overheated. That happened yesterday when I was helping Mr B and my gardening buddy put a cover over Mr B's MGB convertible to keep the upcoming pouring rain out. He is going to sell it for sure this summer, versus storing it inside the garage.

Off to do my indoor chores...
Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #17250
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took my stand-up paddle board out on the lake for the first time today. It's no coincidence that I waited for Monday morning when the weekenders are gone. I figure the fewer people around to see my inaugural attempt on the board, the better.

Balancing was easier than I thought it would be. I just (carefully) stepped off the dock onto the board when I launched and reversed the process when I returned. Only my feet got wet-- I expected a couple of splashdowns before I mastered the balance. Paddling the board was a little less efficient than I expected. I was out for an hour and improved as time went on, but I still need to figure out where to stand on the board and how to paddle/feather to keep a straighter track. I couldn't decide whether to paddle cross-handed and only switch hands occasionally, or to switch hands every 3-4 strokes.

Are there any SUPers here who wish to give me some tips?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #17251

Back at w*rk this morning recovering from playing 5 hours of pickleball yesterday.

Had my first real lessons and learned that most of my mechanics are pretty good. Instructor changed my paddle grip though which put my game out of whack. Have a tournament in Arcadia, CA this weekend so need to be on the courts practicing rather than working!

My countdown to retirement is sitting at 5 months; 13 days; 13 hours; 13 minutes... very funny. Just happened to look up as I was writing and saw it.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #17252
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Walked 3 miles at just above 19 min/mile.
Laundry washed/hung/put away.
Made beef stew in Crockpot.
Observed new bees.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #17253

Flushed the cooling system on the GMC pickup and put in new antifreeze. Read part of a book by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter "The Light of Other Days" that I picked up at the library.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #17254
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quiet morning putzing around the house.

Then some late spring planting in the backyard garden - turned in some fresh topsoil, planted cucumbers, beans, bell peppers and squash.

Made a run to the nursery for some bark/ground cover for the front yard flower beds.

The oldest son is back from his 1st year of college - so we tackled some pruning/trimming in the front.

Now relaxing before dinner with something cold on the back patio - enjoying the feeling of 'getting stuff done' before we munch on left overs from Sunday.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #17255

Finished my backup generator install. Fired it up and it works. Somewhat surprised. Then fired up the sprinkler system for the first time this year. Found a hairline crack in the suction line coming from the lake. Need to fix that someday. Then went kayaking, and then bought and planted some more flowers.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #17256
Give me a forum ...

Put up and filled ten glass shelves in new home.
Can't say enough about how good "Invisible Glass" is. Beats Windex or anything else I've ever used by a mile. DW is equally a fan of this stuff.

Best part is I don't have to go to the auto supply store any more for it -- my local supermarket carries it now.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #17257
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I took my stand-up paddle board out on the lake for the first time today. It's no coincidence that I waited for Monday morning when the weekenders are gone. I figure the fewer people around to see my inaugural attempt on the board, the better.

Balancing was easier than I thought it would be. I just (carefully) stepped off the dock onto the board when I launched and reversed the process when I returned. Only my feet got wet-- I expected a couple of splashdowns before I mastered the balance. Paddling the board was a little less efficient than I expected. I was out for an hour and improved as time went on, but I still need to figure out where to stand on the board and how to paddle/feather to keep a straighter track. I couldn't decide whether to paddle cross-handed and only switch hands occasionally, or to switch hands every 3-4 strokes.

Are there any SUPers here who wish to give me some tips?

I don't have any tips but I'm jealous you were out on the SUP already. I did some paddle boarding on vacation in February but it hasn't been warm enough here in CO to get out on the water yet. I can't wait!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #17258

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
I don't have any tips but I'm jealous you were out on the SUP already. I did some paddle boarding on vacation in February but it hasn't been warm enough here in CO to get out on the water yet. I can't wait!
It snowed up here in the mountains for about an hour this morning.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #17259
Recycles dryer sheets

New deep fryer got a workout! Made fish and chips for 10 of my favourite people. And we still have one big lingcod fillet left! I love the great PNW!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (426.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #17260

Yesterday I went down to the city to get the oil changed and new tires for the Jeep. I got the oil changed, but the tires had to be ordered at Costco so I have an appointment on Friday to get them installed.

I also had a jammed nail gun that I could not get freed so I took the jammed parts to an authorized service center and they got it unstuck. I will put it back together today and make sure it works. If not, I have a new one from Amazon that is supposed to be delivered from this evening. Its worth the $200 to have a spare so I don't loose any more days for building than is caused by the weather.

It rained all night again last night and this morning it turned to snow. We had about 1.5 inches of very wet snow. The good news is the pond that has been dry for a few years is getting full. The bad news is the floor on my house is getting soaked unmercifully. I hope it will be OK when things finally dry out. Rain or thunderstorms forecast for the next 10 days.