Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Related recently on another thread, I gave notice on a Tuesday and took the remainder of my vacation starting that Friday. Prior to that, I hadn't told a soul - mostly because I had decided over the weekend (Labor Day). I was on good terms with my boss who, of course, wished me well - I think with a bit of envy.

The person who surprised me was my Division Director who stopped at my desk to say good bye (she had traveled from our Corp. HQ for a meeting anyway) and was quite surprised at my leaving. I had worked with her on several projects and bonded with her over the past few years as she made a meteoric rise through the organization. She asked why I was leaving. I mentioned that, in the past, I had been given assignments that I really didn't want to do, but I felt I had no choice but to take them since "the door" was the only other choice. I told her that this time when I received an assignment that I didn't want to do, I decided that I didn't have to take it. The door was the better option. I said it better than I'm relating it here and I heard through my former boss that she had quoted me later in a very complimentary way. She hoped when the time came that she could retire "the way Koolau did it". I couldn't have been more gratified if they had thrown a banquet in my honor. Her respect was worth more than any gift I could have been given.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
You must be a government employee. Very few real companies would pay you for that.
I am a retired Government employee and also had more than 200 days sick leave accumulated. The Government does not pay for the sick leave; at least on the old CSRS. It was added to my years worked for pension purposes and increased my pension by maybe 1.5%.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I mentioned that, in the past, I had been given assignments that I really didn't want to do, but I felt I had no choice but to take them since "the door" was the only other choice. I told her that this time when I received an assignment that I didn't want to do, I decided that I didn't have to take it. The door was the better option.
I told my boss in January that I was leaving end of March or April. He has prevailed on me to continue to work 1 day a week after that which works well for both of us. One reason I gave notice then was that I didn't want to get sucked into a large matter that was just heating up that I really didn't want to work on. It is likely to require a lot of hours and be stressful and I just don't want to do it. I wrapped up worked last week on another major project and now this other one is starting to take up time. I told him we needed to talk about transitioning me out of it and his immediate response was that I was working full-time through April so I would still work on it fully for the next two months. It didn't take me long to say that I would then need to move up my leaving date. I was prepared to stay through April if he wanted but I was also totally content to leave at the end of March. And I knew I would rather do that then work on something I really just didn't want to work on.
Of course, he realized that and got back to the transitioning me out mode. It was very nice though to realize that I have the choice and that the door is indeed a very viable option.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #24

Had a lame duck experience at a staff meeting yesterday. Asst Princ. who was trying to herd cats, namely us as she has zero cred with us, made some sarcastic remark to me about some issue we were discussing and how "You don't care anyway" (the implication being she knows I'm gone in June). Actually resented it a bit since it was largely projection from a bitter person who I think is probably envious. Anyways, let it slide cuz, I guess as far my opinion of her is concerned, I really don't care anyway! And as someone earlier pointed out, "Ha, Ha". Not that I'm the kind to rub it in.