Anyone use hypnosis as a treatment?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone ever been hypnotized in order to treat a fear? If so, did it work and who did the treatment? I have been thinking of having it done to help me overcome a fear. Just as a side note, many years ago when I was in college one of our professors said that if anyone of us wants extra credits we can go to a colleague of his who was doing some type of experiment with hypnosis. I don't remember the details but I guess the guy was reliable as the NYC Police had used him to help people recall license plate numbers, etc. Anyway, I did go see the guy but after visiting him he said that I cannot be hypnotized and would not be a good subject. I in no way tried to resist when he tried to hypnotize me so I am not sure what went down.

No personal experience, but I have a friend whose brother is a professional hypnotist. He has an incredibly busy practice and I've talked to a couple of his patients who raved about how effective he was. So there definitely are some good ones.

I've always been curious about it, but have no idea whether I'd be susceptible to hypnosis or not. I rather suspect not.

Don't know if you're susceptible or not but I have heard that people who protest the loudest that they're not susceptible are usually the most susceptible

I have done a great deal of hypnosis with my patients. It is extremely effective for irrational fears and habit control (smoking, weight loss etc). I mentioned irrational fears, because rational fears (eg, fear of lions, masked men with guns, etc ) are self-preserving and can’t/shouldn't be eradicated.

I highly recommend trying it. Ask the hypnotist to audio record the hypnosis session on your phone or a voice recorder, as it helps to replay it to help reinforce for success. I always made recordings for my patients.

I was an unbeliever in hypnosis, until DS was hypnotized by the "Comedy Hypnotist" at the State Fair a few years back. I was there, but wasn't susceptible. Now I believe.

Has anyone ever been hypnotized in order to treat a fear? If so, did it work and who did the treatment? I have been thinking of having it done to help me overcome a fear. Just as a side note, many years ago when I was in college one of our professors said that if anyone of us wants extra credits we can go to a colleague of his who was doing some type of experiment with hypnosis. I don't remember the details but I guess the guy was reliable as the NYC Police had used him to help people recall license plate numbers, etc. Anyway, I did go see the guy but after visiting him he said that I cannot be hypnotized and would not be a good subject. I in no way tried to resist when he tried to hypnotize me so I am not sure what went down.

I also volunteered for the experiment in college (one of my undergrad degrees was phycology.) I was told that I was not susceptible, but I "fought it" and did notice an influence. I have heard it has helped some people give up smoking.

Last edited:
I tried it multiple times before for anxiety a long time ago, and it didn't work at all.

I know people tried it for tinnitus (on tinnitus forum discussion), and it was ineffective.

I have never been hypnotized, but do use meditation and bio-feedback for help with sleep and anxiety.

how do you know if the hypnotist is any good or not?

Some practicioners specialize in hypnosis, which they do primarily. They will advertise as such and list their certifications. (There are many certifications, but none required). You can reach out to psychologists or other psychotherapists and ask if they do hypnosis. Otherwise, word of mouth is always valuable.

I used to think that hypnosis was a bunch of voodoo nonsense.

So I went to see a hypnotist. After my session, I think hypnosis is a bunch of voodoo nonsense.

I also tried acupuncture, and thought is was legit.

Just my personal thoughts on the matter.

I used to think that hypnosis was a bunch of voodoo nonsense.

So I went to see a hypnotist. After my session, I think hypnosis is a bunch of voodoo nonsense.

I also tried acupuncture, and thought is was legit.

Just my personal thoughts on the matter.

Like you, I used to think hypnosis does not work for real. There was this magician/hypnosis guy on stage one time, and pulled out a bunch of volunteers. I volunteered and nothing happened. I was aware of everything that was happening and he could not make me do anything that he wanted me to do, despite following his commands. He gave up on me. I was bad for his performance.

So, I still believe hypnosis does not work for real.

I used hypnosis in my dental practice. I found hypnosis especially effective with children.

A few years ago, I posted here about having issues with my noisy upstairs neighbors either keeping me awake, or causing me to awaken much earlier than I desired. Living in a condo, I'm unable to make the structural changes that would most likely be required.

A poster suggested that I try hypnosis scripts. I bought mine from https://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/all-scripts (very reasonably priced at about $15).

I downloaded and listened a few times.

I don't know if the script worked or if, somehow, my neighbors aren't quite as noisy...but I rarely have my sleep disturbed by them any more.

omni

How long do these recordings run?

Thanks for the link. Looks like it might be of some value

A few years ago, I posted here about having issues with my noisy upstairs neighbors either keeping me awake, or causing me to awaken much earlier than I desired. Living in a condo, I'm unable to make the structural changes that would most likely be required.

A poster suggested that I try hypnosis scripts. I bought mine from https://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/all-scripts (very reasonably priced at about $15).

I don't know if the script worked or if, somehow, my neighbors aren't quite as noisy...but I rarely have my sleep disturbed by them any more.

omni

omni
I have major sleep issues, mostly waking up through night and not being able to get back to sleep without medication. Really doubt listening to a hypnosis script made a real difference, but there's always the placebo effect that works for some people. I haven't seen much positive feedback on relevant forums. That placebo effect never works for me.

Back
Top Bottom