What does it look like on the other side?

Enjoy your retirement! I was a total planner before I ER'd. Now I do like to plan trips but am finding it very enjoyable to just get up and decide what to do in the moment. I agree with the other posters who suggested letting things come to you. Interestingly, DH & I are serious SCUBA divers who went diving most if not all days we were on tropical vacations. Now we've been in the Virgin Islands for about 6 weeks and have only been on 4 dives. We figured out that committing to a specific day/time to dive was getting in the way of spontaneity, but maybe we've gone too far the other way now. We're officially on "island time!"
[emoji41][emoji905][emoji484]

Many thanks for all the responses and I take the point about too much planning but honestly planning is one of the things I like to do. Particularly when it comes to a lenghthy holiday, I like to have most things mapped out.

You aren't alone in planning the first year. We have two weeks of travel domestically beginning day after retirement (7.28.17 or thereabouts, at ages 57/56). Then two weeks at home before 8 weeks of international travel....

DW still looking to fill a couple months of winter up with warm destinations...

Then, 9 months after last day, we have 2.5 months booked in South Pacific for some serious diving and communing with Humpbacks.

Bottom line, for us, is that we have foregone a lot of travel because of jobs. Time to start trying to balance it out! Unfortunately, we are unlikely to exhaust our wish list by 75, but we'll try.

Retired 6+ years and in our midsixties. I'm not a great planner, I kind of let each day come to me. We've had broad plans to downsize, travel and visit our daughter. Luckily we had a good amount of travel in our working years. Most of all I am thankful for every day...life is going by fast and I've been blessed in many, many ways.

You aren't alone in planning the first year. We have two weeks of travel domestically beginning day after retirement (7.28.17 or thereabouts, at ages 57/56). Then two weeks at home before 8 weeks of international travel....

DW still looking to fill a couple months of winter up with warm destinations...

Then, 9 months after last day, we have 2.5 months booked in South Pacific for some serious diving and communing with Humpbacks.

Bottom line, for us, is that we have foregone a lot of travel because of jobs. Time to start trying to balance it out! Unfortunately, we are unlikely to exhaust our wish list by 75, but we'll try.

Wow - 2.5 months in the South Pacific- where are you going? We love the diving in that part of the world.

Cap_Scarlet

How about first going over to Hallstatt and enjoying the lake or going over to the next valley at Gosau, which I thought was very nice, and first start the decompression.

While I had more on my "to do" list because we relocated after retirement, I didn't try to get too detailed on what and when. I first had to drive over 2100 miles to get from where I retired to our new house-- but, except for weather events, didn't have any restrictive timeframe to get there (although spouse was already there). (We'd been relocated to the location by corporate some years before and had no reason to stay and better places to go to). Too much planning may make the decompression longer -- no relaxation or taking time to start to understand where you want to go to and why.

Back
Top Bottom