One more reason why I like Apple

I am Apple all the way on mobile devices but we have lots of problems with them sharing calendars and such between DW and me. I also find the settings non-intuitive. I am always chasing all over the place trying to fix one thing or another. The latest screwup is my alarms (which I need for meds) keep turning off for no discernible reason. I am not about to switch to Android phones but these things are a PITA.

On the desktop I have been Windows simply because I had them at work. They were unstable for decades but have been steadily progressing. So far, my Win 10 and now 11 PCs have been pretty darn good. I still take my old stuff over to Linux to get a few years out of them. My old desktop is down in the basement running chores remotely that I don't want on my main PC. It has been stable as a rock. Same with an old laptop that has become my grandson's go to machine when he stops over. The problem with Linux is that you still have to learn some intimidating techie junk to do anything complicated.

Switched to Macs over 10 years back but still have an Android phone since I mainly use the phone for calls/texts/maps. Have always had Moto phones which do everything I need and typically cost under $100 through my provider. Prefer the MacBook Air vs the phone for most things internet related.

We had numerous Motos over the years and like them. Great affordable phone. A year ago we splurged and bought Google Pixel 6a at Black Friday sale for $275 or so as I recall. Best phones we have ever had.

We're all google/android here, and almost anything that Apple can do, the same thing happens with android. Whenever someone is like "apple it's so integrated I can just..." I have a very similar thing with android.

My parents were all in Apple, but Dad's macbook screen stopped died at something like 2 months after the warranty, and repeated attempts to get a reasonable repair were waved away... $1800 to fix. So now they are slowly moving away to other products, but I imagine their phones might stay apple.

I'm treating myself to a pixel phone soon.

I am Apple all the way on mobile devices but we have lots of problems with them sharing calendars and such between DW and me. I also find the settings non-intuitive. I am always chasing all over the place trying to fix one thing or another. The latest screwup is my alarms (which I need for meds) keep turning off for no discernible reason. I am not about to switch to Android phones but these things are a PITA.

My brother's household is all Apple and a few years ago they were trying to set up a new device (not sure if it was an iPad or a MacBook) and he and DSIL were having a terrible time integrating it with their other devices. They're pretty good with tech but they were on the phone with the support people and it took a lot of work to get everything straightened out. It kind of scared me away from their laptops and tablets.

I'm also an avid Apple user here. A couple years ago, I decided that I could save some money by reverting back to a Microsoft Windows computer so I bought a new Windows All-in-One from HP when my current iMac was up for replacement. The Windows computer was nice, but the experience just wasn't the same. And I missed having a laptop to take on trips if I wanted to. So I have pushed the All-in-One off to the side of my desk and I invested in a nice MacBook Pro with a nice 27" exterior monitor (Don't tell anyone, but it's a Dell). I'm happy to be back in the Mac world. I doubt I'll venture away again.

I just bought my 85 year old Mom a new Windows All-in-One and set it up this week. It's too late to transition her to a new operating system, so we went Windows 11 to replace her 10 year old computer. I spent half a day removing all the crap that they install on Windows computers and getting it updated with all the latest updates and trying to set up a desktop that is simple for her to use. But it was still confusing for her. She'll get used to the new stuff, but it will also be frustrating to her.

Though we’re an Apple household (evolved between 2011 and 2020), we have iPhones because of our iPads and Mac/Macbook Pro. An iPad received as a retirement gift started our Apple journey, ironically I wouldn’t have bought one myself - but I was wrong. We don’t miss WinPCs at all, but I have no reason to believe an Android with a Samsung smartphone (or other premium brand) isn’t as good or better than an iPhone. And we avoid Google where possible so that’s a strike against Android for us.

Last edited:
We had numerous Motos over the years and like them. Great affordable phone. A year ago we splurged and bought Google Pixel 6a at Black Friday sale for $275 or so as I recall. Best phones we have ever had.
I ordered an iPhone to be able to run some apps not available on Android, not to use as my regular phone. My main phone is still a Moto G Power Android phone, which I'm not changing. And I have no plans to switch to Apple anything else. Windows has always worked well for me. Used Windows 7 for a long time before upgrading to Windows 10 on a 12 year old PC that I built, although I have made some upgrades, the base O/C'ed processor and motherboard are still in place. Rock solid, and I haven't had to do any clean installs of the OS over the years.

Last edited:
Our first Apple product was an Apple IIe in the late 80's or early 90's (?) DH's father paid full price for one when they came out and after a few years he gave it to us. I took to it right away!

As we outgrew that we had a variety of Windows computers. The sons had Blackberry phones. They also had iPods. I had my first iPod Touch (like an iPhone but without cell service, just has wifi.)

In 2014 I bought my first iMac desktop and an iPad mini.

It wasn't until 2018 that DH got an iPhone and then I finally got one in 2021, my first smartphone!

I appreciate how all the Apple stuff shares and coordinates with iCloud. I like that the iPad mini and the phone look and feel very much the same, but the phone leaves the house with me.

In the last year or so I have upgraded to a new iMac and iPad mini. Both upgrades were very easy and seamless.

And then last summer my son gave me his old Apple Watch Series 2 from 2016. It still works! It doesn't have some of the newer faces and functions but it still operates well and coordinates with all my newer Apple products. I have been having so much fun getting to know the Apple Watch world. I've shopped for one of the new versions and decided I will hang on to this old one until it no longer works.

DH still uses a Windows desktop and a couple of Raspberry Pi devices. He also has an iPad.

I'm sticking with my Apple stuff.

Last edited:
We are Apple fans, just no apple watch. I don't wear watches.
2 laptops, 1 iPad, 3 iPhones in the house.

My in-laws visited over the holidays. On Jan 1 my German brother in-law was in his room watching a ski competition that is apparently a new year German tradition. He had an app on his iPhone that accessed his cable TV subscription. Two clicks on his screen and we were able to mirror the signal through our Apple TV 4K to our 50” plasma. He was ecstatic and I was reminded once again at how Apple has such a deep understanding of user interface. They are in a league by themselves.

See what you started now!:LOL:

We are a relatively new Apple household. We were hesitant to make the switch from Android. After receiving input from the fine folks here, we bought iPads. Last fall, DH and I purchased iPhone 15 pro maxes. Couldn’t be happier! When my Dell laptop needs to be replaced, I’ll purchase a Mac.

My in-laws visited over the holidays. On Jan 1 my German brother in-law was in his room watching a ski competition that is apparently a new year German tradition. He had an app on his iPhone that accessed his cable TV subscription. Two clicks on his screen and we were able to mirror the signal through our Apple TV 4K to our 50” plasma. He was ecstatic and I was reminded once again at how Apple has such a deep understanding of user interface. They are in a league by themselves.

This is a very nice feature but it is not an Apple exclusive.

See what you started now!:LOL:

Who would have guessed? :facepalm:

I’m definitely not a fanboy. My laptop is Lenovo, I worked with IBM mainframes and WinTel platforms and think they still have some advantages. I tried a MacBook but never got the hang of it. I read on a Kindle.

So, for browsing, messaging and the like, Apple is my choice, but for word processing, spreadsheets and such, my Windows laptop still reigns supreme.

IMO the main difference for users between iPhones and android phones is that apple has a much tighter control on what apps are available for iPhones. On androids there are many more apps that basically do the same thing so it can be a chore to decide which app to download to do something.
DW has an iPhone SE and I have a Samsung S22. Our computers are all Macs.
BTW one problem with Macs is their native browser Safari doesn't always play nice with webpages that were built with Windows systems. Many times I'm trying to order something and the website just won't work with Safari. So I keep a separate browser just for stuff like that.

Last edited:
My family have saved tens of thousands of dollars avoiding apple. Great products for sure, but they come at a premium. The last android I bought(OnePlus) I compared like for like specs. It was about $500 vs $1200 (I bring my own). I have laptops, desktops and a server. I run software not available on macs. I can remotely control my mom's android phone to help her. Try that on an apple. No brainer for me.

Above all, It's 100x easier to write s/w for 10 devices than an unlimited number of devices.

Finally & leastly - Apple politics.

I’ve had both over the years (Win and Mac). I’ve always been able to do what I wanted on either. Just got DW a new Win laptop. She asked if she could mirror it to the tv like she does her iPhone. Took a couple minutes but I was mirroring just like she wanted.

I have gravitated to the Apple eco system more since retirement and I do like how they sync with each other (for me, my iPad and iPhone) so I’m going to get an iMac when I get a new computer. But, as I installed the new laptop, it synced up with DW’s desktop and they are working well together. I suspect the Win setup could sync as well as the Apple ecosystem if one was inclined.

As for better or worse, I think it’s a toss up. The one thing I take issue with is a comparison with Apple to a standard issue Win machine. Apple is arguably a premium product. You can buy a Win machine that is a premium product, but it’s not the HP/Dell type machine from Best Buy. For example, my desktop was purchased from a PC company that builds their computers with top notch components. Of course, the operating systems can be directly compared (Win vs iOS) but as I said, I’ve not found them to be much different. Both have always been able to do what I’ve asked of them. Though I admit, I’m no power user - email, web surfing, Word and Excel, Turbo Tax, in home networking/file sharing . . .

Last edited:
Above all, It's 100x easier to write s/w for 10 devices than an unlimited number of devices.

It seems like that would be an advantage for Apple because there are fewer Apple models than there are all the different models of devices that run Android and Windows, for example. But your post was anti-Apple.

IMO the main difference for users between iPhones and android phones is that apple has a much tighter control on what apps are available for iPhones. On androids there are many more apps that basically do the same thing so it can be a chore to decide which app to download to do something.

You may call it a "chore" having to decide. Others will call it a wide selection of choices.

Good trick but there appears to be more support for Chromecast, though you either need a Chromecast device or it's sometimes built into many of the modern smart TVs.

But more and more video streaming apps are also available for Apple TV 4K directly as well.

When you travel, you often see hotel TVs with Chromecast support, though I rarely use them, just rather watch videos on iPad or my MacBook Pro with the mini LED display.

Software aside, the quality of Apple hardware is head-and-shoulders above the PC/Android offerings. Of course you do pay for it. Typing this on my Mid-2011 Macbook Air. Looks and works like new.

My family have saved tens of thousands of dollars avoiding apple. Great products for sure, but they come at a premium.

Yeah, when one post mentioned a MacBook Pro I looked it up on the Costco site. Wow. I may consider one for my next replacement but I'm not going to run out and buy one just to have something shiny and new.

I'm hoping the quality is better. Here's my most recent track record with PCs:

2014 Asus. Badly engineered power switch stuck in the little slot if you didn't hold your fingernail in the slot to keep it from staying there. Before I realized that I sent it back and they reset in and erased the MS Office program that had been pre-installed with the computer in the process. When I sked for a new download, response was "We don't sell software". I'd been using it only for travel and the night before a 3-week trip to South America last May it failed- I was in the airport hotel for a flight very early the next morning so didn't have a replacement. From searches on my phone it appeared the display driver needed updating but the computer was so old that it couldn't be installed on that OS version. Recycled it.

HP Envy, purchased late 2019. About 18 months later, it wouldn't charge. Best Buy told me the charging port was bad and it was likely integrated with the motherboard so the guts would all have to be replaced. They wanted $85 just to open it and find out. Took it home, backed up all mission-critical files, replaced and recycled it.

Current Lenovo purchased August, 2022. Touch screen stopped working last month. It may be due to a hairline crack in the screen- not sure how/when that happened. That may actually be cost-effective to repair; I think I'll wait till May when I go on a 3-week trip with only my phone and laptop.

If they all last that long.:rolleyes:

It seems like that would be an advantage for Apple because there are fewer Apple models than there are all the different models of devices that run Android and Windows, for example. But your post was anti-Apple.

You're correct, makes it easier for apple to make a superior and more integrated product.

Yeah, when one post mentioned a MacBook Pro I looked it up on the Costco site. Wow. I may consider one for my next replacement but I'm not going to run out and buy one just to have something shiny and new.

I'm hoping the quality is better. Here's my most recent track record with PCs:

2014 Asus. Badly engineered power switch stuck in the little slot if you didn't hold your fingernail in the slot to keep it from staying there. Before I realized that I sent it back and they reset in and erased the MS Office program that had been pre-installed with the computer in the process. When I sked for a new download, response was "We don't sell software". I'd been using it only for travel and the night before a 3-week trip to South America last May it failed- I was in the airport hotel for a flight very early the next morning so didn't have a replacement. From searches on my phone it appeared the display driver needed updating but the computer was so old that it couldn't be installed on that OS version. Recycled it.

HP Envy, purchased late 2019. About 18 months later, it wouldn't charge. Best Buy told me the charging port was bad and it was likely integrated with the motherboard so the guts would all have to be replaced. They wanted $85 just to open it and find out. Took it home, backed up all mission-critical files, replaced and recycled it.

Current Lenovo purchased August, 2022. Touch screen stopped working last month. It may be due to a hairline crack in the screen- not sure how/when that happened. That may actually be cost-effective to repair; I think I'll wait till May when I go on a 3-week trip with only my phone and laptop.

If they all last that long.:rolleyes:

I've purchased many, many Asus laptops. Luck of the draw like Toyotas, Hondas, ect. I love Asus. I think I remember a Consumer Reports story comparing reliability of apple vs others. All the same, all the components made in the same plants.

Software aside, the quality of Apple hardware is head-and-shoulders above the PC/Android offerings. Of course you do pay for it. Typing this on my Mid-2011 Macbook Air. Looks and works like new.
Apple has their own hardware, and there's a wide variety of Windows based PCs using hardware from different manufacturers and meeting different specs, and you can build your own desktop system with your preferred components as I have done. And my HP Envy laptop (Windows based) from 2012 still runs like new as well as my personally built Windows desktop from 2011. I'm not seeing any huge advantage there overall, but Apple probably has an edge on average when comparing against the lowest cost budget Windows systems.
I've purchased many, many Asus laptops. Luck of the draw like Toyotas, Hondas, ect. I love Asus. I think I remember a Consumer Reports story comparing reliability of apple vs others. All the same, all the components made in the same plants.
My 12+ year old primary desktop system has an ASUS motherboard. So did my previous one before that. Never had any failures. They were rock solid for stability as well.
You're correct, makes it easier for apple to make a superior and more integrated product.
What was confusing is that you seemed to be giving reasons for avoiding Apple, and that comment didn't fit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom