What DVDs have you seen recently?

Looper v. Surrogates

Rented Looper (just released Sci-Fi starring Bruce Willis) the other day, and while we were at the movie store, browsed their cast-offs, and bought a copy of Surrogates (2009 Sci-Fi also starring Bruce Willis). What a difference. :eek:

We thought Looper was so full of plot/story holes it wasn't funny -- just sad. OTOH, Surrogates was very well thought out and written, exploring some very interesting technological possibilities and associated sociological ramifications -- some of which we're actually on the threshhold/verge of.

Tyro

Last of the Dogmen

Saw this on cable recently, and found it very entertaining. If it was other than fiction it would be an anthropologist's delight:

Last of the Dogmen - Rotten Tomatoes

Last edited:
I went backwards last night. Went to IMAX to watch a movie that has been in the DVD dustbin for years, Top Gun. It was in 3D, very nostalgic to go to a theatre to watch a movie you saw in a theatre over 25 years ago. Jurassic Park will be released in IMAX 3D in April. The previews of the 3D I saw last night were very good. The dinosaurs will pop out at you.

I don't watch a lot of movies but I saw "Flight" last night. Pretty good movie, but I may never want to fly again :LOL:....

Just watched "Compliance". Amazingly, it's based on a true story about strip search prank call scams that had gone on for a decade. The part that got me was how easy it was to dupe people.

As a teenager of the 70's, I have loved The Eagles since I first heard them on the radio in my 1968 Fairlane. They literally were the soundtrack of my life, even my recent years. I won't go into all the odd happenings and crossroads, but I have always felt a strange connection with them. I've lost count of how many concerts I've drug DH to....

Anyway, they released their documentary at the Sundance Film Festival this year, and it was on Showtime in 2 parts last weekend.

Showtime : History of the Eagles

I was mesmerized. If you're an Eagles fan, or even liked them a little bit, I highly recommend this. It will be out on DVD in April, and I will be buying it so I can watch it over, and over, and over....

Watching House of Cards on Netflix. Kevin Spacey is great as the unscrupulous
Congressman Frank Underwood. My son, who works on Capitol Hill, stated that each episode gives him PTSD. We will watch the last episode tonight. Said to see the series end. Totally justified my Netflix streaming bill.

Watching House of Cards on Netflix. Kevin Spacey is great as the unscrupulous
Congressman Frank Underwood. My son, who works on Capitol Hill, stated that each episode gives him PTSD. We will watch the last episode tonight. Said to see the series end. Totally justified my Netflix streaming bill.

The original British version is excellent.

I (re)saw "Richard Pryor Live In Concert" (1979). There are clips on YouTube, but too racy to post here. But the show is hilarious!

I had planned to join Netflix and watch at least 1-2 DVDs per week when I retired, but so far I just don't have the time! I haven't managed to squeeze in the time to watch even one DVD in my almost 7 months of retirement. Let me tell you, the retirement lifestyle is hectic. :LOL: :2funny: :ROFLMAO:

Still haven't found the time to watch even one DVD since I retired in 2009! So little time, so much fun to be had.

Pretty poor behavior for a retiree, isn't it. I'd better watch out or I'll be stripped of my Official Retiree Badge, not to mention my handy-dandy FIRE decoder ring... :)

Thoose who liked Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" would probably like "Seven Psychopaths" by Martin McDonagh, the writer of "In Bruges."

Last edited:
This is strange. The CD is not available on Netflix yet.

I think you are correct. I don't think ARGO is available at NetFlix yet. The DW got the ARGO DVD at Walmart. This thread is titled "What DVD's have you seen recently?" You may have missed it, but there's a different thread for NetFlix movies called Netflix movie suggestion in the "Other Topics Section".

Last edited:
Argo is available on Netflix via mailed DVD.

BTW, we watched 39 Steps last night and enjoyed it. It's a BBC produced WW1 spy story with lots of running around and some light humor. Not a serious spy thriller but good for light entertainment.

This is strange. The CD is not available on Netflix yet.

Maybe it was through Comcast pay per view movies--it's available there. Or maybe at a theater (people sonetimes post about movies at the theater in this thread)?

This is getting weirder. I just checked my Netflix queue 2 minutes ago and it says Argo will be available from March 19. I only have mailed DVDs also.

I checked my NetFlix account just to see what it would say about ARGO's availability. My account says ARGO won't be available from NetFlix until 3/19 too... We usually wait until a movie is available from NetFlix but the wife really wanted to see this one sooner (so we bought a copy from WalMart). :blush: After watching it, I would agree that it was pretty good.

This is getting weirder. I just checked my Netflix queue 2 minutes ago and it says Argo will be available from March 19. I only have mailed DVDs also.
Oops, you are right about March 19. For us that will be just fine as the queue is well stacked.

Thoose who liked Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" would probably like "Seven Psychopaths" by Martin McDonagh, the writer of "In Bruges."

That or Burn Before Reading. "7 Psychos" seemed to us like a cross between Tarantino & the Coen Bros.

Tyro

7 Psychos - the room started with 6 people and 2 stayed to finish watching it. It is like someone had a bunch of bad dreams and strung them together. Not good. Saw Flight last night - good drama, sad, DW did an amazing job, as usual.

Wow, this thread is 257 days old. Don't people watch DVDs anymore?

We just resumed checking out DVDs from our local library. They kept sending us email asking us to come back. I guess they need patronage to maintain their funding, although the library seems to have more people there than ever. Might have something to do with unemployment, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, we watched "Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)" and "The Bourne Legacy (2012)". I much prefer the 2nd one. I know one has to allow his imagination to run when watching these thriller action movies, but Mission Impossible asked too much from me. The gadgets, the actions, and the lucky sequences of events are indeed "impossible".

Back
Top Bottom