What DVDs have you seen recently?

Just getting ready to watch the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I am a big fan of the Jeremy Brett version of Holmes and am hoping Robert Downey doesn't blow it too badly.

Saw "Dear John" - a good film of a soldier/girlfriend relationship.

Also saw "180° South" - a great adventure documentary of a journey to Patagonia filled with sailing, surfing and mountain climbing footage.

Just getting ready to watch the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I am a big fan of the Jeremy Brett version of Holmes and am hoping Robert Downey doesn't blow it too badly.

Did you like it? We hated it. Great production values, excellent performances, wonderful visuals - and bored us both to tears. We decided we just didn't care at ALL about the characters or what happened to them. I ended up playing Frontierville (on facebook) for the last half of the movie.

We also saw Pirate Radio - which we LOVED! Plus the music is great.

We hated it. ..[it] bored us both to tears.

+1. I am a big fan of Jeremy Brett's version of Holmes and I was very, very disappointed with this new Sherlock Holmes movie. Same kind of disappointment I felt after watching the1998 "Avengers" movie...

I watched "Mongol" this weekend and while the scenery was incredibly beautiful, I thought the story line was flat.

Did you like it? We hated it. Great production values, excellent performances, wonderful visuals - and bored us both to tears. We decided we just didn't care at ALL about the characters or what happened to them. I ended up playing Frontierville (on facebook) for the last half of the movie.

We also saw Pirate Radio - which we LOVED! Plus the music is great.
Had about the same reaction to Holmes as you did. I tried very hard to like the movie as Sherlock is one of my favorite literary characters. I have Pirate Radio on tap for tonight.

Thought Pirate Radio was very good especially, as was said earlier, the music.

A couple more Netflix on demand movies.

Surrogates - Bruce Willis - not bad. Standard technology is bad sci fi along the lines of Minority Report and many others.

District 9 - I loved it! But I have unorthodox tastes in movies. I almost didn't finish it, it was a slow and annoying start. But it really picked up. I heartily recommend it if you are a fan of the weird and bizarre.

The Bucket List (2007)

8/10 A billionaire (Jack Nicholson) and a regular guy (Morgan Freeman) have 6 months to live, and go through a list of things to do before they die. Not bad.

We watched that Bucket list on a plane ride. It was pretty good. I only have three movies to recommend, because I don't ever get around to borrowing any from the library: Office Space, Idiocracy, and Yellowbeard. Although I did have to watch a film for one of my classes and my boss selected The Sting for me. It was totally awesome!

Spy Game with Brad Pitt and Robert Redford. CIA spy thriller. We liked it.
Hey, I don't even like Redford, but thought this role fitted him well.
Two smilies. :):)

I shudda listened to you guys, but no; I had to see Sherlock Holmes for myself.

I was sick of slo-mo magical fight scenes half way through Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but here we are seven years later and they are still with us.

About the only thing I liked was setting some of the action on a still-under-construction tower bridge.
Two frownies: :(:(

I saw It's Complicated last week for the fourth time in two or three months. Sign of a good movie for me is when you can watch it over and over, and for me this movie is a 10 on that.

Back
Top Bottom