What DVDs have you seen recently?

We watched Million Dollar Baby last night after borrowing it from the library. Good movie, with excellent acting (Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Hilary Swank) but I would not have watched it if I had known how sad a movie it is. It wasn't what I was expecting, and I wasn't prepared for it.

I saw It's Complicated last week for the fourth time in two or three months. Sign of a good movie for me is when you can watch it over and over, and for me this movie is a 10 on that.

I'm glad to hear this; it's on our list to watch. :)

A movie I saw in the theater two years ago that no one has mentioned is The Amazing world of Benjamin Button . It was a great movie .

On Independence Day we usually watch a patriotic movie. Last night it was Patton. Fantastic movie, even if you don't like war movies. He was a true American hero. He had his faults, but he was a warrior pure and simple and when he was given a chance to do what he does best he did some amazing things. Beyond that, he was just a very interesting person. The movie was well made and George C. Scott is amazing.

On Independence Day we usually watch a patriotic movie. Last night it was Patton. Fantastic movie, even if you don't like war movies. He was a true American hero. He had his faults, but he was a warrior pure and simple and when he was given a chance to do what he does best he did some amazing things. Beyond that, he was just a very interesting person. The movie was well made and George C. Scott is amazing.

One of the best war movies ever made and it holds up well to the test of time.

One memory stands out regarding the first time I saw Patton in the early 70's. I was in the military and saw it at a base theater where all movies opened with a projected image of the American flag and members of the audience were expected to stand for the playing of the national anthem. If you remember the movie, the film began with a full-screen American flag. Everyone in the theater stood and waited for the music. Instead, Patton walked on screen and made his famous "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" speech. A great memory for me.

We watched Sideways (2004) again. What a great movie. It was better the second time because I didn't have to worry about how it would turn out.

It's funny that in the movie there's talk of the Thomas Haden Church's character's voice over work, and I recently noticed that he does voice-over for satellite TV in real life.

We watched Million Dollar Baby last night after borrowing it from the library. Good movie, with excellent acting (Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Hilary Swank) but I would not have watched it if I had known how sad a movie it is. It wasn't what I was expecting, and I wasn't prepared for it.

I just read the IMDB summary on it--thanks for the warning. Depressing movies are def not my thing.

(500) Days of Summer
A quirky sort-of love story. It is told in a series of flashbacks that bounce back and forth in time - during that 500 days. Each scene is introduced by its day number. Cute. I like new ways of telling a story.
Liked it, one smiley: :)

Basically though, it made me feel really, really... old.

Idiocracy (2006) (Thanks, Sarah!).

I really liked this, but I'm not going to rate it, because it can be seen on two levels. On one level it's a silly comedy that would appeal to Joe Sixpack. On another level it's a biting commentary on today's society.

Here's a review that has some spoilers concerning the general plot.

The movie starts by comparing two couples -- one smart (IQs around 140) and one dumb (IQs around 80). The smart couple decides to put off having children. The dumb couple forgets to use a condom. Eventually, the dumb couple has over 100 descendants, the smart couple, zero.

The premise of the movie is that this selective breeding continues until in 500 years, everyone is super dumb. The Gatorade conglomerate has purchased the FDA, and everyone drinks Gatorade instead of water. Plants are irrigated with Gatorade so they all die.

A Joe Sixpack from today is transported to this world, in which he is the smartest person in the world. He could solve the problems, but the populace is too dumb to recognize that he's intelligent. When he suggests irrigating with water ("What, you mean from the toilet?") everyone objects ("Because Gatorade has electrolytes").

The parallels to today are striking (kids grow up drinking sweetened drinks, the government's policy is often dictated by corporate interests, the masses are not educated enough to understand nuances of policy or evaluate politicians).

Some good laughs too. Worth watching.

Good review--it is at heart a stupid movie, as you noted, but it's real value, like that of Office Space, is a commentary on where we are headed as a species.
Glad you enjoyed it through the proper filter. :) How about the new improved Starbucks? LOL!

Good review--it is at heart a stupid movie, as you noted, but it's real value, like that of Office Space, is a commentary on where we are headed as a species.
Glad you enjoyed it through the proper filter. :) How about the new improved Starbucks? LOL!

A funny thing about the movie is that it is designed to appeal to the kind of audience it is making fun of.

But it really is a scary movie. The people on Jay Walking are just like the ones in the movie.

One of the gags in the movie is that signs are often misspelled, and that's what I see all the time!

427955080_0f39b2dd8e.jpg

hardhats.jpg

backwards_n.jpg

Far from the Madding Crowd
A grand Hollywood epic, with all that implies both good and bad. Gorgeous production, great score (complete with overture), but long (168 minutes). The plot seemed pedestrian and predictable and suffered from that Victorian misogyny that viewed women as flighty and unpredictable.
Enjoyed it anyway. One smiley: :)

Oh dear, two posts in a row.
Partner wanted to watch My Name is Nobody, possibly one of the weirdest movies I've seen. A spaghetti western starring Henry Fonda. Even the soundtrack is a parody of itself. By the guy who did The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, the soundtrack features Wagner played on kazoos and a chorus augmented with muppet voices.
Two blushes for liking this: :blush::blush:

I haven't watched any DVDs recently but I plan to drive into Pittsburgh tomorrow to see Lo Sono L'amore ( I am love). It has gotten good reviews. Someone mentioned "Young Victoria"...saw it at the movie theater about a year ago and enjoyed it very much.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/I really liked this, but I'm not going to rate it, because it can be seen on two levels. On one level it's a silly comedy that would appeal to Joe Sixpack. On another level it's a biting commentary on today's society.
As a straight comedy it was just so-so, but as political and social satire it is a winner. Probably plays to both of those the best in the speech before the combined houses of Congress by President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Watched Yip Man 2 yesterday. This is a sequel of Yip Man 1 which tells the story of Bruce Lee's kung fu master. It is one of those HK kung fu film and a big hit over in this side of the world. Yip Man 1 is set during the Japanese occupation in China and Yip Man 2 is set during the British colonisation of HK. You'll most probably find it rather racial but shows great kung fu and I just look at it as entertainment and try not be judgemental. I think the next sequel will introduce Bruce Lee in his younger days with his kung fu master.

Not a movie, but watched The Eagles' Farewell Tour I [-]several times[/-] over the weekend on the [-]Booze Cruise[/-] Men's Christian houseboat outing. Muy bien!

Not a movie, but I've been catching up on the AMC series Breaking Bad. It's really excellent, and it's easy to see why Bryan Cranston has won a couple of Emmys for his work on it. Highly recommended.

Not for the faint of heart, though. My wife stopped watching it because it was too intense for her (she doesn't like thrillers or scary movies/shows).

Back
Top Bottom