What he does all day.

I've gone walking with a very cute puppy. Very cute baby beats very cute puppy hands down. No contest. However, the puppy is somewhat less self limiting...

() said:
I've gone walking with a very cute puppy.  Very cute baby beats very cute puppy hands down.  No contest.  However, the puppy is somewhat less self limiting...

Well, you are younger too ... But you are probably right, having a cure baby proves that you can make cute babies. Having a cute dog just proves that you have $600, and reasonable tastes.

ha

HaHa said:
having a cure baby proves that you can make cute babies

Yeah, I get that from Mrs () a lot when I want to take the baby out with me. "Yeah, you just want to show the girls what you can do..."

() said:
Yeah, I get that from Mrs () a lot when I want to take the baby out with me.  "Yeah, you just want to show the girls what you can do..."
Another slightly more subtle point, a cute baby also demonstrates that you can attract a pretty woman, who is willing to take on baby making with you. All in all, a top grade recommendation.

Ha

I hate you, your free time, your trout, your beers.....

*sigh*

pass me one would ya?

Yes, this is hard. Although I must admit it is easier for a woman to say she stays at home, the next question is when are you planning to have a baby, which is a harder question ~ not as to whether I am, but as not to how to answer honestly without offending the person with all the babies!

Another slant on the "what do you do all day?" question:

My husband has a coworker who has had some hard times, and "George" moved to an area where he could afford to buy a little place, but it is basically a trailer park.  Now George is a hard-working guy, responsible and all that.   He's just a nice guy who wants his own place, and this was all he could afford.  Most of the men in his new neighborhood are unemployed, and they basically sit around the house all day, drinking or whatever. 

George has become friends with a young boy in the neighborhood, who doesn't have much to do and just wants someone to talk to.  At one point, the kid asked George, "where do you go all day?"  Having no role models, he just didn't understand the concept of going to work!!   :-\  We still laugh about that, though it really isn't funny, when it comes right down to it. 

CJ

shiny said:
Yes, this is hard.  Although I must admit it is easier for a woman to say she stays at home, the next question is when are you planning to have a baby, which is a harder question ~ not as to whether I am, but as not to how to answer honestly without offending the person with all the babies!

Amen Sista!

shiny said:
Yes, this is hard.  Although I must admit it is easier for a woman to say she stays at home, the next question is when are you planning to have a baby, which is a harder question ~ not as to whether I am, but as not to how to answer honestly without offending the person with all the babies!

Shiny: You might try just being honest, and thus not offending the person with the babies.

As in: "I'm too selfish and self-centered, to accept the responsibility of parenthood".

Seems to work for both of my adult daughters. ;)

Jarhead, who agrees with ReWahoo, that Texas is the best college football team in the country.

I never had even the slightest maternal urge and my answer to the baby question was always, "I'm unable to have children". It immediately squashed any baby talk :)

Q: what do you do all day ?

A: I am an adult film star. I work undercover on contract assignment :D

MasterBlaster said:
Q: what do you do all day ?

A: I am an adult film star. I work undercover on contract assignment :D

Me too! We should form a union: "Brotherhood of the Wag#1001" :D

Outtahere said:
I never had even the slightest maternal urge and my answer to the baby question was always, "I'm unable to have children".   It immediately squashed any baby talk :)

My childfree friends and I are fond of saying, "I can't bear children."

DOG51 said:
As I was having a beer today at the 19th hole, one of my buddies said "ole Dog will be playing golf full time about this time next year." Another friend who I work with said " Dog won't quit next year, he is only 51 and that would be a stupid thing to do." I told him management already knows of my plans and its a done deal. He couldn't believe it. He is also 68 years old with a mortgage and very little savings. But he says he works because he fears boredom.  ::)  He made a good living by btw.

I look forward to ER but I almost dread having to explain why I did it.  :-\

Another night out, another night of having to explain my ER plans. Same guy above asked "Are you really going to retire next year?" Before I could respond his wife asked "why do you want to do nothing?" Of course I should have laughed it off, but I let it get my goat. I told them I do have to justify to them or anyone else why I plan to retire. I was pissed. Put a damper on the whole evening.

I'm gonna have to hang out with friends that can deal with it!

DOG51 said:
Another night out, another night of having to explain my ER plans. Same guy above asked "Are you really going to retire next year?" Before I could respond his wife asked "why do you want to do nothing?" Of course I should have laughed it off, but I let it get my goat. I told them I do have to justify to them or anyone else why I plan to retire. I was pissed. Put a damper on the whole evening.
I'm gonna have to hang out with friends that can deal with it!

You're just a lazy DOGxx! :D

DOG51 said:
Same guy above asked "Are you really going to retire next year?" Before I could respond his wife asked "why do you want to do nothing?"
"Because there's a big beautiful world out there and I have a lot of living to catch up on. 'Nothing' wouldn't exactly be my word for how I'll be spending my time. But I'll send a postcard to the office!"

Nords said:
"Because there's a big beautiful world out there and I have a lot of living to catch up on.  'Nothing' wouldn't exactly be my word for how I'll be spending my time.  But I'll send a postcard to the office!"

Good answer. Now if I can just keep my cool and respond in this manner.  :-\

DOG51 said:
Good answer. Now if I can just keep my cool and respond in this manner.  :-\
I come up with all my best lines in the five minutes after I slam the phone down. That's why I like discussion boards!

Sometimes I respond:

Each day I try to eat drink and make Mary.....Have you met my wife Mary??

(My wife Mary usually just rolls her eyes and smiles)

Sailaway

Sailaway,

We've not heard much from you since you left the w*rking world 6 months ago. Other than "making Mary" :), how's that retirement thing going?

Garbage Handler

The thread on India reminded me of my favorite answer to "What do you do". When travelling India people would constantly approach, trying to strike up personal conversations, usually with the goal of befriending you and steering you towards their friend's gem shop. So their question "what do you do" is really a nice way of asking "are you rich and dumb enough that I should bother trying to scam you".

I started answering that I am a garbage handler. That seemed to be a good way of getting them to move on to the next person.

And I found there was something really freeing about saying I'm a garbage handler. Letting go of the attachment I have to my software engineering job can be freeing. I found I sometimes use that answer even back here in the USA... being a garbage handler has a bit more "street cred" than "nerd" which is basically what software engineer means to many people.

And even better it's true in a metaphoric sense... working in a big corporation I'm endlessly handling bureacratic garbage, customer garbage, political garbage, useless meeting garbage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom