What he does all day.

Re: Garbage Handler

fireme said:
I started answering that I am a garbage handler.
My spouse's specialty is bringing order out of chaos. But I like your description better!

Didn't the Beatles make a song out of that? "Cause I'm the trash man, yeah yeah..."

Nords said:
My spouse's specialty is bringing order out of chaos.

Your wife and I should never meet then. I've been occasionally described as a "human entropy machine". ;)

() said:
Your wife and I should never meet then.  I've been occasionally described as a "human entropy machine". ;)
Not only would you change your ways within two weeks, you'd even find yourself enthusiastically helping.

She's the best investment I ever made.

:LOL:  You guys and gals are funny!

Where have you been all my ER life?  6 years going on 7 and I just now find this forum?

Why work if you don't need the money?........

Boy, that really does not compute for most people I run across.

Oh - I never say that out loud, by the way.  We don't like to make our financial independence obvious.

We actually have a "story" of something remotely productive - since we travel the country and do wildlife photography.  

"Do you sell your pictures?"

"No, we do it just for fun."

Minds get blown.  Seems to only be a small percentage of the population that actually "gets" that idea.

Audrey

Nords said:
Not only would you change your ways within two weeks, you'd even find yourself enthusiastically helping.

I think I just heard a glove hit the ground, muffled somewhat by several thousand miles of the pacific ocean...

My answer:

Every day is different but may involve one or more of the following depending on the time of year:
Riding country roads on my motorcycle
Chairing a meeting of a local economic development agency
Attending a service club meeting
Trying to golf
Hiking with others
Long beach walks when down south
Fixing the dock at our summer place on a lake
People watching on the ocean promenade in Spain while sipping coffee and a Brandy
Managing the private portfolio
Attending my investment club meeting
Morning at the library
Golf lesson
Cutting firewood at the lake
Looking after grandkids
Looking for good junk so my wife can turn a buck on eBay
Planning our next trip with the computer
Etc,etc,etc

NEXT QUESTION PLEASE

Later this morning I am going back to the NASA center where I used to work to attend the retirement luncheon of a woman I worked closely with. I haven't seen any of these folks for nearly two years. I'm sure I will be asked the "so what do you do all day?" question many many times. My plan is to try to come up with a different answer each time I am asked. That way, if my former co-workers compare notes after I leave it will drive 'em nuts. :D

Grumpy

duke6979 said:
My answer:

Every day is different but may involve one or more of the following depending on the time of year:
Riding country roads on my motorcycle
Chairing a meeting of a local economic development agency
Attending a service club meeting
Trying to golf
Hiking with others
Long beach walks when down south
Fixing the dock at our summer place on a lake
People watching on the ocean promenade in Spain while sipping coffee and a Brandy
Managing the private portfolio
Attending my investment club meeting
Morning at the library
Golf lesson
Cutting firewood at the lake
Looking after grandkids
Looking for good junk so my wife can turn a buck on eBay
Planning our next trip with the computer
Etc,etc,etc

NEXT QUESTION PLEASE

Duke 6979: This is your first post, and therefore, I have no idea of your age, etc., etc.
(You might want to give us a little introduction on the Hi: I am thread.

However, I have a question for you. I see you are trying to play golf. How much time are you spending on the Driving Range?

Unless you are willing to spend a minimum of two hours every day at a range, your chances of being able to play golf is slim or none.

Ideally, it should be a lesson, followed up by those two hours a day working on that weeks fundamentals. Keep that up for at least a year, and you should be able to enjoy the game much better for the rest of your life.

Sorry, but golf's not easy! :D

Jarhead

I am 64 and retired at 60.Thanks for the golf tips.Ranges where I live are covered in snow right but when I get to South Carolina in mid Feb I plan to hit the range as you suggest.

Hey Grumpy, this woman's name isn't Gloria, is it? Reason I ask is because we had a retirement luncheon today! Hey, maybe our paths crossed and we didn't even know it! :D

Jarhead* said:
Duke 6979:  This is your first post, and therefore, I have no idea of your age, etc., etc.
(You might want to give us a little introduction on the Hi: I am thread.

However, I have a question for you.  I see you are trying to play golf.  How much time are you spending on the Driving Range?

Unless you are willing to spend a minimum of two hours every day at a range, your chances of being able to play golf is slim or none.

Ideally, it should be a lesson, followed up by those two hours a day working on that weeks fundamentals.  Keep that up for at least a year, and you should be able to enjoy the game much better for the rest of your life.

Sorry, but golf's not easy! :D

Jarhead

Hey Jar, do you go to any of the west coast pga tournaments? I was lucky enough to get in the Masters last year. I would love to go to a tournament at Pebble Beach one year.  :)

Andre1969 said:
Hey Grumpy, this woman's name isn't Gloria, is it? Reason I ask is because we had a retirement luncheon today! Hey, maybe our paths crossed and we didn't even know it! :D

Andre,

Yup, her name is Gloria. Second floor, Bldg. 7? If so, then our paths did cross.

Grumpy

Oh damn, small world!! :D I wasn't really at the party for long, basically just did an eat and run, because I had to sit by my phone to see if our photocopier guy was going to call. And naturally, he didn't.

So, Grumpy, did very many people ask you what you do all day? 8)

DOG51 said:
Hey Jar, do you go to any of the west coast pga tournaments? I was lucky enough to get in the Masters last year. I would love to go to a tournament at Pebble Beach one year.  :)

Hey Dog51: If you've been to the Masters, you can skip all the rest. ;)

Actually, I used to go to a few tournaments, (Riviera, Palm Springs, etc. when I lived in So. Calif.), but I've lived in the Sierras since I retired and although I've been to Pebble Beach a few times for the tournament, (About 4 hours from my place), I'd prefer at my age to spend my time playing golf.

I've personally been involved in athletics my entire life, in one form or the other, and in my opinion, nothing comes close to golf. Reason being, there is not the short shelf life that is there for other sports. If you get a good solid foundation, and work out enough to maintain good flexibility, you can remain competitive long enough to be a pain-in-the-ass to younger players. ;)

I'd also like to add that regardless of what degree your addiction to golf is, it will be very helpful in your transition from working to the retirement mode. (My wife is 100% behind my
affliction). ;)

Keep your left arm straight, right tucked in at impact, and "Grip it and Rip it".

Good Luck, Jarhead

Jarhead* said:
Hey Dog51:  If you've been to the Masters, you can skip all the rest. ;)

Actually, I used to go to a few tournaments, (Riviera, Palm Springs, etc. when I lived in So. Calif.), but I've lived in the Sierras since I retired and although I've been to Pebble Beach a few times for the tournament, (About 4 hours from my place), I'd prefer at my age to spend my time playing golf.

I've personally been involved in athletics my entire life, in one form or the other, and in my opinion, nothing comes close to golf.  Reason being, there is not the short shelf life that is there for other sports.  If you get a good solid foundation, and work out enough to maintain good flexibility, you can remain competitive long enough to be a pain-in-the-ass to younger players. ;)

I'd also like to add that regardless of what degree your addiction to golf is, it will be very helpful in your transition from working to the retirement mode.  (My wife is 100% behind my
affliction). ;)

Keep your left arm straight, right tucked in at impact, and "Grip it and Rip it".

Good Luck, Jarhead

I can assure you I'm addicted. I agree, golf should help keep me occupied when I retire. Gonna try and slip off early tomorrow and get in 9.  8)

Have Funds said:
Or in my case, "Grip it and slice it"...  :p

Simple to correct.  But you'll need to go to a good teaching pro.  He'll have you swinging on the inside instead of "over-the-top". 

Once you have the proper mechanics to allow the proper swing plane, work on that on the range until it is committed to "muscle memory",
and your slice will be history.  (Good Riddence) ;)

When I first started playing golf, (years ago), I had a big slice. I'm 6 foot 6, and by and large, golf is a little tougher to "compact" down for taller players. But when I got serious about correcting it, about a week of working hard at the driving range took care of it.

Long and straight is good, but turning the ball over a little with a slight draw is a good thing to shoot for, and will add distance to your drives.

Jarhead, who has no shame about boring all the non-golfers on this forum 8)

Jarhead* said:
Simple to correct.  But you'll need to go to a good teaching pro.  He'll have you swinging on the inside instead of "over-the-top". 

Once you have the proper mechanics to allow the proper swing plane, work on that on the range until it is committed to "muscle memory",
and your slice will be history.  (Good Riddence) ;)

When I first started playing golf, (years ago), I had a big slice. I'm 6 foot 6, and by and large, golf is a little tougher to "compact" down for taller players.  But when I got serious about correcting it, about a week of working hard at the driving range took care of it.

Long and straight is good, but turning the ball over a little with a slight draw is a good thing to shoot for, and will add distance to your drives.

Jarhead, who has no shame about boring all the non-golfers on this forum 8)

Jar, you ever use any of the golf club training devices? Most are crap but I do use the Momentus club to warm up with. It does a good job of helping me get the feel of how to set the club at the top of my swing. Also helps in just getting the feel of transfering your weight through the swing. We need to open up a permanent golf thread and the fishing guys need a fishing thread.   8)

Andre1969 said:
Oh damn, small world!! :D I wasn't really at the party for long, basically just did an eat and run, because I had to sit by my phone to see if our photocopier guy was going to call. And naturally, he didn't.

So, Grumpy, did very many people ask you what you do all day? 8)

A few people asked and I didn't come up with anything very creative in reply. There were a few folks who are contemplating retiring soon who were more concerned about how DW and I adjusted to spending more time at home together. I told them that we have both developed interests and activities that we participate in without the other. We really don't spend any more time together than we ever did.

Grumpy

gratefuled said:
-Coaxed the Wee One into her bed, and the wife into ours.
-Awoke happy & refreshed.

I love the occasional afternoon nap, it's one of the best benefits of this lifestyle! Here it's almost an institution because we still have siesta :D

Yea, people do wonder. Especially where I come from: Hong Kong, where each
person no matter what age has such a busy schedule.
Someone has once suggested I might be counting my own hair. It's a real humiliation, isn't it?
Now that my husband has stopped working as well, it's even more incomprehensible for them.

Chan said:
Yea, people do wonder. Especially where I come from: Hong Kong, where each
person no matter what age has such a busy schedule.
Someone has once suggested I might be counting my own hair. It's a real humiliation, isn't it?
Now that my husband has stopped working as well, it's even more incomprehensible for them. 

At least that was a witty putdown. Must be hard though.

Ha

DOG51 said:
Good answer. Now if I can just keep my cool and respond in this manner.  :-\

It's just a matter of practise. Practise make perfect.

Back
Top Bottom