Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What he does all day.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Duke 6979:* This is your first post, and therefore, I have no idea of your age, etc., etc.
(You might want to give us a little introduction on the Hi: I am thread.

However, I have a question for you.* I see you are trying to play golf.* How much time are you spending on the Driving Range?

Unless you are willing to spend a minimum of two hours every day at a range, your chances of being able to play golf is slim or none.

Ideally, it should be a lesson, followed up by those two hours a day working on that weeks fundamentals.* Keep that up for at least a year, and you should be able to enjoy the game much better for the rest of your life.

Sorry, but golf's not easy!

Jarhead
Hey Jar, do you go to any of the west coast pga tournaments? I was lucky enough to get in the Masters last year. I would love to go to a tournament at Pebble Beach one year.*

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Hey Grumpy, this woman's name isn't Gloria, is it? Reason I ask is because we had a retirement luncheon today! Hey, maybe our paths crossed and we didn't even know it!
Andre,

Yup, her name is Gloria. Second floor, Bldg. 7? If so, then our paths did cross.

Grumpy

Old 01-31-2006, 02:28 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I think Grumpy *is* Gloria.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #64

Oh damn, small world!! I wasn't really at the party for long, basically just did an eat and run, because I had to sit by my phone to see if our photocopier guy was going to call. And naturally, he didn't.

So, Grumpy, did very many people ask you what you do all day? 8)
Old 01-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Hey Jar, do you go to any of the west coast pga tournaments? I was lucky enough to get in the Masters last year. I would love to go to a tournament at Pebble Beach one year.*
Hey Dog51: If you've been to the Masters, you can skip all the rest.

Actually, I used to go to a few tournaments, (Riviera, Palm Springs, etc. when I lived in So. Calif.), but I've lived in the Sierras since I retired and although I've been to Pebble Beach a few times for the tournament, (About 4 hours from my place), I'd prefer at my age to spend my time playing golf.

I've personally been involved in athletics my entire life, in one form or the other, and in my opinion, nothing comes close to golf. Reason being, there is not the short shelf life that is there for other sports. If you get a good solid foundation, and work out enough to maintain good flexibility, you can remain competitive long enough to be a pain-in-the-ass to younger players.

I'd also like to add that regardless of what degree your addiction to golf is, it will be very helpful in your transition from working to the retirement mode. (My wife is 100% behind my
affliction).

Keep your left arm straight, right tucked in at impact, and "Grip it and Rip it".

Good Luck, Jarhead
Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey Dog51:* If you've been to the Masters, you can skip all the rest.

Actually, I used to go to a few tournaments, (Riviera, Palm Springs, etc. when I lived in So. Calif.), but I've lived in the Sierras since I retired and although I've been to Pebble Beach a few times for the tournament, (About 4 hours from my place), I'd prefer at my age to spend my time playing golf.

I've personally been involved in athletics my entire life, in one form or the other, and in my opinion, nothing comes close to golf.* Reason being, there is not the short shelf life that is there for other sports.* If you get a good solid foundation, and work out enough to maintain good flexibility, you can remain competitive long enough to be a pain-in-the-ass to younger players.

I'd also like to add that regardless of what degree your addiction to golf is, it will be very helpful in your transition from working to the retirement mode.* (My wife is 100% behind my
affliction).

Keep your left arm straight, right tucked in at impact, and "Grip it and Rip it".

Good Luck, Jarhead
I can assure you I'm addicted. I agree, golf should help keep me occupied when I retire. Gonna try and slip off early tomorrow and get in 9.* 8)
Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Or in my case, "Grip it and slice it"... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Or in my case, "Grip it and slice it"...* :P
Simple to correct.* But you'll need to go to a good teaching pro.* He'll have you swinging on the inside instead of "over-the-top".*

Once you have the proper mechanics to allow the proper swing plane, work on that on the range until it is committed to "muscle memory",
and your slice will be history.* (Good Riddence)

When I first started playing golf, (years ago), I had a big slice. I'm 6 foot 6, and by and large, golf is a little tougher to "compact" down for taller players. But when I got serious about correcting it, about a week of working hard at the driving range took care of it.

Long and straight is good, but turning the ball over a little with a slight draw is a good thing to shoot for, and will add distance to your drives.

Jarhead, who has no shame about boring all the non-golfers on this forum 8)
Old 02-01-2006, 08:25 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Simple to correct.* But you'll need to go to a good teaching pro.* He'll have you swinging on the inside instead of "over-the-top".*

Once you have the proper mechanics to allow the proper swing plane, work on that on the range until it is committed to "muscle memory",
and your slice will be history.* (Good Riddence)

When I first started playing golf, (years ago), I had a big slice. I'm 6 foot 6, and by and large, golf is a little tougher to "compact" down for taller players.* But when I got serious about correcting it, about a week of working hard at the driving range took care of it.

Long and straight is good, but turning the ball over a little with a slight draw is a good thing to shoot for, and will add distance to your drives.

Jarhead, who has no shame about boring all the non-golfers on this forum 8)
Jar, you ever use any of the golf club training devices? Most are crap but I do use the Momentus club to warm up with. It does a good job of helping me get the feel of how to set the club at the top of my swing. Also helps in just getting the feel of transfering your weight through the swing. We need to open up a permanent golf thread and the fishing guys need a fishing thread.* *8)
Old 02-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Oh damn, small world!! I wasn't really at the party for long, basically just did an eat and run, because I had to sit by my phone to see if our photocopier guy was going to call. And naturally, he didn't.

So, Grumpy, did very many people ask you what you do all day? 8)
A few people asked and I didn't come up with anything very creative in reply. There were a few folks who are contemplating retiring soon who were more concerned about how DW and I adjusted to spending more time at home together. I told them that we have both developed interests and activities that we participate in without the other. We really don't spend any more time together than we ever did.

Grumpy
Old 02-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuled

-Coaxed the Wee One into her bed, and the wife into ours.
-Awoke happy & refreshed.
I love the occasional afternoon nap, it's one of the best benefits of this lifestyle! Here it's almost an institution because we still have siesta
Old 02-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #72
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yea, people do wonder. Especially where I come from: Hong Kong, where each
person no matter what age has such a busy schedule.
Someone has once suggested I might be counting my own hair. It's a real humiliation, isn't it?
Now that my husband has stopped working as well, it's even more incomprehensible for them.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan
Yea, people do wonder. Especially where I come from: Hong Kong, where each
person no matter what age has such a busy schedule.
Someone has once suggested I might be counting my own hair. It's a real humiliation, isn't it?
Now that my husband has stopped working as well, it's even more incomprehensible for them.*
At least that was a witty putdown. Must be hard though.

Ha
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #74
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Good answer. Now if I can just keep my cool and respond in this manner.*
It's just a matter of practise. Practise make perfect.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

perfect practice makes perfect.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #76

Saw this in morning paper. A snippet: QUOTE

A little retirement is a dangerous thing.

I hadn't planned on retiring early, but last June I had a small bout of cerebral hemorrhage. Just a little one. After a week in the trauma unit and a week of feeling feeble at home, I sneaked back to work.

I was a little shaky for a week or so, but all those hours of lying in bed had energized me to the wonderful things I could do with my job. I had such plans, so many worthy projects scribbled on legal pads while resting amid all those tubes at the hospital.

What I hadn't counted on was the perspective. Once back at my desk, facing the inane paperwork and the silly office politics, I found I had less skill in suffering fools.

So it was one more silly e-mail, yet another yawn-stifling meeting and a final bit of organizational myopia that made my decision. This just didn't seem worth it. Maybe after almost 30 years of trying, I had come to realize that I wasn't going to bring light to the eyes of the dim-sighted or rescue those determined to drown in their sea of indecision.

My original plan included a desire to continue to use my years of experience to consult and develop another line of work that had interested me for a while. I mean, after all, a man can't just sit around and enjoy his leisure, can't just wake to a slow breakfast and the paper day after day, can't just read and write whatever strikes his fancy. Can he?

Evidently, he can.

Thus it is that on an April morning -- maybe the last cool, clear day of the year -- I found myself listening to our mockingbird from our patio table. We're pretty sure it's the same guy who has been here for the past three years.
UNQUOTE
The boy needs to join this forum.* He'd fit right in....

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

No kidding!

Quote:
A couple of days before, while reading the paper over some Earl Grey and eggs at that same table, my wife and I grabbed the binoculars. For the next 10 minutes, we scanned the tops of oaks, both live and red, of mulberries and pistache. Eventually we found the target.

The song was varied, but it lacked the musicality of our mockingbird. We found the large brown bird with spotted chest twittering in the top of the neighbor's pecan. Out came the Texas bird books, and then we enjoyed the triumphant glow of success at finding and identifying a brown thrasher, a new visitor to our yards.

Which is more inane -- the joy of identifying a new bird or the production of another binder full of paperwork?
I had to retire just so that I could spend a lot more time birdwatching!

Quote:
I pull intellectual and spiritual sustenance from quiet contemplation. I get fulfillment from a self-derived course of reading and study.

What time do we have? What is the best use of it? I'm working on it.
It's deja vu all over again!

Audrey
Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
The boy needs to join this forum.* He'd fit right in....
Good idea. I sent him an e-mail.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Good idea.* I sent him an e-mail.
me too - LOL!

Audrey
Old 04-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #80

While out going to yard sales yesterday with my dad we ran across a man that was selling all his machine tools. Said he just retired, had had enough of the bull, my dad told him he was retired too and the first question out of the guys mouth was. Wadda do all day? My dads answer -- what ever I damned well please after I'm done doing what my wife wants done. I just stood there and laughed at both of them and then told the guy about this forum.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote