what stores do/did you work at parttime after ER?

Allegedly three of the best places to work are REI, Costco and Trader Joes. All also offer pretty good benefits although I think none of them kick in unless you're full time or almost full time.

I can verify that Costco's benefits kick in at part time (24+ hours/week) after you have been there for 6 months.

Is this a trick question? :bat: ... (to the OP's original).

I'm retired. I do not work (yes, I do volunteer but that's my decision on when I want to do it, and no, I get no "money" - other than the knowledge of my actions "make a difference".)

If I would work (any number of hours) regardless of my "status", I may be "under-employed" or "part time employed" but I'm still (in some manner employed, and probably getting a W2) and therefore not retired.

Got it? :cool: ...

- Ron

Last edited:
Is this a trick question? :bat: ... (to the OP's original).

I'm retired. I do not work (yes, I do volunteer but that's my decision on when I want to do it, and no, I get no "money" - other than the knowledge of my actions "make a difference".)

If I would work (any number of hours) regardless of my "status", I may be "under-employed" or "part time employed" but I'm still (in some manner employed, and probably getting a W2) and therefore not retired.

Got it? :cool: ...

- Ron

Maybe. Maybe some people, once retired, begin an activity completely unrelated to their pre-retirement working life. And maybe they enjoy this activity so much that they'd do it for free, but they happen to get paid for it. Are they now not retired? I dunno.

I think it must depend on how one defines retirement.

If you get a job at an insurance carrier and then buy an annuity, the commission is paid into your account. You generally get a discount on LTC and life insurance as well. Be sure to pick a good carrier.

All those pesky insurers keep trying to get me on their payrolls, of course they have NO PLANS to offer benefits such as you are describing..........:D

Maybe. Maybe some people, once retired, begin an activity completely unrelated to their pre-retirement working life. And maybe they enjoy this activity so much that they'd do it for free, but they happen to get paid for it. Are they now not retired? I dunno.

I think it must depend on how one defines retirement.

After retirement, I initially avoided anything that even looked like work, paid or not.

This is slowly changing to the point where I actually have attended a few fundraisers and low key events.

Will I get involved with something to the point where I have a schedule or get paid?

Anything is possible.

I'll take a stab at defining it. You're retired if you dont have any place you're required to go to on any particular interval to perform actual work.

So that pretty much cuts out any sort of job but not charity work.

My part time job is helping the in laws. They buy lunch. I get to do manual labor. Then we play a game every once in awhile. Good pay good beni's ;) That and I love to hear my FIL stories about WW2.

All those pesky insurers keep trying to get me on their payrolls, of course they have NO PLANS to offer benefits such as you are describing..........:D

They're trying to give you commissions. It's free money, man... you just help people get things they need anyway and the insurer just gives you money for being a good FA!

I'm sure if you called up the carrier and told them you didn't want the commission they'd be willing to work something out.

Worked for an "national tax prep" company for five years following retirement for something to do in the dog days of winter but found a local CPA firm that treats me much better so work Feb 1 to April 17 doing income tax returns.

RE2Boys

I haven't really worked since retirement, but one of my main pre-career jobs was selling shoes at a price point shoe chain named Baker's. Once I had a taste of working in an air conditioned store with no dirt and a generally clean and well behaved clientele I was hooked.

It was fun but pretty hard work, both physically running back and forth with umpteen billion pairs of heels, and emotionally getting those gals to haul out their cash. No sell, no earn. But fortunately women love shoes so it was never too hard. Even sold quite a few matching purses.

I did get a discount, which I passed on to girlfriends provided they bought from me so I would get the commission. :)

Bakers Shoes - Fashion Shoes for Women - Sandals, Boots, Dress Shoes, Pumps, Platforms, Flats, Handbags, Accessories

Ha

It was fun but pretty hard work, both physically running back and forth with umpteen billion pairs of heels, and emotionally getting those gals to haul out their cash. No sell, no earn. But fortunately women love shoes so it was never too hard. Even sold quite a few matching purses.

So, I've heard all sorts of stories about lady exhibitionists and shoe stores. Any truth to the rumors? :eek:

So, I've heard all sorts of stories about lady exhibitionists and shoe stores. Any truth to the rumors? :eek:

Yes, sometimes. When they think they have you in a subordinate position some women really like to crank up the tease. For me I just wanted the money, so crank it up Honey, as long as you buy the shoes, and the purse, and maybe some special cremes to care for them. Mostly these were young working class girls and they were fun. Bridal groups were fun too.

Ha

ejman -what cute kids! why are the prices so different? desireable genetic lines or colors or...?

If you work part-time after you retire, are you still retired? Isn't retirement work some kind of oxymoron or something?

To my mind the distinction, and it is a crucial one, is that working is now and will be forever, optional. I'm working at a job now because I want to, not because I have to. If they give me any crap I'll give 'em a finger wave and be gone - I think that's what used to be called an "attitude problem".:)

I have a grueling 3.4 mile commute, work 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM, the pay is absurd ($2/hour less than before I retired) for doing virtually nothing, little responsibility, and if things blow up it's not my fault.

Among other things, with the "extra" money this month I'm going to buy a large package of filet mignon steaks and cook them on the grill on the back porch overlooking the creek.

I've worked retail before, and don't like "the public" enough to deal with it, especially for $8/hr.... I lost a few bucks compared to my former yob, but the hours, conditions, and commute are better. And I still make double or more what I could get in retail. I'd rather build the pile, then FIRE outright. I ain't gonna study [-]war[/-] work no more...

ejman -what cute kids! why are the prices so different? desireable genetic lines or colors or...?
Thank you. Yes our kids are wonderful! You are correct on the reasons for the price differences. Bloodlines, coloring are very important, Also, a proven doe who is a good milker will be more expensive. At the other end of the price spectrum are wethers (neutered males).

I'm curious--what do the "national tax prep" companies pay? (per hour?, per completed return?)

Today on the radio I heard an advertisement by one of these companies that is about to start their annual tax prep training classes for next tax season. I assume they don't pay anything for that (or maybe the student pays?), but rather use it as a way to find qualified employees.

And, I hesitate to ask, but if you know what you are doing, how stressful is the working environment?

edit: after posting, I researched these issues a bit using Google. Lots of pro/con information out there. I'd still be interested in learning the perspectives of the ER/FIRE people here.

I worked in a store for a short period back in my early 20's while attending school at night. It was a store like a western auto.

Someone mentioned a book store. IMHO - We can get that fringe benefit by just visiting our local library. No offense intended.

A retail store would be my last choice for employment.

IMHO - Retail work usually does not pay much and provides more aggravation than the the money earned would provide satisfaction. You are likely to have a moron for a boss (that could be demanding) and regular customers that are @ssh0les. Spend any time working retail and you will no doubt agree.

One other consideration... and I mean no offense. But if you are fairly smart and looking for intellectual social interaction from a job... It is unlikely that one would fill the void at a WalMart.

The only possible area of retail sales that might offer some interest would be if the product line were associated with some personal interest or hobby. For example. I play guitar. But there is no way I would work at guitar center to listen to a bunch of adolescents turn the amp up full blast and butcher a "G Chord" for hours on end.

My father worked at IKEA in his semi retirement, mainly because they offered health benefits. He also liked the department he worked in (kitchen renovations) and the discounts he got.

What discount could one expect working for Home Depot? If a person was building a new home, or extensively remodeling, could the discount be more significant than the hourly rate?

Someone mentioned a book store. IMHO - We can get that fringe benefit by just visiting our local library. No offense intended.

A retail store would be my last choice for employment.

IMHO - Retail work usually does not pay much and provides more aggravation than the the money earned would provide satisfaction. You are likely to have a moron for a boss (that could be demanding) and regular customers that are @ssh0les. Spend any time working retail and you will no doubt agree.

I live in an county with low taxes (for MD, anyway). So the library gets a few books/month, and only occasionally one that I'm interested in. I'm a voracious reader, and even when I lived in the major metropolitan city the library system couldn't keep up. Having free-ish access to all the new releases as soon as they come out would be wonderful. As I said, the pay would be a secondary consideration.

Having said that, I worked retail as a kid, and hated it. I'm hoping that between being FI as well as older, wiser(?), and a lot more patient I will not take things as personally and obnoxiously as I did when I was a kid who was smarter than everyone else and knew I should be running the world. But we'll see. Also, I'm planning on coming and going as I desire, a few months here, a few there. It might not work for them, and if not, oh well. I'll just hang out in the store and read the books anyway :D

I live in an county with low taxes (for MD, anyway). So the library gets a few books/month, and only occasionally one that I'm interested in.

Our Library, allows users to order any book, cd, video, etc (from any library branch or the main library) online. They deliver it to your local branch library where it can be picked up. Usually takes a few days for it to arrive that the branch library. No cost... except taxes of course.

Back
Top Bottom