What We're Making

Set up a wood shop in the main level of the barn. Some Craigslist wood shop floor tools that I never had room for at the primary residence. A $25 table saw.

Most of us woodworkers would die for a barn workshop. Can only imagine what kind of table saw you got for $25, you'll likely want to upgrade if it becomes a serious hobby.

I’m trying to improve my cookie decorating beyond what my mom taught me (slap some white icing on and sprinkle with sugar).

IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0475.JPG

Finished another round of hiking sticks. I find straight sections of downed tree limbs, bring them home and make the sticks. These are oak - with paracord handles. Gave these to some friends.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 7.21.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 7.21.29 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
I love your sticks, Ron. I watched your videos trying to figure out how you do that cool wrap for the handholds, but couldn't see it. How do you get such an excellent look on those?

I love your sticks, Ron. I watched your videos trying to figure out how you do that cool wrap for the handholds, but couldn't see it. How do you get such an excellent look on those?

Thanks Harley! I did the wraps per this cub scout webpage. Hope this helps. I'll try to do a close up video of the wrap when I build the next one.

https://cubscoutideas.com/2666/handmade-hiking-sticks/

Great. Now I just spent the last 2 hours wandering through the world of paracord wraps. And so goes another Friday night.

But thanks. I'll start with the Cub Scout wrap and see where I go from there.

Yep, paracord shopping is not easy. I bought some from paracord planet on Amazon. Later found local Menard's to have it cheaper - just not as many varieties. I suspect Home Depot has some similar to Menard's.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 10.53.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 10.53.51 AM.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 38
DW has started, (even joined an online Sourdough club), baking Sourdough loaves.....tried various recipes....and this is the best (so far):

upload png images

gif upload

Tastes good!

Nemo, The bread looks great. Did she make a starter or buy one? There's nothing like fresh bread.

Nemo, The bread looks great. Did she make a starter or buy one? There's nothing like fresh bread.

She makes the starter, feeds it regularly, (tried a couple starter recipes, might stick with the current one......then again....).

Bakes it in a Lodge 5 qt cast iron pot.

Last edited:
Nemo, Please tell her it looks great. I have a wild yeast starter that I made about 10 years ago. I think the pamphlet/book I read was called "Trapping the Wild Yeast". I was shocked that I had a starter going in about a week but took months to develop a decent flavor. Doesn't compare to California sourdoughs but it's tasty. I use it for pancakes too. I make free form loaves and bake on a baking stone.

Nemo, Please tell her it looks great. I have a wild yeast starter that I made about 10 years ago. I think the pamphlet/book I read was called "Trapping the Wild Yeast". I was shocked that I had a starter going in about a week but took months to develop a decent flavor. Doesn't compare to California sourdoughs but it's tasty. I use it for pancakes too. I make free form loaves and bake on a baking stone.

Thank you!

We have a stone that we use for pizza, would the bread be as crusty (I'm sure she'll try it out, but just asking) as it is in the pot?

You have to use a pan with water on the floor of the oven to create steam to get it crusty. I don't have a large cast iron pan which seems like it would be easier than using the stone and water pan method.

You have to use a pan with water on the floor of the oven to create steam to get it crusty. I don't have a large cast iron pan which seems like it would be easier than using the stone and water pan method.

She's tried misting the loaves with water spray, but has found the cast iron pot to be preferable for her.

She's tried misting the loaves with water spray, but has found the cast iron pot to be preferable for her.

I agree. Cast iron holds the heat steadier, and the lid on it keeps the steam in (which is what really does the trick).

Another popular method is to bake it on a stone with a SS bowl over it, like this:
bowl.jpg
Vollrath 4-quart stainless bowl

Whipped up a simple shelf to make my computer situation better. The shelf elevates the desktop screen above the laptop screen when open, and the shelf hides a lot of wires.

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 55
  • shelf2.jpg
    shelf2.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 57
MIL likes this photo that I took in Sedona, so I framed it for her. Made the frame from leftover mahogany.

Attachments

• photo frame.jpg
    photo frame.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 57
Nice, Ron, :cool: but that lower left mitre joint looks a bit off? Or is it the photo?

It's mostly the photo. The face of the lower section of the frame is narrower than you think.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 298
Great. Now I just spent the last 2 hours wandering through the world of paracord wraps. And so goes another Friday night.

But thanks. I'll start with the Cub Scout wrap and see where I go from there.
Just two hours? Pah! Here is the mother lode: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

... and if you still have spare time after Stormdrane, here is the bible of the knot tying hobby: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashley_Book_of_Knots -- 3854 knots. A bowline, for example, is referenced as ABOK #1010.

Nice, Ron, :cool: but that lower left mitre joint looks a bit off? Or is it the photo?

It's mostly the photo. The face of the lower section of the frame is narrower than you think.

Yes, judging based on the work Ronstar has posted previously, I don't think he could make a bad miter joint if he tried! ;) I could give lessons (on bad miter joints, that is), if desired. :(

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom