What We're Making

I was notified that another carving has sold, so I finally felt like doing another carving and got it finished a week ago. I sometimes hate to see them sell because I never get to see them again. Lol This guy has only one eye.

Attachments

• IMG_2566 (3).jpg
    IMG_2566 (3).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2545 (3).jpg
    IMG_2545 (3).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I was notified that another carving has sold, so I finally felt like doing another carving and got it finished a week ago. I sometimes hate to see them sell because I never get to see them again. Lol This guy has only one eye.

Awesome work! Your pieces remind me of the stone work that a stone artist shows at the Arizona Fine Art Expo every winter.

https://arizonafineartexpo.com/roger-wermers

Thanks Ron, for sharing that website, I book marked it. That's interesting work he does and thanks.

More woodworking projects getting done. Guest bedroom headboard and powder room photo frame.

DW is getting new bedding for the bedroom and I'm going to get started on a nightstand and dresser.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.44.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.44.54 PM.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.44.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.44.36 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.44.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.44.16 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
More woodworking projects getting done. Guest bedroom headboard and powder room photo frame.

DW is getting new bedding for the bedroom and I'm going to get started on a nightstand and dresser.

Nicely done!

Ronstar >>> That is beautiful work!

Nice! Excellent video.

My walking stick....made from a branch of a live Yaupon tree, bout 1" diameter by 47" long, bark still left on it, a bit of a curve to it, a 3/4" rubber cane tip, a rubber grip made from tool box drawer liner held on by electrical tape and staples.

About a year old now.

You can easily see my woodworking skills here. I am a much better mechanic than a wood guy.:LOL:

stick2.jpg

Last edited:
My walking stick....made from a branch of a live Yaupon tree, bout 1" diameter by 47" long, bark still left on it, a bit of a curve to it, a 3/4" rubber cane tip, a rubber grip made from tool box drawer liner held on by electrical tape and staples.

About a year old now.

You can easily see my woodworking skills here. I am a much better mechanic than a wood guy.:LOL:

View attachment 32092

That's a good looking walking stick! Nice and straight. I'm having a hard time finding straight sticks.

Nice!!! How about a shillelagh for your next project.

Great idea! I have a thicker piece laying out in the woods that I thought about making a hiking stick out of. But it would take a lot of drawknife work to get it down to hiking stick size. So I left it on the burn pile. But it would be perfect for a shillelagh. The ball on the end should work nicely. I'll give it a try.

Thanks! Yaupon tree shoots are easy to find straight and best cut alive., especially in uncontrolled, wooded areas. This part of Texas is full of that stuff. They shape nicely for decorative trees too, but are slow growers.

Texas A&M Forest Service - Trees of Texas - List of Trees

I've never heard of Yaupon trees. They look perfect for walking sticks. A neighborhood friend has been collecting shoots for years. I think they are willow. But he has yet to make a walking stick. Probably has 50 shoots. And he and his DW are moving - just sold their house. They are going nuts getting rid of stuff. I may have to take his shoot collection off his hands.

I'd like to get shoots more exotic than willow though. I stopped at a Texas hardwood sawmill on the way home from Arizona - they had nothing to make sticks out of. So I've been making them out whatever I find in the yard or out on hikes. I made one out a nice piece of juniper(I think) that I found in Sedona, Az. The ones I find in our Illinois yard are oak and redbud.

Now for amateur hour.

DW [-]commanded[/-] requested a bench for between the two planters I made for the back patio. I didn't quibble since ([-]i'm not suicidal[/-]) it used up the grey paint and some old 2x6s that I had lying about.

Attachments

• IMG_20190908_152605z.jpg
    IMG_20190908_152605z.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Bought a second home in July. A 120 year old farm on lake actually. Set up a wood shop in the main level of the barn. Some Craigslist wood shop floor tools that I never had room for at the primary residence. A $25 table saw. Stripped barn partition boards from the basement level of the barn, pressure washed them and dried them in the sun. Here, a shared nightstand table that fits between two twin beds in one of the bedrooms. Probably can't see in the pic, but some boards have tiny "worm hole" bores in them.

Attachments

• nightstand.jpg
    nightstand.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 48
Bought a second home in July. A 120 year old farm on lake actually. Set up a wood shop in the main level of the barn. Some Craigslist wood shop floor tools that I never had room for at the primary residence. A $25 table saw. Stripped barn partition boards from the basement level of the barn, pressure washed them and dried them in the sun. Here, a shared nightstand table that fits between two twin beds in one of the bedrooms. Probably can't see in the pic, but some boards have tiny "worm hole" bores in them.

What a beautiful bench. I love anything made out of old barn wood.

I've been on a crochet binge making animals and dolls. A couple bears who are a couple (they look retired to me). Same pattern but different hook sizes, attire and facial features.

Attachments

• 20190307_092156.jpg
    20190307_092156.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom