Votes: 2 1.7%

Votes: 11 9.2%

Votes: 11 9.2%

Votes: 23 19.3%

Votes: 14 11.8%

Votes: 17 14.3%

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters
I retired in 1984. Looking back, the key thing is to have the wind at your back. I would be broke 10 times over if I had done the same thing, but in 2000 or 2007. :blush:

Ha

July 1 2001 - Before and for a while after felt like I was creeping out on to a swinging tightrope over Niagra Falls...it was exhilarating when I first knew that it was going to work, that I didn't need big momma corporation to take care of me.... should have cut the cord earlier.

I'm unable to compose a response that will pass the scrutiny of the moderation team.
Then send me a PM and explain yourself.

Seriously, a lot of folks talk about the market vs. the year you retire. My contention is that just because you retire and the market happens to go down, it does not mean a failure of your entire plan for the next 30 years....

Looking at the poll - - - it looks like the peak retirement year was 2007. 2007? My gosh, what's wrong with you guys? Didn't you know the market was about to crash? :ROFLMAO::greetings10::LOL:

I'm one of the 2007 votes. I RE at the end of Sept. 2007. For about a month or so things were looking rosy, then after that, not so much. ;) It was quite a ride!

Funny thing is that prior to ER I used to worry and fret about the impact of a big unexpected expense like a house repair. I like to think that now I will put it into a better perspective if I get hit with a big repair bill or other large unexpected expense. Hopefully it will pale in comparison to what happened to my portfolio in 2008 and early 2009.

I'm one of the 2007 votes. I RE at the end of Sept. 2007. For about a month or so things were looking rosy, then after that, not so much. ;) It was quite a ride!

Funny thing is that prior to ER I used to worry and fret about the impact of a big unexpected expense like a house repair. I like to think that now I will put it into a better perspective if I get hit with a big repair bill or other large unexpected expense. Hopefully it will pale in comparison to what happened to my portfolio in 2008 and early 2009.

I didn't retire until last November, because I wasn't eligible until then. Even so the 2008-2009 market crash scared me to death. Afterwards, the crash left me feeling like a scarred war veteran as far as investing goes (I imagine myself recounting war stories to youngsters: "Lemme tell you 'bout the market war of '08-'09, sonny boy..." :2funny:).

I can hardly imagine what new retirees were going through at the time, what their thoughts and fears were while watching the events of 2008-2009. :eek:

Of course it's a small sample. But it's interesting that the numbers for 2009 and 2010 are about the same, and we are only 1/3 of the way through 2010. I expect that some people who were planning to ER in 2008 delayed it and that there will be a rebound.

I'm not there yet, but the crash has caused me to delay my planned ER date by two years.

I could have ER'ed in 2007 (delayed taking the pension and have an SWR of 4.5% for the first 9 years - FIRECalc was good for that) but instead I [-]chickened out and[/-] decided I needed the extra security of retiree health insurance for which I had to wait until 2010.

In my case, "Fortune favors the timid" as I would not have liked to have RE'ed immediately before the market crash.

Looking at the poll - - - it looks like the peak retirement year was 2007. 2007? My gosh, what's wrong with you guys? Didn't you know the market was about to crash? :ROFLMAO::greetings10::LOL:

I fail to see the humor in this post !

I fail to see the humor in this post !

Hmm. Don't know what to say in response to your complaint. You can always report posts that you find objectionable to the entire Moderation Team, using the white and red "!" icon at the lower left of each post.

Another 2007 alum here. Survived the crash with the help of some good med's and now within shouting distance of being even again. So some bumping roads along the way, but no complaints at the moment.;)

I had to say, say hon, when did I retire? She said: I think 2006. So I had to look it up. may 25 2006. Seem CRS has set in. I've gotten very comfortably in this retirement thing. Thankfully.:D

Hmm. Don't know what to say in response to your complaint.

How about I'm sorry for making light of a situation that was so devastaing to a lot of our retirees ? This was as devasting to a lot of us as Katrina was to you .

I can't speak for the others like me who retired in the years immediately leading up to the 2007 crash, but I see the humor in W2R's post and see no reason for anyone to have an issue with it. Heck, I wish I'd been witty enough to post it!

Official day of retirement: 31 Dec 2004.

decided I needed the extra security of retiree health insurance for which I had to wait until 2010.

I think you were pretty darn smart to wait for the retiree health insurance.

I think you were pretty darn smart to wait for the retiree health insurance.

It seems smart now, but at the time I was having a torrid time at work and was ready to jump ship. I was lucky enough to apply for and get a position at another site (in another State) and switch careers from IT back to I&E Engineering and see out my last 2 years in the execution of some big projects that avoided being cancelled.

I love being able to say I retired in the last century! LOL!

Audrey (class of 1999)
Same here class of 1999, technically I was on a 1 year leave of absence, but never went back in 2000. I retired in the previous millennium, no mere last century for me. :)
Well, now we know who we are. Technically I also did not retire in '99, I just quit - but since I never went back and later deemed myself "retired", '99 is the year for me.

Vintage 1999 – an excellent selection. Ready to drink now, will improve with aging, pairs well with any dish, and like all superior wines, available in limited quantities.

June 2, 2006 for me. Exactly 35 years after I graduated from high school.

ER'd in 2008. Back to work part-time in 2010. May be fully ER'd again next year or may just continue being Semi-ER'd.

My official ER date was 4/7/2007. I quit working about 3 1/2 months earlier, but forgot to stay home! :LOL:

One day one of my co-workers said everyone was surprised that I was still showing up, and that they all figured I wouldn't even be there the last few weeks before my ER date. So I thought about that for a minute, and thanked him for the insight. I immediately walked into the boss's office, tossed my keys on his desk, told him "I'm outta here!", and walked out the door for the last time!!! :cool:

June 2, 2006 for me. Exactly 35 years after I graduated from high school.
I graduated HS on June 6, 1975, started with the municipality on June 9, 1975, and stayed there 'til ER'd at 50!!!

Life is Great!!!

Back
Top Bottom