What's with the moving to Florida thing??

As others have said, to each their own. I don't do humid well, at all, so never plan to live in a humid location. Tried the midwest a couple times - beautiful country - but did not enjoy the humidity or shoveling snow. I "feel the seasons" by what I wear when golfing year round. We are all very lucky that there are choices and mostly we get to choose where we live.

Very excited to be leaving for Florida at the end of the week. Will be spending some time in New Smyrna Beach and relaxing. Will take some time like we do each visit to explore the area and meet with some real estate folks. Unless things change, our plan is to move there in the next five years or so. Can't wait, save some room for the wife and I!

Had the same reaction. No chains on our cars in the 70s. The VW Bug tho, did have oversized snowtires on the back. Had to put a bit of weight in the bonnet. That little beastie cut thro the snow like a hot knife in butter.

I think that's the key to the "good old days"...snow tires. Also, cars didn't have those wide, low profile tires like they do today, so traction was often better, despite not having ABS, traction control, and all that other stuff. The all-season radials they sell nowadays simply aren't as good, in my opinion, as a dedicated snow tire. One thing I don't miss, though, is that annual ritual of putting the snow tires on the car at the start of snow season, and then taking them off in the spring...and then hoping you don't get another last-minute snow storm!

And, I've heard that VW Bugs were some of the best cars in the snow back in the day, thanks to having most of the weight over the drive wheels. In my younger days, I had a 1980 Chevy Malibu, and then a 1969 Dart and a 1968 Dart, that I used snow tires on. One day in 1995 though, during a time when I was pretty broke, that '68 Dart needed new rear tires. But, to save a little money, I put the snow tires on...nevermind the fact that it was summer! They still had good tread. Unfortunately, they were also old and dry-rotted. I don't know how old they were, but when Mom gave me the Malibu in 1987, she gave me the snow tires, too, and they probably had a few years on them at that point. I had a blow out at around 50 mph.

And, that was the last time I owned a snow tire. Since then, I've just used all season radials. The part of Maryland I live in really doesn't get that much snow, and I usually get along just fine with them.

Lisle Il, to Leesburg Fl (Lake Griffin)... 6 months each from 1990 to 2012.

Most folks don't know about the 30,000 lakes in Florida. It's not all coastline.

Before you get caught up in the ocean beaches thing, take time to look over central Florida. And while traffic is growing, not like on the coastline. We never had a problem with traffic in Leesburg. Our over 55 park had access to 200 plus miles of shoreline on the interconnected lakes and we took advantage of the boating from our marina. Could go all the way to Jacksonville, but never did.

Note where "The Villages" is on the map. We used that once in a while, for entertainment, but our park was so busy with parties and dancing, that it wasn't often. Average of once a week convoys' to Daytona... 1 1/2 hr.

Attachments

• Lakes.jpg
    Lakes.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 51
^^^^^ This is true you only miss the beach when you are used to having access to it so easily. Then all of a sudden you realize it is not there and easy to get to if it is not. Trouble is we have lived by the beach since 1991 (different States and countries), so we miss it whenever we leave it for a while.

I understand escaping the cold in winter, but the heat in summer somewhat negates it for me. Also, other than the coast, I found Fl to be even more flat and unappealing than the midwest. It's all personal preference. Since we had options, we chose Hawaii. It's never truly cold (at least near sea level) and rarely truly hot/humid. Some call it boring, weather wise. I call it Paradise. Additionally, it has mountains and ocean. It's not perfect and it IS expensive compared to FL. YMMV

Florida is hot and filled with older people but they are happy fun people doing happy fun things . Where else but Florida do you run into 80 year olds in tennis outfits and they look pretty good ?

That's a disturbing visual !! LOL

Of course, not everyone in Fl are happy, fun people. There is also a healthy amount of "Get Off My Lawn!" people around.
: )

I never appreciate Florida until I visit other areas . When I first moved to Florida and went to Publix I thought I died and went to heaven . Not only do they bag your groceries but they offer to walk you to the car and load the groceries .Florida is hot and filled with older people but they are happy fun people doing happy fun things . Where else but Florida do you run into 80 year olds in tennis outfits and they look pretty good ?

A friend once opined that having her father winter in Florida added 5 years to his life. Between being able--almost peer pressure--to go out with his friends all winter long, out to dinner, golf etc. it kept him active more than he ever would staying up north all winter long, plunked in front of a TV.

Spending our winters in a larger city like Fort Lauderdale however, we find a lot more young people, families and and people living/working here than the stereotypical view of FL being just for old people.

And it seems that Miami today bans anyone over 50 from entering their fair city!

And yes, while we go to Winn Dixie, the Publix (some have valet parking...it's safer that way if you know what I mean) is a hoot!!

BIL and SIL moved to Ft.Myers area 15 years ago after selling their beautiful home from western Ohio. They have been trying to "recruit" us to join them. For the last 3 years, they have been returning to Ohio to escape heat during summer months.

BIL and SIL moved to Ft.Myers area 15 years ago after selling their beautiful home from western Ohio. They have been trying to "recruit" us to join them. For the last 3 years, they have been returning to Ohio to escape heat during summer months.
I think most posters here agree that FL is a good place to spend winters but not summers. Sort of like winter up north but in reverse

Thinking seriously about Florida. I do heat and humidity better than cold and dry. I like the subtropical vegetation and wildlife. The abundance. It would be fun to have a year-round garden. We have to see about the insect life! I'm supposed to go for a couple of long summertime visits to see if I can hack it during the tough seasons.

I'm supposed to go for a couple of long summertime visits to see if I can hack it during the tough seasons.

That is what we did, it was not as bad as folks implied. But choose your location carefully. I was more concerned about the traffic and wait times for everything rather than the heat and humidity. turns out most places south of Palm Beach and Sarasota are saturated. Central Florida did not even come close for us. we like to be near uncrowded beaches. We much more subscribe to hot and humid and sunny as opposed to snow, cold and bleak any day, there is no contest. We do not even leave for the summers anymore. That is the best time here, not so many snowbirds. The problem is they are coming and staying now and not leaving.....:facepalm:

My left neighbors snowbirded here for years now they live here full time, they are from CT. right Neighbors are from Delaware, now live here full time too.

Last edited:
I'm actually not a beach person, but I'd like to have beaches within a 45 minute or so drive. I love Corkscrew swamp and Fakahatchee Strand State Park. Are there places to live inland that offer that kind of access?

I'm actually not a beach person, but I'd like to have beaches within a 45 minute or so drive. I love Corkscrew swamp and Fakahatchee Strand State Park. Are there places to live inland that offer that kind of access?

Just my personal experience but in many areas in Florida as you move further inland (Orlando excepted) the demographics change. Less affluent retirees and a lot more sketchy people. You can almost plot it on a curve; distance from beaches vs income level.

Just a few miles inland from Fort Lauderdale, there are the requisite check cashing stores, pawn shops and such catering to those just trying to keep body and soul together. Not very appealing IMO.

Just my personal experience but in many areas in Florida as you move further inland (Orlando excepted) the demographics change. Less affluent retirees and a lot more sketchy people. You can almost plot it on a curve; distance from beaches vs income level.

Just a few miles inland from Fort Lauderdale, there are the requisite check cashing stores, pawn shops and such catering to those just trying to keep body and soul together. Not very appealing IMO.

Yes and no.
My development and many others around it are solidly middle class and a little above here and there. We are 50 minutes from the beaches.
The Villages is another example.
In West Pasco, there are Meth houses just 5 minutes from the beach going for under 100k.

I'm heading the FL the minute I retire! I live right outside of DC, so high cost of living, horrible traffic, high taxes, and about 100 other negatives are pushing me out.

I'm open to other low\no tax states, but so far I don't see anything worth pursuing. Family is all on the east coast, so heading to the central states isn't really desirable either.

I'm heading the FL the minute I retire! I live right outside of DC, so high cost of living, horrible traffic, high taxes, and about 100 other negatives are pushing me out.

I'm open to other low\no tax states, but so far I don't see anything worth pursuing. Family is all on the east coast, so heading to the central states isn't really desirable either.

Florida has a lot of positives. With that said moving is tough. If you do it, you will discover all of the positives that your previous location had within a year.

I've been in SW FL now for over 9 years. In central IL for 20 years before that and 11 years in MN before that. No place is perfect, but I'm much happier here. To me the light off-season traffic more than makes up for the summer heat. I actually wish it was a little warmer in the winters. I'll consider moving back to the Midwest when I'm too old to go outside any more. And if they lower their taxes. :)

After following this thread, I had to weigh in.
Gov. Andrew “Son of Mario” Cuomo, when asked why so many people were fleeing NYS a coupla years ago, said it was because of the weather.

Nonsense.

DW and I lived in western NY for our entire working careers. And loved it there. Sure, parts of every winter sucked, but we traded those few weeks for glorious summers, autumns and even the occasional cooperative Spring. But the weather never has been the real reason we’re all fleeing.

It’s the State of New York itself, the oppressive tax burden it lays on every property owner, and the little anyone sees in return except for ever-encroaching state control of all that matters.

I ER’d class of 2001 - now 18 years in & never looked back.

We stayed in NY after retiring solely due to caregiving responsibilities. When those ended, we joined the caravan to FL. But we left for (almost) purely financial reasons, as we gave up decades of friendships & contacts in an incredibly beautiful corner of the U.S. We loved it in WNY. And would still be there if it made sense.

Now two full years into being legal FL residents, we have seen an effective 36% increase in spendable income directly attributable to lower property taxes, no FL income tax (thanks, tourists & snowbirds), lower utility costs, comparable costs of living, & changes in our own spending habits. YMMV, but we’re shocked by the changes in cash flow & the need to look to our portfolio for support.

We’re not humping for the Sunshine State Chamber of Commerce. Florida in the summer is as hot/humid as WNY was cold/snowy. Both are barely tolerable, but ya can always put more clothes ON; at some point propriety stops the shedding of clothes.

It’s the taxes, Andy. It always has been. And all that the Peoples’ Republic of Noo Yawk has become. And any other try at explaining the continuing NY-FL exodus is simply wrong.

Y’all come down, ya heah? But this thread is “interesting”...

I grew up in Wisconsin so I know what cold is. My wife grew up in Malaysia so she knows what hot and humid is. After marriage, we have lived in Texas, Colorado, Illinois, South Caroline, southern Argentina, and Gabon (west Africa). When it came time to retire in 2011, my wife needed to be back in a warmer climate so we moved from South Carolina to the Tampa area. Now we spend winters in Malaysian and Thailand for 5 months and we are even happier with the weather there. We are super snowbirds where even Florida is too cold in the winter.

Most don't survive

It seems the knee-jerk plan for retirees is to move to Fla.
Why?
Sure it is warmer, no snow, etc. but, what's so scary about cold weather?
Throw a sweater on. Hire someone else to do your driveway.

I've lived in Fla a bit and a lot of folks hide indoors in AC.
I don't get the attraction. It must be me.

As a long time resident of Florida I have found that most who move down from the North do not survive. The first day the temperature reaches 95 and the humidity is 95 and it stays that way from May to September - usually will take the new visitors by surprise. Then add to that the first hurricane and they are moving back up North.

As a long time resident of Florida I have found that most who move down from the North do not survive. The first day the temperature reaches 95 and the humidity is 95 and it stays that way from May to September - usually will take the new visitors by surprise. Then add to that the first hurricane and they are moving back up North.

While I appreciate the anecdotal observation, I highly doubt this is demonstrably true.

Last edited:
Southern Arizona for 8 months of the year and south shore of Lake Superior for the other 4 months. I am sure you can guess where we are and when. Suffice it to say, life is good!

Back
Top Bottom