What's your favorite thing about not having to go to w*rk???

Sleeping late.
No rush hour.
Pajama days.
The ability to schedule as many/little hours as I want.
Working on projects.
Going on lunch dates.

I really wonder how I worked the M-F 9-5 for so many years!

No more red Swingline stapler borrowing and TPS reports due. :LOL:

As one who is still unhappily working, this is one of the most uplifting and simultaneously depressing threads. It's good to see what I am looking forward to and sad to see what I am currently missing.
Counting the months 'til it's my turn.......

A local TV weatherman just said,

"Now I don't want to scare you, but some of you may have a tough time on your way in to work tomorrow because of the (fog? winds?). I didn't hear the end of his sentence, but it really doesn't matter.
I'll be sound asleep...
Zzzz.gif

That's a biggy in my book as well.

Besides getting the sleep I need (#1), not having the incompetent asses in management having control over any part of my life.

Besides getting the sleep I need (#1), not having the incompetent asses in management having control over any part of my life.

Yes! You put it so well :) I had a LOT of them in megacorp...seems like it was a required class they had to take in business management!

What a neat thread.....I, like so many on here, enjoy the leisure mornings, get up when you want to, put the coffee on, let the dog out, fire up the pc by that time coffee is ready, surf my favorite morning sites.

1. Not having to go to meetings. Particularly those where you have to brainstorm "visions" and "process improvement."

(A couple of volunteer organizations that I've worked with have "offered" me the "opportunity" to attend their weekly staff meetings. I have always refused.)
2. Being able to sleep late and take a nap when I want to.
3. Not feeling like my workouts have to be rushed because I have to get to/back to work.
4. Being able to travel (personal travel) mid-week instead of weekends.
5. Ditto for shopping.

Sleeping late.
No rush hour.
Pajama days.
The ability to schedule as many/little hours as I want.
Working on projects.
Going on lunch dates.

I really wonder how I worked the M-F 9-5 for so many years!

Right ON!

Not having to be there every morning at 8:20.

Not having endless stupid pieces of paperwork that have to be compiled that no one ever looks at after you do it.

Not having to talk to people for a living and help them and NEVER ever having any of them say "Thank you".

Not being included in the office staff Christmas Gifts---ever.

Not being told that you can't eat your sardines or tuna in the faculty lunchroom because one person out of twenty doesn't care for the smell of tuna.

Not having to prepare the State tests, and other stupid consequences of legislature management of public education---people who wouldn't understand the process of education if it fell on them.

Endless yucky thankless tasks.

On and on and on........

At home: not having to get up in a cold, chilly morning.

At the office: not sitting in a conference call wondering "why the heck was i asked to attend this?"

We lived there 6 years, both kids born there, and had a great 7 months this year in a rented house a short walk away from the house we used to live in. Here is a photo I took in March this year from a hill overlooking the town. I used to work just over the hill in the center of the photo towards the sea.

Is that the North Sea beyond the hills?

Howdy,

Not having to deal with Stupid, incompetent management who think they know everything.

Oh, and relocating to Myrtle Beach from Boston and not dealing with snow.

see ya,

W

Not being told what to do or given frivolous projects by people I don't respect. Not having to worry about career and reward games or office politics. Can enjoy the holidays without worrying about some dopey project or crisis back at the office. Not having to ask permission to take a little extra time off to spend with family and friends.

As a class of 2012er (Feb 24th, to be exact) I really love this thread. It resonates all that Im looking forward to and hope to find. Im retiring at 50, and my 11 year old son NEEDS to go fishing with me in the fishing boat that has been in my garage for the last three years, yes three years without use because I never took the time out of my 50-70 hour work weeks to spend with him.......

IFinally I decided that there's something about corporate America that attracts, or even manufactures, @ssholes. It's a shame, because I never minded the work.

One of the most insightful comments I have ever seen.

Finally I decided that there's something about corporate America that attracts, or even manufactures, @ssholes.

Ah yes, the Peter Principle! Two of my favorite things about not having to go to work are: 1) No longer having to deal with bosses who rose to that position via the PP, and; 2) No longer worrying if that's how I got there myself!:ROFLMAO:

What I would like about retirement...Being able to join my already retired friends and doing neat stuff because I still have to go to work! You are an outcast because work holds you back...yes...I am still working...

Last edited:
Redbugdave said:
What I would like about retirement...Being able to join my already retired friends and doing neat stuff because I still have to go to work! You are an outcast because work holds you back...yes...I am still working...

I have been retired for close to 2 years and enjoy it, however I am in the exact opposite position. My 2 best friends are about 3 years younger than me, but at least 15 years away from retirement despite being in same career. Plus, they both didnt bother to have kids until this past year. I will be 65 before they can go golfing again with me before making sure the kids dont need their attention. GF is probably 20 years away and she is only 4 years younger than me. Good thing I like my alone time.

I have been retired for close to 2 years and enjoy it, however I am in the exact opposite position. My 2 best friends are about 3 years younger than me, but at least 15 years away from retirement despite being in same career. Plus, they both didnt bother to have kids until this past year. I will be 65 before they can go golfing again with me before making sure the kids dont need their attention. GF is probably 20 years away and she is only 4 years younger than me. Good thing I like my alone time.
Sounds like a situation where it's worth expanding your circle of friends...

I surf at least twice a week with guys (and gals) whose last names I've never learned. It's been this way for almost a decade.

Nords said:
Sounds like a situation where it's worth expanding your circle of friends...

I surf at least twice a week with guys (and gals) whose last names I've never learned. It's been this way for almost a decade.

I have a few other casual friends, nearby. We are talking about all joining a golf club and playing together. Good guys, funny but they are 15 years older, they are retired and have the time. Nords, your comment about your surfing buddies made me laugh. One of my friends I was referring to before he married a few years ago was dating a lady who had 2 kids. I asked him what were the names of the kids she had. He said " I dont know". Dated her for 6 months and never did no their names!

No longer: large building with concrete floors and much light and noise and people and smells.

I have only been retired a few months but the list keeps growing:

1) The commute
2) emails that were forwarded to my home email from the office
3) Office lighting & lack of windows
4) Having to deal with the owner's ego.
5) Not enough time to get my personal things done
6) Constant changing priorities on my projects
7) Not always being able to do my personal business during the day

Good things:
1) having a great co worker that shared my office.
2) having a wonderful COO. (He left just a month after I did)
3) being allowed to work from home
4) not really being pushed too hard for deadlines
5) Being the only part time employee and not having to put up with the nonsense
required of the full time staff.

Back
Top Bottom