Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nearly through my 12th year of ER, and every day is still great -- just like the first day was.

I still have the same mindset I did in the beginning. Get up when I want, enjoy a pot of coffee while reading the papers, then usually go for a run. Get back home, shower, another cup of coffee and fix breakfast. By this time, it's mid-morning, I feel great, and it's time to think about what I want to do today.

I've never had the slightest thought about this not being the right thing to do.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! Thanks for the encouragement! Great stories, and I can see myself in all of them, even the fretters . Today was just another perfect day. No hurries, no worries, just doing whatever I want to do, or whatever DW wants, not necessarily in that order

Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Get up when I want, enjoy a pot of coffee while reading the papers, then usually go for a run. Get back home, shower, another cup of coffee and fix breakfast. By this time, it's mid-morning, I feel great, and it's time to think about what I want to do today.
Isn't it great?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #24

7 1/2 years and so far so good!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I'm 6 years in. Life is good! I can't imagine wanting to go back to work. I don't have the time now anyway.
+1. I am 3 1/2 years in, and life is great here too. No way would I consider going back to work unless I absolutely had to for some reason (and I cannot foresee that ever happening at this point). For the first year or so of retirement, I missed some of the people I used to work with, but not most of the work. And even that has passed now. The freedom to direct your own activities and schedule your own time is priceless.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

This is the only part that has me a little nervous. I have everything planned out week by week what I will be doing and where I will be through the end of the year (work scheduling) and after that there is just a big blank. No clue what I will do or how I will spend my time, and that is a bit unnerving.

Then I show up for another pointless day in my cube and long for that blank spot...
Why not schedule a few big personal projects or some travel sprinkled across the first few months of your big blank spot. Fill it in a little, don't go crazy.

In my case, I scheduled a 2 month Europe backpacking trip and a holiday with family. I also scheduled a few nights out with old friends. It gave me something to look forward to and plan for.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Then I show up for another pointless day in my cube and long for that blank spot...
I know that feeling.

I have about another 18 months to go (give or take) and I detest going into my little prison cell every day, and working on a computer all day. My head is no longer in the game, and I just don't care about the work anymore.

But...golden pair of handcuffs and all that. I literally can't afford to leave before I'm fully vested.

I'm 100% positive FIRE would never get old or hard for me. If I'm going to be bored, I'd much rather be bored doing nothing, than bored doing 40 hours of work a week I find meaningless.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Wow! Thanks for the encouragement! Great stories, and I can see myself in all of them, even the fretters . Today was just another perfect day. No hurries, no worries, just doing whatever I want to do, or whatever DW wants, not necessarily in that order
This may be unique to me, but man, during the past 3 years of ER, my "work ethic" skills have deteriorated badly. Now, don't get me wrong, I love retirement, but I am amazed out how much less I get done in a day, than what I could accomplish when I was working. Just yesterday, I had a few minor chores to do yesterday that took about an hour and had to do a mad scramble to accomplish the tasks before sundown. The day before, I played a round of golf with a friend. He wanted to meet at 9 at the course. I told him I wouldn't go unless he waited until 10 because I don't like to rush. I imagine it will just get worse. 10 years ago, I would have teed it up a 7 a.m.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #29

Even though not retired, (yet), most of my life I have made lists. I make a list of what I want to do each day...at work and at home. That helps keep me focused. However, when I do retire...there's no way in hell I will ever be on any kind of a schedule. I am so sick of having to be somewhere all the time and having that rushed feeling. For me life will flow...
Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

When does ER get hard? I don't know because it hasn't gotten hard yet for me...going on four years. I have gone through some hard events since ER...my mother's illness and death, but ER was a blessing. I would never have been able to spend the time with her that I spent in her final months had I still been working.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #31

Hasn't happened yet. Have been ER'd for 13 mo., and just wish I could have done this 5 yrs. earlier. Yes, every day feels like Saturday.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #32

Been ERd for a little less than a year. So far, the first month was the hardest. I treated it like a long vacation instead of retirement. Each month, it's been a little better than the previous month.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
Why not schedule a few big personal projects or some travel sprinkled across the first few months of your big blank spot. Fill it in a little, don't go crazy.

In my case, I scheduled a 2 month Europe backpacking trip and a holiday with family. I also scheduled a few nights out with old friends. It gave me something to look forward to and plan for.
Yeah, we have a 3 to 4 week cross country trip in mind for next July to visit my family and so that I can hopefully relive some of my childhood memories (blueberry picking, catching catfish after dark in the pond, pickerel fishing in Pine Barrens lakes, tubing on Cedar Creek, crabbing in Barnegat Bay, etc.). I also plan to basically camp out in deer season and not come back until I have a load of venison, rather than sneak a day here, a day there. But other than that stuff, I cannot see the day to day yet. Guess I will figure it out when I get there.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #34

Have ER for around 3 years. Don't find anything hard at all in ER. Sure, there are some slow days but there are many more interesting days. I use those slow days to count the many blessings of ER. I don't really keep a list of things to do anymore because there's so many things I still want to learn. Oh, I just started piano classes last week!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #35

Well into our 4th year of ER and have found nothing hard about it so far. We remember talking 6 months after the last of our children left home and decided that the continued feeling of freedom was wonderful and nothing to feel guilty about. Same thing with ER, at first we expected the novelty to wear off but instead it just seems to get better and better.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #36

When?

The OP asks as if 'hard' is inevitable.

No, it's not! If you are comfortable with your decision to retire early and you have developed interests and curiosity it should never get hard.

Personally, I continue to perfect my goofing off technique. I think it will be many more years before I have it down pat.

-- Rita
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This may be unique to me, but man, during the past 3 years of ER, my "work ethic" skills have deteriorated badly. Now, don't get me wrong, I love retirement, but I am amazed out how much less I get done in a day, than what I could accomplish when I was working. Just yesterday, I had a few minor chores to do yesterday that took about an hour and had to do a mad scramble to accomplish the tasks before sundown. The day before, I played a round of golf with a friend. He wanted to meet at 9 at the course. I told him I wouldn't go unless he waited until 10 because I don't like to rush. I imagine it will just get worse. 10 years ago, I would have teed it up a 7 a.m.
What's that saying - "If you want to get something done, ask a busy person"?

I have experienced the exact same thing as you Mulligan. I am less productive now than when working, yet just as content. Luckily, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It doesn't sound as if you are at all perturbed either!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #38

And here I thought the hard part of ER was getting there...

Seems if it that hard you can always go back to w*rk (NOT ME! )
Old 07-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Before I retired, I was a little scared. After all, I wasn't "retiring TO something" and I hadn't read any of the scads of books about the psychological adjustment to retirement.
Like Brewer12345, this is the part that has me a bit scared, as well. Up until this past week at work, my plan was to retire anywhere between 2016 and 2020, (age 46 to 50), depending on the economy, my own financial situation, how well-balanced the BS buckets are, etc. Well, last week, let's just say the kitty litter hit the fan.

I got so fed up that I almost turned in my badges and walked out. Several times. Ended up taking off Friday to cool off. It didn't work. I'm supposed to meet with my immediate supervisor, who's as useless as teets on a boar, and another manager who feels my pain and is rooting for me. But right now I'm so fed up that I'm thinking of taking Monday off as well. I don't even want to look at that building, let alone go in it. So I might just tell them let's meet for lunch nearby, or something.

So in my case, obviously, I'm running away from something, rather than to something. Firecalc says I have about a 95% chance of making it. I'm scared of the potential change, but at the same time, giddy about the possibilities.

This is probably an obscure reference, but I feel kinda like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode, just before he broke his glasses. There's "Time Enough At Last!!"
Old 07-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This sounds very familiar to me. I am long retired while my GF works. I can't see that either of us is more happy; we just have different challenges and rewards.

But one thing for sure, she can finish in 4 hours what I will still be getting ready to start!

Ha