Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Suburb of Pittsburgh, PA-born in a former steel mill town and raised in bungalow Dad built after WWII
New York, NY (Manhattan)--for college and first job
Hampton, VA--tagging after Army spouse
Queens, NY and Nassau County, LI (Syosset)--again for spouse
Columbus, OH--spouse in fellowship training
Monterey, CA--spouse in Army; he was deployed during Desert Storm to Saudi Arabia while I was forced to endure the hardships of Pebble Beach as best I could
Suburbs of Pittsburgh, PA---now living on opposite side of the 'Burgh from where I was born and raised

My favorite place hands-down was Monterey, CA, but where I live now is pretty nice, too. However, something to recommend each place, and there are things I miss about all of them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #42
Administrator

Where have I lived - - a lot of places, mostly in the southern and western U.S., but I have lived in Louisiana the longest (16 years).

Why I chose where I live to retire or still mulling - - I moved here for the job and within a year or two, decided to never move again. I have moved SO many times and want to stay someplace long enough to feel like I am from there, a sense of home.

After Hurricane Katrina I had to live here in the devastation because of golden handcuffs (and really, I was one of the lucky ones because I still had a home and job). We planned to move away as soon as we could retire, in 2009 for me and early 2010 for him. But by now, there has either been progress in our recovery (finally), or else we are getting used to it. Hopefully the former is the case. In 2011 we put a hold on our plans to move for another five years or so, and then will think about it again and make a more final decision.

If we leave, we would probably go to Springfield, Missouri. We would want a town with population between 50-150K, and with low crime, very very low housing prices, low cost of living, far from hurricane prone areas, a little remote, decent medical facilities, a quiet Mayberry RFD type atmosphere, and of the towns like that, the ones that are the furthest South. Springfield was the best fit of several that met that description that we visited.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #43

Have lived:
SC
TX
MN
CA *2
PA *3

Currently living: Cooksburg, PA

Reason: God, Guns and Groundhogs
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Toronto
Erie, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Chicago
New York City

Now that I am recently retired I am also considering a move. NYC is fun and my friends are here, but it is so expensive and taxes are high so it is probably not a long term solution. Among the places I am considering for a longer term retirement lifestyle are Austin, TX; Miami; Las Vegas. Seattle has been a consideration since I would prefer a place without extreme temperatures, but the comments about the rainy/misty weather have me reconsidering. I have only spent an extended period of time in Seattle and BC during the Aug-Sept timeframe and it was sunny.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I would love to live in San Francisco or L.A. for a few years but the high cost, taxes and traffic would get me down.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #46

Grew up in Chicago(land).
Schooling in Grand Rapids MI; Champaign-Urbana IL; and Madison WI.
Taught for a year in Athens OH.
Moved to St. Paul MN 24 years ago for my job and will no doubt retire here.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Washington, D.C.
Carlisle,PA
SD
NM
TX (Corpus Christi, Dallas, Houston)
LA (New Orleans)
Saudi Arabia (Dhahran)
LA
Houston (Part-time)

Similar to W2R, I got transfered to New Orleans. DW loved it, I loathed it. Then we got transfered to Saudi. When it came time to repatriate, was offered several locations, but DW voted for New Orleans. This time, I loved it.After Katrina devastated the area, I think it made us realize how unique and precious the area is, and how much we would miss it if we left.

We always planned on retiring back east, but when I retired (the first time), we just couldn't get ourselves to move up there. The light bulb finally came on for me (DW was already there, of course, and letting me catch up at my own speed) so we put other property on the market.

Bottom line - no family here, just good friends, a unique culture and there are very few places where I can grow such a wide range of fruits and plants, from apples to Satsuma oranges. Life is good.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse and I have been talking over our military transfers.

Spouse:
Growing up in "Central" Maryland followed by Annapolis.
Rota, Spain (Navy weather center back in 1983).
Lajes, Azores (another weather center).

Me:
Growing up around the Pittsburgh PA area at three different addresses.
Annapolis.
Orlando (Nuclear Power School back in 1982).
Ballston Spa, NY for shore-based nuclear reactor qualification.
New London, CT for submarine school.
Charleston, SC for offcrews on my first submarine.
Holy Loch, Scotland for submarine patrols.

Together:
Monterey. If only the place was 20-30 degrees warmer.
Hawaii.
San Diego.

Plus portcalls all over Spain & Portugal, England/Scotland, Canada (both coasts), Japan, Guam, Korea, the Philippines, and Thailand.

Hawaii no ka oi...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #49

We lived in NJ before moving here to Denver.

We loved NJ and the proximity to NYC - the melting pot of cultures and races, the amazing ethnic foods, the museums, music (even street musician are amazing since the competition is so fierce there), plays etc.

Unfortunately, it is also very expensive, hard to get around and not good if you like to do a lot of hiking.

We chose Denver because it is a very accessible city, is environmentally and culturally progressive, has greater access to the outdoors and is sunny! It is also a lot more affordable than NJ. The people are laid back and quite friendly, though most are transplants like us. We plan to stay.

If you haven't been to Denver in the past 10 years, it is worth checking out. It grew a lot in the 2000s and isn't the cow-town it once was. On the other hand, it is no NYC.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Holy Loch, Scotland for submarine patrols.

Hey, I protested there in the late 70s with a group of Japanese Buddhist monks.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #51

Mid-Michigan - I lived there until I finished college
Boston - '82 - '90
Portland, OR - from '90 on

I love Portland but I think I will become a rain bird. The rain doesn't bother me when I have to go to work, but I think it will get old real fast in retirement (class of 2013!).

I think we will try out a lot of different areas during the winter months. Austin sounds lovely, it gets compared to Portland a lot. Also, New Zealand is high on the list to check out during our winter months.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmmm.... let's see.... where have I lived?

Just north of Boston MA
Boston MA
Just north of Boston MA

But I do hope to retire somewhere warmer!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #53

Have lived in:

1. Portland
2. Eugene
3. Miami
4. Phoenix
5. Houston
6. Washington D.C.
7. Denver

Spent significant time in Los Angeles where I had an apartment for job purposes but never really considered it a place of residence.

Grew up in #1 been in #7 since 1989. Would rate Denver at the top and will continue to live here during retirement. Also have a little place in Scottsdale to spend the winters but Denver is home.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, California and Colorado. So far, Colorado wins.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm hoping my next move will be enroute the crematorium-- or the compost pile...
That sounds like my father. His quote was "When I move the undertaker's doing the packing." He was right.

We both grew up and worked in the Washington, DC suburbs. It used to be a nice area. We moved to escape the now-insane traffic. Proximity to family was a major factor so we didn't move far, about 80 miles, and that has worked well for us.

A fond but apparently receding dream was to move to one of the Carolinas but not too close to the shoreline because of the hurricanes. Now DW's closest sister is looking for a place nearby in WV so I guess I'll just have to resign myself to going into "hibernation mode" for three months of the year during winters.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
... so I guess I'll just have to resign myself to going into "hibernation mode" for three months of the year during winters.
Thank goodness for new versions of Photoshop...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #57
Administrator

I have lived in the following places. All before the age of 30:

London, England
Cadiz, OH
Norfolk, VA
Virginia Beach, VA
Norwich, CT
Jewett City, CT
Groton, CT
Cadiz, OH (a second time)
Waipahu, HI
Pearl City, HI
Cadiz, OH (again)
Charleston, SC
London, England (again)
Fall River, MA
Middletown, RI
North Chicago, IL
Harvester, MO
Annapolis, MD
Washington, DC
Orlando, FL
Saratoga Springs, NY
Norwich, CT (again)
Bremerton, WA
Newport News, VA
Mystic, CT
Dallas, TX
Painesville, OH
Milford, CT

I've lived in Milford for the last 23 years, and I expect we will stay here until the curtain drops.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Lived in Texas: Wichita Falls 2 years; Tyler 8 years; Austin 16 years; Houston 10 years. Retired in 2007 to Fort Collins, CO. Love it: four seasons; close to Denver; college town; clean air & water.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Queens, NY (as a kid)
Central CT (as a kid through high school)
RI (for college)
Cape Cod, MA (during summers through HS and then for trips home from college/Navy after parents retired there)
Philippines (Navy)
MD (Navy)
Monterey, CA (Navy)
Rota, Spain (Navy)
back to MD (Navy)
Va. Beach, VA (Navy)
Pensacola, FL (Navy)
back to MD (Navy)
Maine
back to MD (Navy and remained there 7 years or so after retirement)
VT (present location)

Considering a relocation to MA but not sure yet. Didn't like the summers in MD, VA or FL so no Southern moves.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lived in
Stockton, CA
Charlottesville, VA
Richmond, VA
and currently live in Atlanta. I enjoyed living in Charlottesville the most. It is great small city with UVA and all the related offerings.