Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
The terrain, communities, cost of housing, cultural opportunities, types of outdoor activities, people, places most affected by tourists, and even weather are very diverse in the state. It's both a long (Jax to Keys about 500 miles) and wide (Jax to Pensacola about 375 miles) state. To make a informed decision it would be best to experience a few different areas at different times of the year before you consider buying.

Cheers!
It's all relative.

Florida would fit into Texas four times...with a bit of room left over.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #42

I have visited Miami, Tampa and Orlando and it is always way too hot/humid. I was there in Dec. and soaked with sweat. It is pretty though.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I live on the border of Sarasota and Bradenton and the area is getting so overbuilt . The traffic is horrendous and the house prices are crazy . I used to live in Venice .I loved the area but even that is being over developed.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I live on the border of Sarasota and Bradenton and the area is getting so overbuilt . The traffic is horrendous and the house prices are crazy . I used to live in Venice .I loved the area but even that is being over developed.
Agree 100%. I live in Orlando. We are considering moving to Georgia or South Carolina because it is getting really crazy populated and expensive here. Plus....the summers are brutal. Seriously.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #45

My stepdaughter lived 10 mi. west of St. Augustine. Her boyfriend paid $353K for the place and it sold for $202K 10 years later (9/2014.) The property taxes and HOA fees were $5,500 per year. I have no idea what the homeowners' insurance was, but you can bet it's super expensive.

The price of housing is not just the issue in Florida--but property taxes, HOA fees and homeowners insurance is out of sight. They alone far make up for the lack of state income taxes.

But I'll say one thing for Florida: I've never seen nicer landscaping in the nicer neighborhoods. And I spent 5 weeks per year on business there when I worked.

Unfortunately, we have family issues that prohibit us from moving anywhere. We'll have to be satisfied with a lake house with 6 mile water and sunset views to the west--with 2 boats in a boathouse. We're not exactly suffering.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The price of housing is not just the issue in Florida--but property taxes, HOA fees and homeowners insurance is out of sight. They alone far make up for the lack of state income taxes.
My data:
property taxes - 1.2% of assessed value; assessed value is about 80% of market value
HOA fees - $75 per year
homeowner's insurance - $1,100 per year; full replacement value, includes hurricane coverage

I have no complaints about the local cost-of-living, and there is still plenty of reasonably-priced real estate around (not as cheap as in 2011, though). However, we don't need any more people moving here.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Both of our parents retired to FL. One east coast(Stuart) and west(Naples, Marco Island, Ft. Myres). We looked North, South, East and West. We looked on the beaches, rivers, mountains(yes mountains) and for us there's too many people doing the same thing we want to. YMMV.

I recall going to Orlando in July for w*rk. Hot and humid! I finally got dressed(suited) and cooled off in the car as I drove around for a while. When I finally arrived at the customers site and opened the car door the humidity hit my cold eyeglasses, fogged up solid! By the time I got to the front door I was drenched and still unable to see. Not the best start. This place was odd, and insurance company who also produced the "Weekly Reader" that some might remember from grade school. There were pallets of them scattered around a warehouse. Odd place with unbelievable humidity.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Life expectancy in Naples, FL is highest in the country per article in today's Naples News:

24/7 Wall Street: Life expectancy in Naples is highest in the country

omni
That's because nobody moves there until they're in their early 70s, giving an average life expectancy of about 85.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:31 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

In Florida, I would only want to live within easy walking distance of the beach, a nice town center, and attractive neighborhoods with newer houses. Which puts any place I'd actually want to live, way beyond our means (if it even exists....close to the beach means 1960's housing, unless you can afford to tear-down and rebuild). Edited to add: I spent my adolescence in south Florida, attended college there, and my first husband was a native Floridian (talk about a culture clash). I have traveled to all portions of the state. We like to vacation on the Treasure Coast.

According to an old saying, Florida is for the "newly wed and the nearly dead."
Old 12-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We found a place in Dunedin, just west of Tampa in Pinellas County. Bought it as a short sale in 2012 for what some people spend on a new car. Gets a little chilly in the AM in winter but still very nice. The community is close knit and progressive with a small town feel. Very pleased with location. This will be our first year snowbirding from St. Louis. Leaving after New Year's.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:32 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

(Following a common sub-theme in this thread....)

Whatever your FL destination - N,S,E or W - just makes sure you make it all the way to FL and under no circumstances get distracted by the Golden Isles of GA on your way down. :^)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved to North Port FL last August, it is between Sarasota and Fort Meyers. The home is an restricted community, about 30 - 40 minutes to Siesta Key, Boca Grande, Manasota key beach - 15 minutes Port Charlotte harbor. I found it is perfect location for us (much more affordable compare to surrounded beach towns) with a younger population (median age 41). It is just few miles from Publix groceries and shopping malls in Port Charlotte (we are near the North Port and Port Charlotte border)

Yes, it is hot and humid in the summer, however no where near Vietnam :-),
Right now, the weather is just perfect. We currently have the kids here visiting us, we went to all those beaches mentioned above and be able to deep in and swim (water temperature is around 72, we are great for us Oregonians).

We are not into boat, but we do see all size of boats in Port Charlotte harbor, and lot of people fishing in the bay.

It has been only few months, but so far DW likes it a lot. It is all that matter I guess.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That's because nobody moves there until they're in their early 70s, giving an average life expectancy of about 85.
When were exploring Florida for places to ER, it seemed like everyone was in their 80's or more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
(Following a common sub-theme in this thread....)
Whatever your FL destination - N,S,E or W - just makes sure you make it all the way to FL and under no circumstances get distracted by the Golden Isles of GA on your way down. :^)
This will be our second winter spending time on Saint Simons Island... I can see why you locals want to keep the area quiet...
Old 12-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in Pasadena ... just south and west of St Pete ... it still had remnants of "old Florida" when I last visited about three years ago.

If you have a boat and like to fish, etc, you might like being on/near a large bay with access to the Gulf of Mexico ...

I have seen a lot of east coast of Florida - just didn't like the beach with inland waterway thing ... always drawn back to Tampa Bay ...
Old 12-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #56

DW and I visit older family members occaisionally in FL. I feel so out of place; everyone is at least 20 years older and conversations are always about what hurts, and their next doctors appointment. I guess the alternative is worse.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #57

Last night we drove 1/2 mile to one of our local brewery/pub/restaurants for a pre-Christmas bon-fire with local blue-grass music and a crowd of about 200. My wife and I are 56, and there was an eclectic mix of ages and personalities. I would say we were on the older side of average age, but there was a range from 20 somethings to one guy who was close to 80. Great fun.

On the other hand, my FIL and MIL lived in a condo on the beach, and FIL used to say it felt like a nursing home.

You can find whatever you want. Not everyone in Florida is 80
Old 12-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Heck, even my Floridian ex wouldn't be 60 yet There actually are people who have lived in Florida for generations, and didn't just move there because they got old

Nevertheless, in most Florida venues you are not going to see many young folks out and about during the day, because they are either working, or in their cars swearing at the Old People From Up North, who are clogging up the roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
. Not everyone in Florida is 80
Old 12-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We spent two months there in our first two years of retirement. Our favorites were Key West. Naples, St. Armonds Circle, John's Pass, and Ft Lauderdale. Over the years we have done the whole state.

We decided on Puerto Vallarta but we can understand the appeal of Florida for the flatlanders! But I would also recommend renting in a few places to see what kind of people will be your new neighbors.

(Did you know there are alligators from PV all the way to San Blas?)
Old 12-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In Florida, I would only want to live within easy walking distance of the beach, a nice town center, and attractive neighborhoods with newer houses. Which puts any place I'd actually want to live, way beyond our means (if it even exists....close to the beach means 1960's housing, unless you can afford to tear-down and rebuild). Edited to add: I spent my adolescence in south Florida, attended college there, and my first husband was a native Floridian (talk about a culture clash). I have traveled to all portions of the state. We like to vacation on the Treasure Coast.

According to an old saying, Florida is for the "newly wed and the nearly dead."
1.5m from the Beach. Is this good enough. Been here 10 Years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 314 Fiddler's Point Drive-105.jpg (153.7 KB, 35 views)