Where to live in Florida?

(Following a common sub-theme in this thread....)

Whatever your FL destination - N,S,E or W - just makes sure you make it all the way to FL and under no circumstances get distracted by the Golden Isles of GA on your way down. :^)

We moved to North Port FL last August, it is between Sarasota and Fort Meyers. The home is an restricted community, about 30 - 40 minutes to Siesta Key, Boca Grande, Manasota key beach - 15 minutes Port Charlotte harbor. I found it is perfect location for us (much more affordable compare to surrounded beach towns) with a younger population (median age 41). It is just few miles from Publix groceries and shopping malls in Port Charlotte (we are near the North Port and Port Charlotte border)

Yes, it is hot and humid in the summer, however no where near Vietnam :),
Right now, the weather is just perfect. We currently have the kids here visiting us, we went to all those beaches mentioned above and be able to deep in and swim (water temperature is around 72, we are great for us Oregonians).

We are not into boat, but we do see all size of boats in Port Charlotte harbor, and lot of people fishing in the bay.

It has been only few months, but so far DW likes it a lot. It is all that matter I guess.

That's because nobody moves there until they're in their early 70s, giving an average life expectancy of about 85.

When were exploring Florida for places to ER, it seemed like everyone was in their 80's or more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

(Following a common sub-theme in this thread....)
Whatever your FL destination - N,S,E or W - just makes sure you make it all the way to FL and under no circumstances get distracted by the Golden Isles of GA on your way down. :^)

This will be our second winter spending time on Saint Simons Island... I can see why you locals want to keep the area quiet...:greetings10:

I grew up in Pasadena ... just south and west of St Pete ... it still had remnants of "old Florida" when I last visited about three years ago.

If you have a boat and like to fish, etc, you might like being on/near a large bay with access to the Gulf of Mexico ...

I have seen a lot of east coast of Florida - just didn't like the beach with inland waterway thing ... always drawn back to Tampa Bay ...

DW and I visit older family members occaisionally in FL. I feel so out of place; everyone is at least 20 years older and conversations are always about what hurts, and their next doctors appointment. I guess the alternative is worse.

Last night we drove 1/2 mile to one of our local brewery/pub/restaurants for a pre-Christmas bon-fire with local blue-grass music and a crowd of about 200. My wife and I are 56, and there was an eclectic mix of ages and personalities. I would say we were on the older side of average age, but there was a range from 20 somethings to one guy who was close to 80. Great fun.

On the other hand, my FIL and MIL lived in a condo on the beach, and FIL used to say it felt like a nursing home.

You can find whatever you want. Not everyone in Florida is 80 :)

Heck, even my Floridian ex wouldn't be 60 yet :LOL: There actually are people who have lived in Florida for generations, and didn't just move there because they got old ;)

Nevertheless, in most Florida venues you are not going to see many young folks out and about during the day, because they are either working, or in their cars swearing at the Old People From Up North, who are clogging up the roads :LOL:

. Not everyone in Florida is 80 :)

We spent two months there in our first two years of retirement. Our favorites were Key West. Naples, St. Armonds Circle, John's Pass, and Ft Lauderdale. Over the years we have done the whole state.

We decided on Puerto Vallarta but we can understand the appeal of Florida for the flatlanders! But I would also recommend renting in a few places to see what kind of people will be your new neighbors.

(Did you know there are alligators from PV all the way to San Blas?)

In Florida, I would only want to live within easy walking distance of the beach, a nice town center, and attractive neighborhoods with newer houses. Which puts any place I'd actually want to live, way beyond our means (if it even exists....close to the beach means 1960's housing, unless you can afford to tear-down and rebuild). Edited to add: I spent my adolescence in south Florida, attended college there, and my first husband was a native Floridian (talk about a culture clash). I have traveled to all portions of the state. We like to vacation on the Treasure Coast.

According to an old saying, Florida is for the "newly wed and the nearly dead."

1.5m from the Beach. Is this good enough. Been here 10 Years.

Attachments

• 314 Fiddler's Point Drive-105.jpg
    314 Fiddler's Point Drive-105.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I wouldn't presume to suggest a location, since you couldn't pay me to live anywhere in Florida, but I have a number of friends who have lived there for years and love where they are:
Melbourne (16 years)
Boca Raton (30 years)
Fort Myers (20 years)
St. Petersburg (24 years)
(The one from St. Pete just retired and moved to The Villages)

So I see it as the old standard of different strokes for different folks.

So far nobody has mentioned the area in Florida in which I live and I want to thank all of you. I spent 6 years before retirement researching for a better place to retire that met my criteria and discovered I was already there. No sense in letting out the secret location. ;)

Cheers!

Have you ever thought "Where do Floridians go on vacation?"

Every third car in the NE Georgia and Western North Carolina mountains has a Florida license plate. The planned communities are well represented by Floridians wanting elevation changes and a lot of mountain scenery.

(The one from St. Pete just retired and moved to The Villages)

So I see it as the old standard of different strokes for different folks.

We drove by the Villages. Never have seen so many golf carts on the road in my life! The Wal-mart had at least 50 in the parking lot, some very fancy.

Very timely post! Just started researching Florida as a place to buy a condo by the ICW. We are boaters...fishing and cruising lifestyle (easy trip to the Abacos) and wanted a low maintenance place given our travel lifestyle.

Another factor to consider would be the reason to buy.....long term investment or where you really want to live......sounds like a good excuse to travel to the state and explore it!

Very timely post! Just started researching Florida as a place to buy a condo by the ICW. We are boaters...fishing and cruising lifestyle (easy trip to the Abacos) and wanted a low maintenance place given our travel lifestyle.

Another factor to consider would be the reason to buy.....long term investment or where you really want to live......sounds like a good excuse to travel to the state and explore it!

What boat you have? We would love to cruise to Bahamas

What boat you have? We would love to cruise to Bahamas

We have a pocket trawler that cruises at 6.5 knots (perfect for the loop) and hoping to do the crossing someday. Also have a center console and a 13 ft whaler but considering a sailboat in the future as well so Florida seemed like a good place to explore...

Be careful along the ICW because flood insurance rates could skyrocket in the future. Actually this is true in general if your elevation is below 15 feet above seal level. Here is a site with hurricane inundation maps for Florida depending on the category https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/FlAtlCoastSurge.asp

We have a pocket trawler that cruises at 6.5 knots (perfect for the loop) and hoping to do the crossing someday. Also have a center console and a 13 ft whaler but considering a sailboat in the future as well so Florida seemed like a good place to explore...

40 foot flybridge diesel here. Love it. Can't see doing sailing. Probably consider something different when I get to Florida.

40 foot flybridge diesel here. Love it. Can't see doing sailing. Probably consider something different when I get to Florida.

Sounds like a great boat for anywhere in Florida! Also hearing more and more about these lips for sale for those who plan to live FT on their boats....something we may want to do in our old age, but for now, a nice, low maintenance home base that we can come home to between trips would be good.

I would assume your boat, given the diesel, would be pretty fuel efficient, but staying on the east coast where you can wait for good weather to cross would be more convenient than the west.

Yes as fuel efficient as a boat can get. I have pods too if you know what that is. East coast would be best. But I also have looked at Naples because it is close to keys and a pretty easy run around the tip and over. But again I may change the boat up depending on some factors.

I own my slip here in NY. I recently bought a large 18' slip. One of my retirement considerations is have a place and a home base in Florida and live on the boat in the summer in NY. I think I would want a bigger boat to live on. Would consider one of these large older motor yachts. I mean if you think about it living in a boat has no electric cost, no water cost, no large bills other than boat which even if it doesn't move can be cheap. My slip costs me about $3k a year in common and tax charges. I rent it right now. Place has pool, tennis, security, so not a bad deal and a beautiful open water view.

I have looked at slips in Florida and not sure buying pays. Renting seems cheaper. Plus not sure where I want to settle yet so not buying.

Slips are not cheap here in NE Florida, especially for a 40 Footer. If you want to be in a Marina. There at Buoys you can use or simply anchor, but not sure I would like that. The Conch House Marina is typical.

Marina | The Conch House

I would never use a mooring for a permanent dock for boat. I like a slip. Even anchoring stinks. My DW will never sleep at anchor. We did this once and woke up almost on the beach.

Back
Top Bottom