Where would your Ideal Retirement Location Be?

It's interesting that many people are describing their own ideal retirement location, without addressing the issue posed by the OP, which is the possible need to look outside the US.

It is still somewhat interesting to hear other's reasoning.

Maybe not many people have done it, or are considering it? Also a lot of the folk that responded said Healthcare was not an issue for them, so their situations are completely different.

I would really like to hear from the folks that are like me and that is it is a massive issue, hence the reason to look in a different country.

Last edited:
Maybe not many people have done it, or are considering it? Also a lot of the folk that responded said Healthcare was not an issue for them, so their situations are completely different.

I would really like to hear from the folks that are like me and that is it is a massive issue, hence the reason to look in a different country.

I have lived in three countries, but all my international moves were made in my 20s and early 30s. In my early 50s I was head hunted by a fourth country, but I realized that I didn't want to take on being an immigrant again. It takes time to feel connected and at home. One key to full integration is citizenship. In your shoes, I would narrow my options to those countries where I am a citizen. YMMV of course. You are fortunate to have several options.

It's interesting that many people are describing their own ideal retirement location, without addressing the issue posed by the OP, which is the possible need to look outside the US.

Well, I tried!!! But maybe my post was too long to read.
Why not go back to Canada? I'd think a home with really good, reliable heat in southern Canada might work out nicely for you. Or, you could establish residency in Canada for health insurance reasons, and snowbird to the US during the worst of the winter season.
Also, I agree with ShokWaveRider that many of us just don't have the health care problems that he has due to prior choices in our lives. Even more relevant is that many of us don't have the multiple other options in multiple foreign countries that he has, also due to our prior choices in life.

So, some proceeded to answer the question asked in the thread title, presumably describing the main thread topic: Where would your Ideal Retirement Location Be?

Last edited:
Well, I tried!!! But maybe my post was too long to read.
Also, I agree with ShokWaveRider that many of us just don't have the health care problems that he has due to prior choices in life. Even more relevant is that many of us don't have the multiple other options in multiple foreign countries that he has.

W2R, I read your entire post. My comments were in reference to the thread as a whole.

Re: your comment

"I agree with ShokWaveRider that many of us just don't have the health care problems that he has due to prior choices in life."

I'm confused. Are you implying that ShokWaveRider has lifestyle-related health problems?

W2R, I read your entire post. My comments were in reference to the thread as a whole.

Re: your comment

"I agree with ShokWaveRider that many of us just don't have the health care problems that he has due to prior choices in life."

I'm confused. Are you implying that ShokWaveRider has lifestyle-related health problems?
Huh? wow, that sure wasn't the meaning I intended to convey. MY APOLOGIES to ShokWaveRider if that was what it sounded like; I'm so sorry!

As I have stated many times before, I chose federal employment because of the benefits, and that includes health insurance. That was the prior choice in life I was referring to. While nothing in life is certain but death and taxes, I think the fact that federal health insurance will remain relatively reasonable and stable in comparison with megacorps insurance might be a close third. I may very well be wrong! But that was my thinking upon which my choice of federal employment was made many years ago, and that is why I did not take the job with the highest salary. Prior choices in life can and do affect things like pensions and retiree health care. They can also affect salary; mine was considerably lower due to going for the pensions and health care. Every choice has its plusses and minuses I suppose.

Last edited:

Guess you're right, but we've found our ideal right here in the US, and the"retirement" word hit me as being able to have what we want, when we want it, and the "now" for us is the slow down period when the sun and the surf and the shopping and theatre don't mean as much as being comfortable and doing things at our own pace.

So, yes... we've sampled life in the Adirondak Mountains of NY,, on an Island.. (Martha's Vineyard) on the coasts in Cape Cod and Rhode Island and Maine, in Westlaco Texas, Atlanta Georgia, Chicago/Lisle IL, Leesburg Florida, Boston MA,and now in Peru, Central Illinois... with time spent in Colorado, California, Albany NY, Baltimore, MD, and a quick sampling of Tokyo... All of these places have their charm, most have been on a coastline or near water and boats and most would have been fine places for the earlier retirement years.

Now, not so much. Slower, safer, more stable, and everything we want and need within 3 miles. Our HOA is truly run by the homeowners, for the home owners, and this has led to having and keeping a beautiful well kept, treed and flowered neighborhood. Ten years ago, our eyes might have wandered to a more exciting and challenging homestead, but now, this is our home and we wouldn't want to move from it.

One thing I did not mention, is the family we do have; Outlaws and InLaws and siblings etc., we do like somewhat "In VERY small doses". Being in FLA we do get the odd visitor. We have found it very advantageous to live at least a decent plane ride away, well beyond "Dropping In" distance. so being neat them is a non issue.

As W2R mentioned I made early life choices that took me from the UK to Canada and then to the USA. At least I was smart enough to pick up citizenships along the way. Although, I probably would have just kept my Green card in the USA because of their Archaic Global Taxation policies. But After the world turmoil set in, it became a lot more difficult to get into a Nuclear plant in the USA without being a naturalized citizen, and I did have to a lot during my w*rking years. So when it became time to renew the Green Card, I became a Citizen instead to get it over with.

One thing I did not mention, is the family we do have; Outlaws and InLaws and siblings etc., we do like somewhat "In VERY small doses". Being in FLA we do get the odd visitor. We have found it very advantageous to live at least a decent plane ride away, well beyond "Dropping In" distance. so being neat them is a non issue.

As W2R mentioned I made early life choices that took me from the UK to Canada and then to the USA. At least I was smart enough to pick up citizenships along the way.
I think that was very smart! It gives you the choice of living in the US, Canada or the UK in retirement, without having to deal with citizenship issues.

I suppose the question now is which one really seems more appealing to you? If it was me, I'd go for the one that seems most appealing right now. My reasoning is that we can't predict the future, and most of the news media seem determined to throw all of us into the deepest darkest depression imaginable. I guess they think that builds advertising revenue. But anyway, I have little faith in their doom'n'gloom predictions. Therefore I'd recommend making these big decisions based on firm facts and present reality, rather than on any predictions whatsoever.

Last edited:
Historic Florida sounds pretty nice, OP. Old town Orlando, St Augustin? You could buy a cottage in Canada and still spend 212 days in the US under Cdn healthcare. Tax treaty ensures that you will be treated fairly.

Since I have 12.5 years to Medicare my plan B is a UK move until 65 and then return. Will have to see what pans out in the US. Maybe hope for a UK, Canada, AZ, NZ free trade and movement agreement and go to Canada for a while.

Brexit has ruined moving to an EU country. EU free movement was the reason I went through the whole bother of getting the UK passport in the first place.

Historic Florida sounds pretty nice, OP. Old town Orlando, St Augustin? You could buy a cottage in Canada and still spend 212 days in the US under Cdn healthcare. Tax treaty ensures that you will be treated fairly.

St Auggie..... I know, but I really do not want to own 2 homes. we would also need to downsize a little and loose the pool as it is a pain to leave for 6 months.

Since I have 12.5 years to Medicare my plan B is a UK move until 65 and then return. Will have to see what pans out in the US. Maybe hope for a UK, Canada, AZ, NZ free trade and movement agreement and go to Canada for a while.

Brexit has ruined moving to an EU country. EU free movement was the reason I went through the whole bother of getting the UK passport in the first place.

UK is an option, but DW would have to get a spousal visa which is REALLY inconvenient. Oh and the weather.... I spent 27 years of my life walking around smelling like a wet dog, (Tongue in Cheek) I really do not want to go back to that. south of France would be nice, but as you say, Brexit.

Well, I think we have similar issues and concerns. For me health insurance is only obtainable when it is guaranteed issue, and I'm only interested in comprehensive coverage. I also lived much of my adult life outside the US, and originally intended to retire in Latin America, and would consider again relocating outside the US, for lifestyle reasons.

I am not considering relocating outside of the US for healthcare. When eligible, I still plan on full coverage Medicare, and don't feel there are any non US options that are superior. So, my needs are comprehensive coverage until Medicare kicks in.

If individual coverage becomes unobtainable in Florida, there may be other insurance options. Individual coverage might be available in another state. Group association coverage might be available. Some type of employer mandate might exist. Prior to the ACA there were some guaranteed issue mandates (small business, bridge from group to individual) and there might be some in this future situation. My point is, the specific regulations matter, these are unknowns, and if there is money to be made selling insurance to people like me - and there is - someone will find a way to do it. This is my base case.

Worst case - no mandates, no nothin', every state bails, we're all on our own - we're still not moving overseas. Makes no sense to me to sacrifice my lifestyle for health insurance. I could just as easily go back to work. Not sure what I would do, but I will first wait until we have specifics before deciding what options are open to us.

Last edited:
St Auggie..... I know, but I really do not want to own 2 homes. we would also need to downsize a little and loose the pool as it is a pain to leave for 6 months.
We leave our PV MX home for over 6 months and hire a property manager and housekeeper to look after it. It costs us 2500 pesos/mo plus any maintenance that gets done while we are away.

For us, it is all about the weather, affordable healthcare & availability and reasonably priced housing. We have no direct family (Children etc.), so being near them is not a criterion.

Up to now other than a few other annoying and worrying (for us) US idiosyncrasies, the USA has offered us the best quality of life for all of the above since the ACA was passed. However, "if" affordable and readily available healthcare is taken from us, we will need to choose and alternative location.

We are both Canadians and I am also English, which offer quality affordable Healthcare, but fall very far short of the weather category.

We have been in the USA for over 30 years and certainly call it our home. However with the recent turn of events we have been (or will be) forced to look for a more suitable location.

I have scoured the internet and Equador, Colombia, Portugal, Spain and others do fit the bill.

I was curious if anyone here has experience of this big life decision that they could share, and in addition anyone who is thinking like we are?

We are 63 and 58 respectively and are pretty set in our ways. The idea is daunting just to think about. Year Round Weather is a Big Deal too.

Note: This is NOT a Healthcare thread, please refrain from commenting about it directly, other than if you cannot renew your current level of care in the years to come and what the alternatives (for you) are.

I faced a big life decision in 2007. I put in my retirement papers, we were apt renters, we could go just about anywhere to retire, I read a book by the editor of Living abroad magazine . I then came upon the idea of living full time in some 5 star(maybe it was 4 or 4.5) resort all inclusive. The cost was less than my yearly pension. The bride vetoed that idea. So, we decided to stay where were were comfortable , just upgraded. Im sure glad my life living arrangements are not dictated by a fear of future healthcare. I wish you well ,

Apologies to the OP. I didn't read the question carefully enough.

If I could retire to the foreign country of my choice, it would be England in a heartbeat. I love the history, geography, culture, and even the climate. But Her Majesty's government do not welcome American retirees, not even the ones who use plural verbs with collective nouns.

We are 54 & 55 and doing it all on our own. We are U.S. citizens with no foreign ties, except one of DH's brothers who moved to Canada a few years ago. I am definitely concerned about healthcare.

These are things I've thought about (DH is not at all on board with anything other than the first one, but I like to at least have an idea of what to do in a worst-case scenario):
- California will do something and we'll be able to stay here -- this is the best option
- Find a way to get group coverage -- start a business and join the chamber of commerce or other professional associations, check out aarp, etc
- Get a job -- really don't want to do this, and it would almost certainly have to be full-time to get coverage -- would only do this if there really were no insurance plans accepting individuals and couldn't convince DH to move
- Move to Mass and get covered by Romney-care -- hate the weather there and both our Moms are in CA, so this is not ideal
- find another state where things are better -- Hawaii seems like a possibility
- Mexico - have very limited Spanish, but can learn
- Panama
- look into other places that accept expats, maybe BIL could sponsor us to Canada

I would move back to California in a heartbeat if they opted for single Payer Healthcare. Real Estate would be a challenge though.... I like to live near the ocean. But 10 miles is OK.

Last edited:
I'd have to say I'm already living there. Small mountain town, fantastic recreation and climate, good healthcare and a college. It's one of those places where we often find ourselves asking "why go somewhere else for a vacation?"
That sounds similar to where we live in rural Ventura County CA. Fantastic recreation and climate, good healthcare and a college

If I were in similar situation I would look into Hong Kong and British Virgin Islands. Seriously, with $5 million, I'm sure I won't have a problem of living any where.

I would love to live in southern CA for the weather but that is almost certainly beyond our budget and DW wouldn't want to be that far from family anyway. As a second choice one of the Carolinas would be good for the milder weather. My sister lived in FL for eight years and it is too hot & muggy for us (she described it as "like D.C. in August but for 10 months"). But again, proximity to family was and is important so here we are in northern WV. And I have to acknowledge that other than for the two or three worst winter months I like it here.

If I were in similar situation I would look into Hong Kong and British Virgin Islands. Seriously, with $5 million, I'm sure I won't have a problem of living any where.

Interesting the different perspectives on this site; I've been to both and wouldn't live in either.

(My late wife had a friend who ran a business, (tied in to the bare-boating industry), out of Tortola for decades...he finally left. We also met an older Brit couple, also Tortola residents, in the post office, (this was circa 1983), who claimed that the locals resented off-islanders and often looked for ways to thwart them.)

Beachfront is cheaper outside the US. Panama uses US money, so there is no exchange rate. Their only minted money is a one dollar coin, a Balboa. Puerto Armuelles Panama is a village on the Pacific coast. The cost of beachfront real estate there is missing a digit. The tiny beachfront lots are $30-40K.
Nha Trang Vietnam is very inexpensive and on the coast.
If beachfront is not your primary choice, look for where latitude and altitude make a comfortable climate year 'round. San Miguel de Allende Mexico is an example, as is Boquete in Panama. The expat population at San Miguel is so large that you can get by with just English there.
I'm currently living in the high country of rural Arizona with the latitude/altitude combination. Snows here a few times per year, melts off in the next three days, which are sunny after every storm. It is a different time zone though, turn your watch back about 30 years at the county line.
I like Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii. The key there is to live like the locals, on fruit and vegetables plus some rice with chicken, not potatoes, wheat flour, and beef. There are significant micro climates for the rain there, sunny on the coast and more and more rain as the elevation rises on the mountain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom