"Affordability" and a new car

Well, I don't think I ever thought about it in terms of percentage of NW or WR. Also, I not a car-gal, and have driven some amazingly run down vehicles (formerly known as bombs) back-in-the-days-of-next-to-no-money. I have always paid cash. My general guidelines are:

- pay cash;
- have liquid cash available in case there is an urgent need to purchase a vehicle;
- look for something safe and reliable.

Words to live by. Of course we all have different car "tastes." One of the advantages of having a bit of extra money in the stash is to buy what we want during FIRE. Personally, I want reliability more than any other feature but YMMV.

-

At age 66, I am looking less at "affordability" and more at "this could be the last car purchase I ever make", as I tend to hold onto cars as long as I can.
I'm just slightly younger than you, and figured that my recent purchase is probably my second-to-last car buy.

I just want reliable transportation and a long warranty so I don't have to deal with unexpected major expenses. Currently have a 2012 Kia Soul. Thanks to some recalls the warranty is good to 150k miles and I'm at 120k now. We plan on buying another Kia when we get a year or two from retirement. It'll be nice to not have to worry about getting a car until again until we're social security age. I could easily afford a much "cooler" car, but since cheap transportation is all I want it for I don't see the point in that kind of investment. If a rich Uncle died and left me millions, sure, I'd buy that Ariel Atom, but I doubt that's going to happen. 😉

I bought my last new Hyundai Santa Fe at age 70. Thinking my warranty and the 10 year on the Santa Fe warranty would run out about the same time. Ms G is more than happy to drive her 2009 GMC 4WD Sierra, only 15 y o with 150K. She does wish that I would wash it sometime.

I bought a new 2020 Santa Fe four years ago at 71. We just returned from a trip to NC and the milage is now at 18,500. We have only taken a few other shorter trips so the majority of miles is around town. At this rate in 10 more years it should only have about 60k miles. As long as it holds up mechanically (it has the 100k drive train warranty) and doesn't rust out and if nothing happens to my health or mental abilities I would only buy another car if it could be programmed to drive to a destination.

DW is 76 and starting macular degeneration, sure she can drive for a few years, we didn't need to replace our 2nd car but she wanted a new car, I would have bought her a Tesla (or any car she wanted, like a MB we looked at) but she wanted a Bolt and is overjoyed with it, putting on @ 5K mi a year. Not a good financial decision but we can afford it so why shouldn't she have the car she wants and brings her joy. May be the last car we buy.

We're on the frugal side for cars, but Toyota have been the most reliable we've ever owned. Currently we have a 2018 Avalon and 2012 Sienna. Both were 2-3 years old when we bought them and paid $18k for each. Lots of similar parts so easy to work on.

Now we look at insurance and how little we drive (less than 5k miles each annually for the past few years. Insurance is upward of $2k annually for liability on the van and full on the car. The van is the most utility vehicle I've ever owned. Doubles for a truck & 2 person rv in a pinch. Both are ~1.5% of NW.

I have had a few new cars but mostly buy certified used from a dealer that are 2-4 years old. Although my friend just bought a new car because the used one with 60k miles was only 3k cheaper.

By far the best car is my 16 year old Toyota Corolla that has 71k miles and has never had a repair except for brakes. My friend drives a 32 year old Camry that she bought new.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom