Which home automation gadgets do you have and like?

I've never really looked at these WiFi home devices. Any security features (ie. WEP, WPA, other encryption or MAC retrictions)? Wouldn't want my neighbour turning things on and off.

The subject is interesting, as everything from refrigerators to garage door openers either are, or can be remotely controlled.

Taking it a bit further, here's something to think about... It comes from my attempt to catalog the "things" that are plugged in, in my house... and may or may not use electricity. The ones below marked (*) use electricity 24/7, either in the "wait " mode as in remote controls, or electronically regulated thermostats or other sensor activated circuits and sleep controls.

*air conditioner
*furnace
*furnace thermostat
*refrigerator
*freezer
*heat tape
*room fan
*electric stove
*coffeemaker
*laptop
*computer
*monitor
*USB hub
*modem
*router
*printer
*television
*TV receiver(s)
*CD/DVD player
*multi media player
*telephones
*door bell
*garage door opener
*electric clocks
*indoor outdoor thermometer
*clock radio
*motion lights
*electric toothbrush
*electric heater
*x10 remote
*home medic alert
*cell phone charger
*any low voltage transformer/charger that is plugged in
-even if the cell phone or tablet or battery is not attached

Most if not all of the above are using electricity, even if they are not "in use", so even when we leave the house that meter is spinning. In fact, there are very few items that are really on/off.

lights
washer/dryer
dishwasher
disposal
mixers/blenders/toasters etc
vacuum
electric cooking appliances
power tools

Last edited:
Last edited:
By these standards, about the only home automation we have is the TiVo wireless adaptor to get programming updates from the router/Internet...

When I program my irrigation controller (the ol' fashioned way) it brings back fond memories of restarting an AN/UYK-7 fire control computer after it locks up. But I'd sure like to have a time-domain reflectometer to figure out where the wire to one irrigation zone is broken.

I guess I have zero automated gadgets in my apartment.

FIREd said:
I guess I have zero automated gadgets in my apartment.

I just have DH but he is easy to program so I never needed an upgrade or new version to handle things like coffee, security,
maintenance....

I guess I don't have any automated gadgets. My coffeemake would make coffee at a particular time, but I prefer starting it manually. By the time I get dressed it is done. My thermostat is a fancy pre-programmed one, but I just use the default settings and adjust it manually when needed for comfort. Again, I like doing it manually. If I am not home, I let it default to the uncomfortable and energy saving default temperatures.

I do plan to get a keypad entry deadbolt for my side door, although don't know if that qualifies as an automated device.

We don't water plants or lawns in New Orleans, with 60+" of rain each year. So, no need for timed sprinkler systems. I don't even own a hose or sprinkler any more. I have no use for a motion detecting light at the door, since I don't go outside after dark.

Back in my 20's, the idea of a computer operated home was so intriguing! I could hardly wait for the home of the future. But now that I am in my 60's and it is possible, I really don't see much use for any of it unless one travels more than I do.

We have a 90 gallon salt water fish tank. We have a reverse osmosis system that we use to make the water that is needed to top it up daily as well as about 20 gallons or so that we "change out" every few weeks or so that is treated with salt. Loses about a quart or two per day from evaporation.

The daily top up is automated using a set of float valves that turn on the flow from the RO system in to the sump after it drops a preset amount. It then fills until a second float valve activates to shut the water off. This is a real time saver for us and keeps the water level from dropping to a damaging level.

We have a few lights that are motion activated as well along with some fancy tv remotes made by Harmony.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a can opener. Guess I'm going to have to buy an electric one as I can't find a manual one that works. In looking closer, I find that the cans are being designed differently. Guess there is no standard for this. Anyway, I cannot find a manual can opener that works.

Also, speaking of irrigation systems and controllers, I wonder if those "rain sensors" actually work. I've never had one that does. I talking about the device that automatically turns off your watering day if it is raining.

I LOVE my manual can opener. IT's OXO's Smooth Edge Can Opener. It's very easy to use and it works differently than traditional can openers in that there is no sharp edge.

I think it's likely that you'll be, for example, opening up soup cans during power outages, so I don't know if electric can openers are such a good idea.

I don't have jack. Closest I've come to modern convenience is that I just replaced 4 keyed entry locks so that they all have the same key. Previously, they were all different and I only knew where one key was. After 30 years, it was time to splurge and go all new-fangled modern.

I LOVE my manual can opener. IT's OXO's Smooth Edge Can Opener. It's very easy to use and it works differently than traditional can openers in that there is no sharp edge.

I concur. This particular can opener is a "must-have" -- OXO's normal ergonomic structure. Once you figure out how to use this type of can opener (there is, in addition to other brands, a battery powered version), you will wonder why anyone would want to use the older can opener models.

Right now I have zero automation devices but have been researching the Neato robotic vacuum device. Haven't decided to buy one yet but I just might.

We're regressing. We use a clothesline instead the dryer when weather cooperates. Resisting smart phones, cloud computing and other stuff. "Get off our lawn!" ;-)

Right now I have zero automation devices but have been researching the Neato robotic vacuum device. Haven't decided to buy one yet but I just might.

assume it's similar to a Roomba. had one few yrs ago. gave it away cuz 1. it doesn't like rugs w/fringes like the faux persians I got 2. there was a lot of work to prepare to use it. had to move/pull out chairs from under dining rm table; got stuck with all the legs. and had to pick up all shoes from any rms cuz, like fringe, it didn't like laces.

If I listed my home automation gadgets, I might get banned. :cool:

;)

Actually, I only have the usual suspects...programmable thermostats, coffee maker, and Mr B.

assume it's similar to a Roomba. had one few yrs ago. gave it away cuz 1. it doesn't like rugs w/fringes like the faux persians I got 2. there was a lot of work to prepare to use it. had to move/pull out chairs from under dining rm table; got stuck with all the legs. and had to pick up all shoes from any rms cuz, like fringe, it didn't like laces.
Those are the sorts of things that have kept me from buying one. I would have to see one in operation before I'd ever buy.

What counts as a home automation device? If it includes the washer and dryer, yup, I use and like those. If it means microprocessor controlled devices, I use and like few because the engineer in me too easily spots the design flaws and is disappointed.

For automation, I want something that needs very little tending. IMO a fussy device with too many tedious manual steps negates the automation advantage. For example, devices with a clock should 1) know when standard and daytime saving time begin/end, and 2) gracefully handle power outages of a few minutes duration, which are common at my location. Unfortunately few devices meet just those two criteria.

I like programmable thermostats for their energy savings, and have used several models over the years, but all have had fiddly quirks. One routinely ignored manual override. Another *always* wastefully turned on the heat pump for a couple minutes before shutting it off at the start of nighttime mode. Another practically ate batteries and lost all the programming each time the battery was changed. My current one remembers programming across short outages, but upon the slightest momentary power blip forgets manual overrides.

Because of such problems, I intentionally avoid many computer-based automation devices, and instead opt for simpler ones.

I can't go without a remote control for my TV set :D

Home automation was a hobby of mine in the house I sold this summer. It had interconnected security, lighting, and home theater. I worked on it over several years. It would take a couple of pages to describe it all. The things I liked the most was the Harmony remote which also controlled the lights, the under-cabinet dimmable lighting, and the key-fob that controlled the garage door and the home security system. There was a very small set of LEDs on the outside of the garage that indicated the state of the home security system for a few seconds after it changed. I could shut the garage door, arm the security system, and verify that it was armed all from the car as I was leaving. I think you can do all this stuf with a smart phone today. Half life of home automation gadgets is very short.

Those are the sorts of things that have kept me from buying one. I would have to see one in operation before I'd ever buy.

We had one for a while. IMO the prep wasn't much different than the prep I would do to vacuum so that wasn't an issue for me. Eventually the battery died and we lost enthusiasm for it. It did an ok job, but you still needed to vacuum occasionally.

We had a lot of wall-to-wall carpeting in that house. The new house is all tile/hardwood floors so I'm considering another one - I think it would probably be better in hardwood floors than carpet.

My experience exactly roomba and oriental rugs do not agree at all. Then also if you don't use it the battery gets weaker and weaker. It is the drive belt that causes the problem in that the fringe gets caught under the belt as it goes around the wheel.

My water softener is now a type that monitors the water usage and only re-generates when so many gallons have gone thru. That is much better than the old clock based units. So I guess you could call that home automation as well.

Like Purron - we're moving a step backwards in some ways... clothes drying on the line, cooking more from scratch, etc.

But the things I love - auto thermostat, programable irrigation, TIVO!!!!, auto coffee maker.
With Tivo, if a coworker or friend mentions a show - I can go online and add it to the record list from work.

And as a mom - we have parental control stuff on the kids main computer - I can set the curfew time on/off remotely for the kids to access the computer, using Microsoft Family Safety. That's nice because they can get homework/chores done and then have their dad call - and I can turn on the computer for them from anywhere I have web access. That's a nice automation if I'm working late.

Back
Top Bottom