Why I Hate Colder Climates

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
Actually, I don't because I have spent most of my adult life in warm or mild climates. But often I read here that someone has moved to a warmer climate because they do not like living in colder regions. I don't really "get it".

Sure, it's cold outside in the north but you have heat in the house, the car, and any businesses you might need to go to. Plus, you have nice warm clothing to keep you toasty warm. We have climate control in our cars and homes in the South as well, and we dress for the weather, too.

Sure, there is snow shoveling to be done (just as we have far more mowing and hacking back of tropical growth, and believe me that is a miserable job too). As we get older and can't handle shoveling snow or mowing in the heat, one can either pay for someone to mow or shovel snow, or one can live in a condo I suppose. I really see no difference here from living in the south.

I just don't GET it. So, on this hot, hot, hot July 4th I thought it might be entertaining to start a thread for people to complain about why they don't like living in a cold climate. Have at it! :)

Well, I'm doing the opposite of what you recommend, since I love living in a cold climate.

I love wearing sweaters and layers of clothes.

Running outside is much more pleasant at 5 degrees than it is at 90 (you can always add layers in the winter, but there's only so much you can take off in the cold!)

The freeze helps keep our creepy bug and invasive species (e.g. pythons) in check.

I don't like driving in ice, but now that I have moved, I will just take the bus to work, so that's no longer an issue.

I love being able to wear the hats/scarves that I knit.

You will never hear me complain about the cold!

In fact, I was just talking with some of my friends about how so many retired people up here will winter in FL or AZ. When I retire, I might summer in AK :)

Reactions: W2R
Clearly it's different for everyone. My feeling is that extreme heat is just uncomfortable while extreme cold is literally painful. It's 95 degrees and humid today. Although that would make me sweat and feel uncomfortable to be outside, it's no big deal. If it's 5 degrees(happens very often most winters) then any exposed skin becomes painful in seconds. If you have no garage things become much worse as you have to scape the windows daily, sometimes several times. Driving in snow and ice is no fun at all and getting stuck is even worse. Everyone I know has gotten stuck in the snow or slid off the road at least once. Both have happened to me when I had my Acura. So far i've been ok with my AWD Forester with 7 inches clearance but I still have to be very careful. It gets "old" real fast having to put on several layers to go outside for just a few minutes then taking them off when you get inside just to do it all again soon after. The only problem with extreme heat is you may need to take a few extra showers:)

Last edited:
I like to wear T-shirts and shorts, and eating outdoors! Can't do that when it's a gazillion degrees below zero.

I think one is more restricted in colder climates.

All I need to do is watch the movie "Fargo" to remind myself.

Last edited:
Some people feel better in warmer climates, especially those with arthritis. I had an aunt who lived in the upper midwest, but suffered with arthritis. A move to southern Florida let her live relatively pain-free.

I prefer more moderate climates (having grown up in southern California and Arizona).

-- Rita

I spent most of my life in the north in states like Ohio, Michigan and PA. As a kid, we were out in the snow and cold all the time in the winter months. As I got older, I got to hate the winters. The biggest reasons were; bad driving, didn't like winter sports, too many gloomy days, bad driving, ugly when snow melted, bad driving, etc. When I retired DW and I immediately knew we were going south; for the winter if not permanently. Now for the most part I could golf every day if I wanted, it's never gloomy, good driving conditions, go to the beach if you want, just more cheerful overall, etc. Did I mention good driving conditions? Also, you only need one set of clothes. Shorts, a tee shirt and flip-flops. Just my opinion.

Actually, I don't because I have spent most of my adult life in warm or mild climates. But often I read here that someone has moved to a warmer climate because they do not like living in colder regions. I don't really "get it".
Neither do I.

Beyond talking about the Civil War (since today is July 4th - think Gettysburg), there always is and always will be an argument about what is best, North or South.

The best? It depends on the individual, not on the geographical location nor current temperature.

When it's too hot? You probably will stay indoors, where the AC is on (as we do).

If it's too cold? You probably will stay indoors, where the heat is on (as we do).

As for ourselves (being that we lived in the Mid-Atlantic most of our lives, but also in Florida during our early years, along with me in Texas in the late 60's)? We prefer a little bit of both.

Either hot or cold for too long a time (more than a single season) is "boring". We love the cold, crisp mornings of late fall and winter as much as the spring days and early mornings of the sultry summer (as we're having now).

Life is too short to just be tied to one "climate" or lifestyle.

BTW, we would rather be in an area that you can snow and water ski for part of the year. Anything less would be not be acceptable in our life, as we wish to live it...

Last edited:
I am originally from the northeast, and swore I would never leave my beloved area, until my megacorp forced me to move:LOL:. Snow and cold never bothered me at all back then.

Now that we've been in Texas for almost 20 years, I think my blood must have thinned out, as even some of the north Texas cold weather extremes bother me. I definitely do not think we could move back to the northeast and put up with a longer season of that. However, with global warming, I am not sure any area of the country will ever be the same as it once was:facepalm:

Lets see, about cold weather.

Shoveling snow. Driving on ice. Driving on snow. Salt and dirt on the roads. Lack of humidity. No fresh air. Spend half the day putting on and taking off heavy winter clothes. Dry cough. Arthritis.

However, with global warming, I am not sure any area of the country will ever be the same as it once was:facepalm:

Of course it will! At some point, the earth will start to cool, the ice fields will start to advance and it will get cooler. Then it reverses itself. (But not in our lifetime)

-- Rita

Another thing I dislike about the winter is I always get sick at least once a year. Never get sick when it's warm. Breathing cold(I mean really cold) air for an extended amount of time gives me a sore throat. Sometimes get a runny nose that just will not stop. I know many others with similar issues. My fingers and toes take forever(or it seems that way at least)to warm up. It costs more to heat a home to 70 if it's 0 outside than it does to cool a house to 70 if it's 100 outside. I think it was 3 years ago, I didn't see the sun for at least 3 months. Not a single day...depressing.

Sure, it's cold outside in the north but you have heat in the house, the car, and any businesses you might need to go to. Plus, you have nice warm clothing to keep you toasty warm. We have climate control in our cars and homes in the South as well, and we dress for the weather, too.

Sure, there is snow shoveling to be done (just as we have far more mowing and hacking back of tropical growth, and believe me that is a miserable job too). As we get older and can't handle shoveling snow or mowing in the heat, one can either pay for someone to mow or shovel snow, or one can live in a condo I suppose. I really see no difference here from living in the south.

:)

The one difference is that winter takes a big toll on the roads and the cars rust . Another difference is driving is scary . I lived twenty minutes from my job and in an ice storm it took me three hours to get to work sliding the whole way .You need many more clothes than you need living in the south and no matter how many clothes you put on you are still cold . Winter brings gloomy days and you go months with a lack of foliage and dirty piles of snow. Despite this I still miss the North every fall and around Christmas .There is nothing prettier than Fall Foliage or the first snowfall but IMO living is easier in a warm climate .

If you have to park your car outside regularly you better have AAA or some quality equivlent because you will eventually have a dead battery with no advance notice. Also, the salt that get's spread on the roads erodes your car quickly. Most cars are "rust buckets" within just a few years if not washed often. So it's costly either way.

I don't mind colder climates as long as it rarely gets below zero. I like the Chicago climate, but I wouldnt classify it as colder - today its 100. I do like to minimize my time in the cold by traveling somewhere warm for the winter.

If you have to park your car outside regularly you better have AAA or some quality equivlent because you will eventually have a dead battery with no advance notice. Also, the salt that get's spread on the roads erodes your car quickly. Most cars are "rust buckets" within just a few years if not washed often. So it's costly either way.s
Sorry, I have to call bul* on your statements.

For one thing, heat is more of a car battery killer than cold:

Hot Weather the True Culprit Behind Car-Battery Trouble | Be Car Care Aware

I don't replace batteries until they need to be, and it's always in the summer months.

And BTW, my DW's car (an '02 Olds), my "baby" (an '02 Mustang GT), and my "primary car" (an '05 Caddy SRX, which is parked outside year round, BTW) don't have a bit of rust on them, even driven in winter.

And no, we don't wash them at all (except for my "baby") during the winter or even the rest of the time of the year (that's what rain is for).

Some three decades ago? Maybe the rust was a problem at that time, but today? Not a fraction of what was the past. I'll credit the vehicle manufactures on that point.

Last edited:
Arthritis.
Really? A medical condition that depends on where you hang your hat? :cool: ...

BTW, DW/me are both 64, have lived in cold weather (part of the year) 95% of our lives, and neither have this condition.

Now if you can state (and reference) that there are no cases of Arthritis below the M/D line, maybe l'll take your observation as fact.

Just wondering...

Some three decades ago? Maybe the rust was a problem at that time, but today? Not a fraction of what was the past...

It's not as bad as in the past with the rust resistant materials they use now but it's still a problem. If they use salt on your roads then there WILL be problems with rust. Maybe in PA they use a sand/salt mixture that is less harsh than around here. Here they still use mainly just salt.

I loved growing up in CT. Winter and seasons are great for kids and young adults. However, I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area while in college. The climate if moderate here. I don't like it too hot or too cold. If I need to experience Winter then I can travel.

DH and I love living in the cold north woods of central Wisconsin. No hurricanes or tropical storms here. Seldom do we have tornadoes. Ice storms are rare. We do have a few big snow storms a year but they don't usually slow us down. Have never had a 4-wheel drive vehicle and haven't ever needed one. Our roads are plowed soon after the bulk of the snow stops. Vehicle is kept in the garage so no worries about it not starting. Don't think we will move anywhere else after we retire.

DW and I both grew up in places where it's warm (she in the South, me in SoCal) and we both prefer Ohio. I understand why folks flee cool weather, but it's just not a big irritant to us. The car has a heater, the house is warm, we can put on a coat and hat. We've lived down south and the winters are nice, but the other 8 sweat-through-your-shirt-on-the-walk-to the-car months are just not worth it to us.

I think folks often want to get away from whatever they grew up with. And places with perfect weather (SoCal) attract so many people that I'd much rather just put on a coat and get where I'm going without the traffic and mass of humanity.

We do have a few big snow storms a year but they don't usually slow us down.
Nothing better than a bare couple on a rug in front of a raging fire :cool: ...

Sorry; nothing better than a couple on a Bear rug in front of a raging fire :LOL: ...

(hope that's PG enough for you on the forum..)

Some "winter sports" are better than others (and most are not in the Winter Olympics!)

Last edited:
Nothing better than a bare couple on a rug in front of a raging fire :cool: ...

Sorry; nothing better than a couple on a Bear rug in front of a raging fire :LOL: ...

(hope that's PG enough for you on the forum..)

Some "winter sports" are better than others (and most are not in the Winter Olympics!)

Your sounding pretty frisky today, is the warm weather getting to you:D

Your sounding pretty frisky today, is the warm weather getting to you:D
Thanks for the "compliment". My DW said I haven't been frisky ("risky" in younger days) for many a year.

I'm just having a good time. Heck, I/we are alive, FI, and retired.

Maybe it's due to an obit that was in the paper this past week (a former co-worker/woman who is the same age as we are) and you sit back and realize how good you actually have it, at the current time...

Really? A medical condition that depends on where you hang your hat? :cool: ...

BTW, DW/me are both 64, have lived in cold weather (part of the year) 95% of our lives, and neither have this condition.

Now if you can state (and reference) that there are no cases of Arthritis below the M/D line, maybe l'll take your observation as fact.

Just wondering...
Perhaps I was not clear. Anyone with rheumatoid arthritis can certainly attest to the affects of cold damp environment on joints. Early winter and early spring are particularly noteworthy, very unwelcome.

I just don't GET it. So, on this hot, hot, hot July 4th I thought it might be entertaining to start a thread for people to complain about why they don't like living in a cold climate. Have at it! :)
I don't understand why people would put up with "extreme climates" of any nature.

This part of Oahu is a "Goldilocks climate". With the right insulation on the roof we don't need A/C, heat, ceiling fans, clothing, footwear, or other "essentials" of life.

Of course this is no fun for weather forecasters: "Highs today in the mid 80s, lows tonight in the mid 70s, tradewinds 10-15 knots, conditions should persist through 2020 with a hurricane or two!"

Back
Top Bottom