Why I Hate Warmer Climates

Keim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's 95f out and I'm not happy!

In honor of W2Rs very successful cold climate thread. What about the folks that prefer things a little cooler.

Aside from the obvious, what don't you like about the heat?

For me:
Bugs!
Tend to be lots of people.
I tire more easily.

Lets hear about the bad side of warm climates!

Last edited:
Upstate NY in the lake effect snow band doesn't exactly qualify...however...
Anything above 85F is a catalyst to trigger my hot flashes to a constant (vs the usual intermittent) rate, so I tend to stay inside in AC when it gets that warm (or warmer) up here.
The good news is it cools down nicely each night. :cool:

I read someone say it was 111 degrees with 80% humidity near DC today. That just boggles the mind!!

Around here, if it's 95 out, the humidity has usually dropped into the 40s. Huge difference!

sunburns and peeling!
heat exhaustion.
dehydration.
sun stroke.

Airconditioning. I don't like it. Having to live in it day and night, without windows open and fresh air, drives me crazy.

I read someone say it was 111 degrees with 80% humidity near DC today. That just boggles the mind!!

That's why I prefer to stay in north Florida where it's cooler. :D

Cheers!

The temps have been brutal this year so far, thank God the humidity hasn't been as high as it usually gets. I think the balance of July and August are going to be just as bad. And to think people are still scoffing at global warming.

I was on the water this weekend with a nice breeze. But at 100+ degrees and humid it is still miserable. I like to do a 20-30 mile bike ride in the morning but in this weather fuggedaboutit.

I don't mind the heat. It's the humidity that gets me. Both Alberta and Arizona are very dry but Ontario can be really humid in the summer. Not today though. Some showers went through yesterday and cooled things off nicely. I am actually wearing a sweater this AM as the breeze off the lake is little chilly. Beautiful!

That must be a "heat index" number. But here, 80 miles away from DC, opening the front door still felt like opening an oven and the temp on the back porch was 100 F.

Airconditioning. I don't like it. Having to live in it day and night, without windows open and fresh air, drives me crazy.

There's a 65 year old Taiwanese man who lives next door to my mother and he never has his a/c on. He cut all his trees down a few years ago and has no shade as a result. Doesn't have any ceiling fans, just raises one window on the front and back side of house for some air circulation. I don't know how he stands it, but he says he's fine. Must be a cultural thing. The crazy thing is.....he only stays here in the hot summer and spends the rest of the year in Dallas and Taiwan. He says it's hotter in Dallas in the Summer because of all the concrete and comes here for a little break.:LOL:

I don't mind the heat. It's the humidity that gets me.

That seems to be the case for many of us.

However, having lived at least for a while in pretty much every possible type of climate zone in various parts of the world, I know for a fact that I'm not suited to hot climates, humid or not.

Currently in Ohio, and can't imagine ever living further south. Don't even like to visit warmer places.

There's a 65 year old Taiwanese man who lives next door to my mother and he never has his a/c on. He cut all his trees down a few years ago and has no shade as a result. Doesn't have any ceiling fans, just raises one window on the front and back side of house for some air circulation. I don't know how he stands it, but he says he's fine. Must be a cultural thing.
I think it is simply a matter of acclimatization.

My FIL worked outside all his life as a welder and as a ranch hand (AKA "cowboy"). He lived in west TX and refused to have air conditioning. When he had hip surgery in his late 70's we installed a couple of window units in his house. Once he recovered he took them out so he could open his windows and get a 100 degree breeze...

Last edited:
We simply do not hate them. Averages are fine. Hot vs SNOW!! Hot wins every time. Hot and High Humidity can be tedious, but beats -25*F & snow.

SWR

Hot vs SNOW!!
It dosen't snow every time it gets cold.

As for us? We'll take the cold (yes, and even the snow) over warmer temps. BTW, I lived in Texas and DW/me lived in Florida but returned to PA to live/retire.

I guess it has to also depend on what your experience is. We have no problem driving in snow/ice (been doing it since we got our respective drivers licenses, close to a half-century ago).

BTW, Bing Crosby sang "White Christmas" - not green/brown Christmas :LOL: ...

Last edited:
The past couple of weeks it has been ten degrees cooler down here than in Ohio... :)
I almost died last summer in Nebraska and Iowa when we got stuck in one of their summer heat waves. It was 97 degrees with still 95%+ humidity! I had never experienced anything that intense even living in TX all my adult life.

I think the Iowa humidity is caused by all that irrigated corn........ Well, OK, we were also close to the Mississippi, but how does that explain Nebraska's humidity?

We simply do not hate them. Averages are fine. Hot vs SNOW!! Hot wins every time. Hot and High Humidity can be tedious, but beats -25*F & snow.

SWR

+1

I stopped complaining about the heat and humidity years ago because I know the alternative is far worse(for me).

After a week in New York I almost fainted with relief to return to Seattle. Loved NYC but walking all day in that heat was tough. In my mind, 75 is hot. 100 is a furnace!

:)

The heat never bothers me at all, hotter the better. That's assuming of course that I am not being forced to do outside chores in the heat. If I can keep still when its brutally hot out, it makes a big difference.

Haven't even put on a pair of shorts yet this year...Don't have A/C at our house, really only couple of times a year I even think about turning it on (if I had it).

The older I get (48 now), its the cold that gets me, not the heat.

Why I hate hot weather, let me count the ways....

. bugs
. motorcycles
. humidity
. sweating when standing in the garden holding the watering wand and I am not moving
. the powerful sun adding to the potential of more skin cancer after several skin cancers have been removed
. having to dress in long pants long sleeved shirt with a wide brimmed hat that raises my head temperature 10 degrees any time I'm out for more than 5 minutes see previous comment as to why I have to dress like this
. high electric bills due to running A/C from June through September.

I'm sure there are many more reasons but off the top of my head this is more than enough reasons why I am happy when it's late September and I'm looking forwards to fall and winter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom