Why I think RVing Sucks.

That must have been interesting -- while towing a trailer even! Amazing that you found [-]any [/-]enough competitors.

Nice rig, in any event.
LOL, let me clarify what i raced, it was a 1,450 hp blown alcohol 1940 willys coupe. ran 7.02 @ 195 in the 1/4 mile.
img_917206_0_dac2b1abec3c4df15bfbffdc9b3d67bb.jpg

i had to do some "out of position" welding when i built the car.
my old rottweiler Sammy was helping me. not a day goes by that i do not miss him. :(
img_917206_1_e34548412b26572d5efc28e4c0aeb1e3.jpg

So after all the posts, I guess OPs opinion has not changed.:whistle:

It has been interesting reading so far and some good info. As I originally mentioned, "sucks" was rather harsh, but it did get people posting!

I guess what I like to imagine and what is reality, offer differ. What I would like to imagine is a "loaded & ready to go machine" and the moment we feel bored, we could hop in and just go. I like the spontaneity, freedom and adventure in that!

But when I observe what the local RVing crowd is doing, along with what I see on the web, it looks much less appealing.

I have traveled a fair bit and could afford other travel methods describe in some of these posts, but to a certain extent they lack the spontaneity.

So after discussing with DW, I think we'll likely own a decent RV once the kids are gone and use it when we feel up to it. But also travel and live in other parts of the world for extended periods of time (as we had always imagined). That way I know it will sit for long periods of time unused and won't feel bad about not using it.

Perhaps there will be enough good places and Audreyh1s on the road to offset the bad.

E86S54

It has been interesting reading so far and some good info. As I originally mentioned, "sucks" was rather harsh, but it did get people posting!

I guess what I like to imagine and what is reality, offer differ. What I would like to imagine is a "loaded & ready to go machine" and the moment we feel bored, we could hop in and just go. I like the spontaneity, freedom and adventure in that!

But when I observe what the local RVing crowd is doing, along with what I see on the web, it looks much less appealing.

I have traveled a fair bit and could afford other travel methods describe in some of these posts, but to a certain extent they lack the spontaneity.

So after discussing with DW, I think we'll likely own a decent RV once the kids are gone and use it when we feel up to it. But also travel and live in other parts of the world for extended periods of time (as we had always imagined). That way I know it will sit for long periods of time unused and won't feel bad about not using it.

Perhaps there will be enough good places and Audreyh1s on the road to offset the bad.

E86S54

You serious about that, [-]Clark[/-] e86s54?

Attachments

• Cousin_Eddie.jpg
    Cousin_Eddie.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 125
E86S54,

We have been doing the RV thing for about 5 years now primarily because we were looking for a diffrent way of vacationing. Both my wife and I have traveled extensively and we just got tired of plane travel all the time (we still love Hawaii and Europe.. actually Asia and Australia and South America and every else too). We have a pretty high end RV (43' long with 1.5 baths) and like to bring the comforts of home with us but we also bring kayaks, bicycles, golf clubs, basketball etc with us. Most of our RV trips we barely spend any time at the park / resort. We generally are on the water or bicycle or hiking to explore where we are. I do agree there are a limited number of real resort type accomodations, I wish there were more. Planning to RE in about 19 months and will go on the road for as long as the mood strikes us (my guess is at least 9 months). We have gone cross country once with a travel trailer and had a ball, the only problem is we were limited on time. Each time we stopped we wanted to explore more.. One of the best things I have found about doing this is the fun in research and planning. I do most of the research on campgrounds / routes and we work out an activity plan. We have hit a few places which were not so great so we just moved on, but most of the time we have a great time.

Who cares what the local RV crowd is doing? There is no rule that says you have to do what they do. An RV is simply an apartment on wheels. Move it where you want and do what you want once you get there . . . that can include everything from attending a symphony to backpacking in the wilderness. What you do is entirely up to you.

Who cares what the local RV crowd is doing? There is no rule that says you have to do what they do. An RV is simply an apartment on wheels. Move it where you want and do what you want once you get there . . . that can include everything from attending a symphony to backpacking in the wilderness. What you do is entirely up to you.

Well put.:)

Sure, I guess I've always observed people to get a sense of things.

I guess in these posts I wanted a better sense from people who are or have done it and to a certain extent done that.

I think I will do the "rent before you buy" thing.

Regards...E86S54

RV'ing not for me but I sure like passing them in my M6 up in the mountains.

Danmar...perhaps you'd be the only one on this thread that would know what my handle means!

E86 S54

Danmar...perhaps you'd be the only one on this thread that would know what my handle means!

E86 S54

tal vez, tal vez no...
(Yo tengo un BMW a mi mismo-deseo de conducir hacia el sur de la frontera)

;)

As I originally mentioned, "sucks" was rather harsh, but it did get people posting

So, then, the most important take-away you should have gotten, from this thread, is that you don't need to use subtrefuge to gain knowledge from this bunch.

(Did you notice how the thread just carried on as if you didn't exist.)

Sure, I guess I've always observed people to get a sense of things.

I guess in these posts I wanted a better sense from people who are or have done it and to a certain extent done that.

I think I will do the "rent before you buy" thing.

Regards...E86S54
I just think that your observations have just been very limited.

It would be better to think about where you want to travel in North America, and then whether traveling by RV would enhance the experience for you or not.

RV rallies are popular. I see them a lot. They are especially popular with regional/local groups who do short RV get togethers. They do nothing for me however - not my idea of fun at all. I RV to enjoy a location (and have my own place there) and to be able to travel at my own pace. I'm not into the "socializing" part of RVing, although I do enjoy chatting with friendly neighbors.

My point is - there are many, many different reasons people use RVs. So what you have observed is probably just a fragment.

Audrey

So, then, the most important take-away you should have gotten, from this thread, is that you don't need to use subtrefuge to gain knowledge from this bunch.

Damn! where were you about 2000 of my posts ago? :LOL:

Ron,

This is a forum for retired people, threads on any topic seem to go on forever and in all directions regardless :)

E86S54

I just think that your observations have just been very limited. snip...My point is - there are many, many different reasons people use RVs. So what you have observed is probably just a fragment.

Audrey

Audrey,

Absolutely, hence the OP. Your post have been very good an more along the lines of what I needed to hear.

Happy Trails!

E86

This is a forum for retired people...

I think RV should be allowed only for retired (or semi-retired :blush:) people. Full-time workers can't possibly make good use of an RV.

Retired people just do not care! :D

I think RV should be allowed only for retired (or semi-retired :blush:) people. Full-time workers can't possibly make good use of an RV.
Just in case you hadn't noticed (yet), there are lots of full-time workers that live in RVs (full time or part time). Insurance adjustors, real-estate developer staff, traveling nurses, commercial construction workers, military contractors, all sorts of contractors, sales people.

Some of these workers fill up the available parks in areas where there is a development boom. You couldn't even find an RV spot near Beaumont a couple of years ago due to the gas boom. Many of the less expensive (and usually tight) RV parks are full of these folks.

Most recreational RVers figure out really quick whether a park caters to working folks or recreational folks. It's some of those "working folks" RV parks that sometimes are very unappealing.

Audrey

OK. I should have said "recreational use of RV". I stand corrected.

PS. Wait a minute. That's the R in the RV. :LOL:

Originally Posted by utrecht
Im not sure Im reading this chart correctly. Does it mean that I could buy a 6 year old RV, travel the country for a year and then sell it and only lose $2500-$3000 from what I originally paid (assuming its well maintained)
Yes, but remember this chart represents an average of what you should expect based on history and things do change. RV prices dropped steeply during the double whammy of high fuel prices followed by the market crash. For a year or so you probably couldn't have sold at all, much less at these prices.

That said, under "normal" circumstances if you owned a reasonably well-thought of brand and you sold it yourself rather than as a trade in or on consignment, your statement above is correct.
Lots of work finding one that has been treated all gentle like, keeping it up to snuff, and then selling at the right time the right way, etc. and so on.

Maybe this is one of those lifestyle issues - to own a house or to rent, etc.

But, and since this was supposed to be a thread about why RV'ing sucks, I have to say I keep looking at that depreciation chart and thinking to myself - all that evaporated money would have bought a lot of nights in some nice hotel rooms.

Hyatt's Summerfield Suites have fully equipped kitchens, wifi or high speed cable internet, 24 hour fitness, convenience store, etc, and so on for about $75 a night.

Yep, I could buy me a bunch of them nights with that money, and not ever have to worry about having my hotel room towed if it breaks down.

Maybe this is one of those lifestyle issues - to own a house or to rent, etc.
Yep

But, and since this was supposed to be a thread about why RV'ing sucks, I have to say I keep looking at that depreciation chart and thinking to myself - all that evaporated money would have bought a lot of nights in some nice hotel rooms.
Yep

Hyatt's Summerfield Suites have fully equipped kitchens, wifi or high speed cable internet, 24 hour fitness, convenience store, etc, and so on for about $75 a night.
Yep

BUT . . . . Can you get a Hyatt room right on Lake Coeur d'Alene? I mean right on the shore as in 15 feet from the water's edge. Where you prepare and serve yourself a leisurely dinner followed by a glass of wine while watching the sun set over the early autumn sky. And the next morning you wake up, grab your bike, and go explore the incredible Trail Of The Coeur d'Alene's bike trail which is only 100 feet from the door of your RV.

coeurdalene_evening.jpg

I'm still working at mega-corp. We bought this trailer 2nd hand (LBYM!). We are trying out the RV life and learning what we enjoy, what we don't enjoy, and getting everything in place for our upcoming early retirement.

Cheers!
--Linney

BUT . . . . Can you get a Hyatt room right on Lake Coeur d'Alene? I mean right on the shore as in 15 feet from the water's edge. Where you prepare and serve yourself a leisurely dinner followed by a glass of wine while watching the sun set over the early autumn sky. And the next morning you wake up, grab your bike, and go explore the incredible Trail Of The Coeur d'Alene's bike trail which is only 100 feet from the door of your RV.

Oh! Oh! Lake Coeur d'Alene is one of the most beautiful places in the mainland/lower 48 United States. Just having a RV enhances one's chances of even being aware of such beauty let alone seeing and experienceing it.

Back
Top Bottom