Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do think that mobile devices will become more and more useful and even necessary. I posted awhile back a post about the many things that a smartphone can do and it is a long list:

Son wants to waste money

I also find myself doing more and more online (although not necessarily using a mobile device) and am annoyed when I can't do some things online -- the restaurant without a menu and nutritional info online, the vendor where you can't pay online, etc.

I have an iPad and a smartphone (currently an Android phone, previously had an iphone) and use them all the time.

That said, I'm sitting here with my brand new Falcon Northwest Tiki computer and looking at one 26" monitor and another 24" monitor. I love my iPad for consuming media but for actual writing or doing things beyond that -- give me a desktop PC.

And, I play World of Warcraft which requires a real computer not an iPad. And I love the power of a gaming computer.

That said -- I often have to realize that I am not typical. I was talking to a co-worker recently who said that her PC at home is gathering dust as she uses her iPad almost exclusively. Many people primarily use computers for consumption of information and find the iPad enough alone. It isn't enough for me, but it probably is enough for most people.

The ideal device would be one that could serve all these functions. Could be a tablet like the ipad. Could have an effective keyboard for heavier duty use. Could run all the PC programs and hook up to dual large monitors. Some of that exists now, but not all of it in one package.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #22

In the UK you can use your mobile phone at ATM's to get cash from Natwest and Royal Bank of Scotland.

BBC News - ATMs to operate without a card

This week I was listening to Moneybox on the BBC where they have had to suspend the service because a number of folks have had their accounts hacked and lots of cash withdrawn without their since they had not even downloaded the app, but the thieves had, and the bank doesn't know how it is happening. At first they were accusing the complainants that they must have given personal details to fraudsters but with enough incidents they realized that the apps were being downloaded some other way. (To get the app you call the bank, answer some detailed questions, enter a PIN and an app is downloaded to your smartphone).

Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm also glad someone mentioned the brain interface. This will happen, sooner than people think. But before the brain, at least a "glasses" based interface is right around the corner. Very soon plenty of people will be mobile and you won't even know they are.
https://plus.google.com/+projectglass/posts
I saw these at an event at my workplace. It's coming.

And like you - I'm hung up on the prices of the mobile connectivity. I have an android tablet - but it's wifi. And I just got a smart phone but am thinking of cancelling the data plan because I don't use it that much except as a phone.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #24

Don't know, don't care. It'll be a long time before I give up my buggy whip.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
In the UK you can use your mobile phone at ATM's to get cash from Natwest and Royal Bank of Scotland.

BBC News - ATMs to operate without a card

This week I was listening to Moneybox on the BBC where they have had to suspend the service because a number of folks have had their accounts hacked and lots of cash withdrawn without their since they had not even downloaded the app, but the thieves had, and the bank doesn't know how it is happening. At first they were accusing the complainants that they must have given personal details to fraudsters but with enough incidents they realized that the apps were being downloaded some other way. (To get the app you call the bank, answer some detailed questions, enter a PIN and an app is downloaded to your smartphone).
I predict a LOT of fraud with the explosion of wireless mobile applications.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Don't know, don't care. It'll be a long time before I give up my buggy whip.
I am caught in the middle of both the new and the old world. Old world - daily newspaper, checks, balance the check book, and stamps. New world-on line financial transactions of mutual funds and treasury direct, no land line, and view, but do not conduct online transactions through my checking account. IPad and some cloud music.
Probably will always be on the " short bus" in regards to advancing technology.