World's Oldest Backpacker

I really liked that he spends his time in hostels with young people. I've learned from the brief interactions we've had with backpackers in the same age range that they've enriched our (comparatively) older lives considerably. I'm jealous of his lightweight bag, though--no way I could make do with 2 sets of clothes!
I wish there was a way to keep up with him, but as the author says, he doesn't even do email.

My mom did youth hostel into her early 80s... but stopped traveling in her mid 80s... she loved being with the young kids... and even went with some of them to a disco (I think it was in her 70s though)....

One of the good aspect of this was she could get someone to go places with her... if it was more difficult to get somewhere she would ask someone that wanted to get there also if they would drive... she would rent the car and could just sightsee...

She did not go as light as this guy, but was not that far behind.... I think the big difference is she would make short trips and come home... not doing it all the time like this guy seems to be doing....

I just do not have the same bug for some reason....

It sounds great. I travelled throughout Europe for over two months last year and mostly stayed in hostels. I was 47. Every country's hostel culture is different. Sure, in Spain and Portugal hostels are more of a party atmosphere with lots of college kids. But they were well-behaved for the most part. In Germany, Switzerland, and Denmark, hostels are very family oriented. Hostels are a great place to meet people while backpacking, no matter how old you are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom